XDS-4.0 4" .45 high ride owb holster for a suit?

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by JeremyMcG, Jan 30, 2015.

1. JeremyMcG

JeremyMcG Diapers or Ammo??

I've been a Glock guy for my entire shooting life. However I just purchased (still being shipped) an XDS-4.9 4" .45 because it's as thin as I could find. I will be using this as my primary CCW. I just changed careers and I now wear a suit everyday. :(

I NEED the thinnest (I'm thinking kydex) holster that is a high ride style to be worn OWB with a dress belt.

Any suggestions?

Also, I'm anxious for my gun to come in and had to buy a few things for it already.
    ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1422597543.490332.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1422597565.943107.jpg

I dabble in photography...

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

OWB? You want a REAL HOLSTER , with XF Floral Carving.

Damn, you need to come by here on a weekend and take some pictures of my guns!

Too bad about the suit.

And you're gonna have so much fun with your SA, you're gonna need THIS.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. JeremyMcG

Thank you. I've been prowling the forums on the mobile version on my phone for a while. So it kinda felt, to me, that I'd been around for a while or I would have introduced myself better. :)

I reload. A lot. But this is my first .45 so I've been putting the $ towards dies and powder and all that goes with a new caliber that I've not reloaded before.

I did pick up a few hundred rounds in the Winchester White box - and a couple hundred of the Federal HST Tactical (after I learned the ballistics are exactly the same as the personal defense but the price is nearly 1/2.)

Oh, and feel free to ship me any of your guns - I'd be more than happy to take photos of them... and maybe do a little shooting while I'm at it.... action shots, you know.

5. pokute

Ah great, another reloader! Between Deerspy, who loads down, and me, who loads through the roof, you can get lots of info for sticking rounds in the barrel or blowing out cases right here in this forum!

Ship you my guns? Might as well ask to borrow my dog!

6. JeremyMcG

I'm running a Dillon RL550B. Mostly reload for .357 Magnum, .38 Special, 5.56, .40, and 9mm - and apparently now, .45. I NEVER use my own reloads for my carry rounds - only for training/practice as I've not yet been able to find a single powder that has even semi-decent flash retardant and they all (in my experience) blind the hell out of me at night. So, I carry either Speer Gold Dot (9mm and .40) or the Federal HST (.45) for anything that I'm carrying.

I ordered the XDS-4.0 from Grabagun.com and they still haven't shipped the thing yet. So, I won't be expecting to actually fondle my new .45 until late next week. :(

7. JeremyMcG

Whelp, I think I've found my OWB holster for use with a suit and the XDS-4.0 .45...

[​IMG]

The Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB Holster...

They sport a full lifetime warranty on every part of the holsters; a 30 day test drive with full return if I don't like it, and they will let me trade my shell (free for life) if I change to a new gun.
    Don't think I can beat that.

8. pokute

4.6gr of Bullseye behind a 230gr bullet should be low flash.

9. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

Congrats on your new XDS. That 30 day holster test drive is a great deal.

10. JeremyMcG

Whelp, I've never reloaded for .45 before. I'm used to compression loads in my .40 - and out of a Glock 22 that's still flashy. And on my 38 specials, I load 5.7 grains of Unique behind a 125gr bullet - and it's super bright at night...and smoky. So, for practice, It's not important to me, I'll use whatever whenever - but for carry... I prefer to use factory, and typically the same stuff the cops use.

Yeah, that and the shell swap was what sold me on Alien Gear.

11. pokute

Unique will burn very inefficiently in that load, as you discovered. If you're running compressed loads under .40 you're using the wrong powder for reduced flash. Bullseye is what you want. I load 8gr Power Pistol under a 200 in 10mm, and the flash will blind you and set the vinyl top on fire while the bullet passes the long way through a stretch limo full of chain-smoking vegans.

12. JeremyMcG

I just peed a little.

Thanks for that.

13. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Pokute does have a way with words, doesn't he! Ha

14. JeremyMcG

Tracking info shows the gun is in the next town over... But no matter how many times I refresh the page they aren't seeming to move it to the FFL until tomorrow. :(

15. pokute

Not like I don't have any competition ;)

16. pokute

Tracking was invented by a cabal of sadists. I once had a package spend so long in the main PO that you could see it in the Google satellite pic.

17. JeremyMcG

Aaaarrruuugggghhhh!

Stupid VA medical appointment - preventing me from heading to the gun store and waiting for UPS to arrive.

18. pokute

Ah, it all becomes clear now... They want to be sure you get your meds before you get your gun! This seems to argue in favor of Intelligent Design.

19. JeremyMcG

Ha! The universe is conspiring against me.

I schedule a phone conference for an interview for a job I'm trying for "after 1:00pm" thinking that gives me plenty of time to get out of the VA Med Center, get to the gun store, do the paperwork, get home and play before the phone call.

The interviewer sends me an email saying the call has been scheduled for 3:00pm... well, that is after 1:00 pm...

I leave the hosp and go to the gun store - ask what time the UPS normally gets there so I don't pace their floors - he says, "3:00pm like clockwork"

Well poop.

I can't interview well knowing my gun will be sitting in a box on a shelf just 3 miles from my house not being able to go get it....stupid employment stuff.....

20. JeremyMcG

[​IMG]

Had a holster commissioned specifically for me...

I love it.