Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered and received my first Springfield a 9mm Mod 2 and I have a few questions.

Prior to ordering I shot a Mod 2 at the local range for an hour and became familiar with it. I also spent an hour with a S&W Shield, Sig, Ruger and with a glock before making my final choice. I've shot a few friends striker style pistols over the years as well. So I'm somewhat familiar with this style of gun.

My questions are specifically regarding a brand new unfired Springfield Mod 2.

I've owned a few pistols but this will be my first striker style pistol. The manual doesn't state any particular break in or pre break in procedures. I know my last new pistol the manual had a break in procedure and check list.

The gun shop I purchased my gun from said that Striker style pistols are ready to fire right out of the box. Everyone tells me to just put a few hundred rounds through it and it will be broke in.

Well ..... I'm a little more anal than that I guess. So please bare with me.

Prior to shooting any new gun I want to know what precautions I should take, what and where should I lubricate. What type of oil or lubrication will provide me, not only the best break in, but also help my firearm be trouble free and most reliable. What should I be visually inspecting for safety and reliability prior to firing?

I did a google search and I found a wide range of break in practices but none left me feeling confident in what was being provided. Some say I shouldn't field strip it until after break in and just go shoot it. Some say I should field strip and inspect it before shooting.

My plan is to hit the range this weekend and before I do I want to make sure I'm doing things the right way.

So what steps did you take prior to shooting your new Mod 2 or other Striker style Springfield?

Also how many rounds do you recommend in the first session? Should I allow a cool down period between sessions?

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
635 Posts
XD "Break-In"

Hi. I responded earlier saying that my general practice is to run 200 problem-free rounds through any gun before I trust it as a carry piece.

I am no expert, but I do have a .45 XD Mod 2 and a 9 mm XDs. They are "broken-in" and both have 500+ (maybe closer to a 1000; I don't count anymore) rounds without a FTF or FTE or any other similar issue.

The Mod 2 did have a very tight mag release out of the box. Eventually the mag release became very loose. Springfield said to send it in, and they fixed it for free. Just yesterday I shot it for the first time since it's trip to SA. Fired 50 rounds of cheap Federal target ammo, FMJ. Flawless!

So here is what I did to "break-in" my 2 members of the XD family. First, I DID field strip and clean BEFORE shooting. Too much or too little lube can adversely affect function, and not knowing what lube was used, how much, and how long ago, I always clean all firearms out of the box BEFORE shooting.

After cleaning, I oil all of the slide on the inside, then I wipe it mostly away. Then I place a drop on each side of the rail grove inside the slide. I usually end up getting impatient and add a second drop when the bead of oil slows near the middle of the slide. Then I gently wipe off the excess but leaving some.

Then I generously oil the barrel, inside and out. Then I remove the excess. Then I put a drop on the square top of the barrel because it seems like an obvious heavy friction point.

Then, I reassemble, rack it 5 or so times, wipe off all excess oil, and FIRE AWAY.

As for what kind of oil to use, everyone has their preferences, much like engine oil. I avoid anything that has wax in it. My current favorite product for cleaning and lubricating is CLP (Clean Lube Protect, made by Break-Free). Some friends in the military recommended it. For lube alone, I like T-9 by Boeshield.

Happy shooting and God bless!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Springfield today.

Here is what they recommended.

They instructed me to break it down prior to shooting. Then to inspect for loose packaging material and a plugged barrel. They suggested to oil all moving parts and to make sure the barrel was well oiled. Then to wipe away any excess oil.

They also stated that there's no specified amount of rounds needed to consider it broken in. Personally I'd want to put at least a few hundred rounds through it before I'd deem it trust worthy. They also stated there's no recommended round limit or barrel cool down period. Then to go ahead and fire as many shots as I wish with no fears of overheating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've owned my Mod 2 for over a year. The only advice I can give you is to clean it before you hit the range and shoot it. I've fired over 3,000 rounds and NOT ONE problem from day one.

Oh. You might want to find a way to make extra money for ammo.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I have now placed 300 rounds through her. I broke it down, inspected and cleaned it. I oiled the barrel and slides liberally and then swiped away any access oils. So far it's been flawless.

Good news is I finally got my gear up process approval confirmation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.