Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a lefty and am surprised at how many right handed people would like ambidextrous safety that I've talked with. I would definitely be buying more handguns if the safety were on the right side, easy 1 hand operation. Why ambi on the 3" Ronin EMP but not the 4" ?

·
464 Posts
I'm wanting a 4" EMP ambidextrous. Looks like I'm out of luck.
You may be able to find an original 4" EMP still available on line somewhere. They were pricier than the Ronin EMP but had the ambi safety and front strap checkering. As stated earlier, the mags are proprietary. They also have the full length guide rod and require a little different take down method than a standard 1911.
You may also check and see what it would take to put an ambi safety on a Ronin EMP. I would think Wilson Combat and some other folks make the parts.

·
464 Posts
I believe Kimber makes a 4" ambi safety 9mm 1911. Don't know much about it. I've heard mixed reviews on Kimber products through the years, although that's true with about any brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a lefty and am surprised at how many right handed people would like ambidextrous safety that I've talked with. I would definitely be buying more handguns if the safety were on the right side, easy 1 hand operation. Why ambi on the 3" Ronin EMP but not the 4" ?
Not exactly on topic but, well sorta related.
I am right handed but love shooting a left handed bolt action rifle from the bench. I don't have to lose my cheek weld or move my hand/finger out of or away from the trigger guard/pistol grip. To my way of thinking that allows for more potential accuracy.

As to ambi controls on a handgun, I only use the RH control's but ambi handguns don't bother me, probably adds a few dollars to the price of the handgun I but can live with that. I am glad that I don't have to live in a left handed world. I don't envy you lefties!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a lefty and am surprised at how many right handed people would like ambidextrous safety

Welcome to the Forum.
Although I am right handed, my wife and one son are left handed.
Ambi controls are something I always consider when buying a pistol, and in fact that is how we initially got into Walthers. Their P22s were ambi with both safety and magazine release, and my wife still carries her PK380 because 1) it was completely ambi and 2) the physical layout was exactly like the her P22 so that the muscle memory from (cheap ammo) P22 practice carried right over to her every day carry PK380
Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like these two points would be a marketing advantage, although I have not seen them being used as such

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know, except they tried to keep the base price lower. I sent mine to Springfield for the right side (now ambi) safety (2 1/2 weeks) and it was a perfectly fitted install. I just asked customer service for a round trip RMA which they sent by e mail. Printed it, labeled the box and Fed Ex picked it up at the gun shop. Actually 2 1/2 weeks it arrived back home ready to go. I recommend this route and they fit the safety as it should be. Very nice. As a lefty, I made darn sure they would do it before I bought the gun as it would be worthless to me without it. Customer service assured me they did (like three different times :) so I bought it and shipped it straight off. No problems what so ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts