XD Mod 2 Owners - I Have Questions

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by SA_Shooter, Mar 22, 2016.

1. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

With summer approaching, I need to start looking for a lighter, smaller carry piece. The XD Mod 2 has my interest and it looks like just the right firearm for me.

I'm contemplating the 3.3" XD Mod 2 in a .45 ACP but have never shot such a short barreled beast. All my .45 time has been spent with full size 1911's. So, I have questions. :)

1. If you have a 1911 and an XD Mod 2, how's the recoil?

2. It looks like the rear sight is adjustable. Have any of you XD Mod 2 owners adjusted it for windage?

3. How's the grip with the 9 round magazine? Any problems with it being too short?

4. Lastly, (honest!!!) how's the grip with the extended magazine?

I'd also, if you have the time, hear about your general impressions of the weapon such as using it for a carry piece, accuracy, ease of cleaning, etc...

My thanks in advance. I appreciate any input you can provide.

-Michael

2. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

If you don't get an answer we have several members with the Mod 2's over on the sister forum
    http://www.xdforum.com/forum/. Post your questions there and I'm sure someone can help.

3. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Thanks. I did some perusing over there and found some good info. I got an opportunity to shoot a Glock, an XD Mod 2 and an XD-s today.

My initial impressions were:

1. I know they are reliable. I know they are very popular with a lot of people. However, I just don't like the feel of a Glock in my hand. It's out.

2. I need to spend more time at the range with the XD Mod 2 and XD-S to make a decision. I like them both but the XD-S felt a bit better in my hand due to my short and stubby fingers. :)

4. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Supporter

Ditto on 3T's suggestion to ask that question over on XDforum.com. There are a few guys over there who routinely carry the XD-s, 3T included.

Being a XD fan myself, I picked up a XD-s 9 early on. Not being a big guy at all the XD-s felt really good in my smaller hands. I couldn't however get used to the more aggressive grip of the newer XD models like the XD-s and the XDm's. I ended up switching over to the S&W Shield 9 and really liked it. My son now has it, as I've since moved on to the Glock43, (my first Glock).

Another option for consideration might be the Kahr PM45. I've got a buddy who has one and loves it. Me and Kahr's have never really gotten along well. I couldn't get used to the long trigger pull. Like my buddy though, plenty of guys seem to really like them.

5. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

Have had my Xd Mod 2 sub-compact .40 cal for a year or so....
    Took no time to get acquainted with it....grip and overall feel
    fell right in place.

Haven't messed with rear sight, as I concentrate on shooting
    from 10' to 25' with quick draw, so no need for windage adjustments for me.

Take down and cleaning is a piece of cake, as I own 2 other
    Springfield pistols....XDM 9mm and XDM .40 cal both 4.5"

Here is my EDC......

Attached Files:

6. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Thanks for the input!

7. SGTP0311

SGTP0311 New Member

I have an XD mod 2 in .45 ACP. I only have a few hundred rounds through it, but here are my first impressions to your questions;

1). I think the recoil, and the ability to re-target, is slightly higher than my ruger sr1911 commander. It's not bad at all, but i believe it's a little more.

2). I didn't have to make a windage adjustment. Mine was "perfect" for windage at 25 yds.

3). No problems for me with the 9 round mag, it fit my hand well. I have medium sized hands for 6 ft and 200 lbs.

4). The grip with the 13 rd mag does feel better since your pinky-finger doesn't overhang at all.

Accuracy was excellent. Take-down and ckeaning were simple. Overall, it's a great pistol. I can't wait to put more rds through it. It's easy to carry with the holster that comes with it. I highly recommend the xd mod 2 .45.

8. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

Thanks!

I know most folks don't adjust for windage but I am left eye/right hand dominant since I had laser surgery on the old eyeballs. So I do have to adjust, otherwise I am just guessing about the aim and point of impact. :(

9. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Same here for the Glock. Good gun, bad fit for my hand.

The XD-S single stack design is probably the better choice for small hands, short fingers. I tried XD-S and found it too small a grip for my hands.

I shoot an XDm Compact. The grip extensions mate up very well with the grip. I expect the same level of craftsmanship will be found on either of the XD options you are considering.

10. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

I've decided on the compact XDS in .45 as the XD Mod 2 grip was just a bit too wide for my tastes.

I appreciate everyone's input!

11. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Makes sense. I'm used to the double stack XDm feel and the single stack XDs felt too thin for me.

12. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Good choice. I like mine.

[​IMG]

13. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

It should be here Friday. I'll lube it up Friday nite and spend a little time at the range on Saturday.

14. dondavis3

dondavis3 dondavis3

I've owned both a XD mod two in 45 caliber and also in 9 mm.
    My son talked me out of the 45 but I carry the 9 mm daily
    The 45 definitely kick starter than the 9 mm but it is absolutely manageable for most people
    in any case The XD mod two in any caliber is an outstanding gun

:cool:

15. trc705

trc705 New Member

I have the 1911 is a very good pistol hardly any recoil I also have the CSS it has a3.3 barrel it was a schocker very little recoil and dead on at 45 feet just got the mod 2 taking it to the range Monday it also has the 3.3 barrel I'm sure the recoil is not that bad the recoil doings take all the recoil alway luked 45 caliber i carried a colt when I was with the rangers

16. trc705

trc705 New Member

That's a xds

17. trc705

trc705 New Member

Ya I know I have get rid of auto correct on my phone

18. BoulderThrower

BoulderThrower New Member

Don't know where the original poster has left things, I have a 1911, XD mod.2 in .45 and and XDs in 9mm and an XD-9.

I have big palms, the 9 round mag, was to little for me so I got the Pearce finger extension and it is great now. The larger mag made it fit my hand perfectly.

The kick compared to my 1911 is different. The 1911 is smoother and a little less kick but it's really not as bad as I though it was going to be. It shoots better than I thought it was going to be compared to my XD-9 and XDs in 9mm.

My general impression of the gun is that it's a huge step up from the XD-9 but very similar in feel and operation if you are familiar with the original XD. I will say that so far I enjoy carrying my XDs more but I haven't had as much time with the XD Mod.2 yet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  19. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Replies to XD Mod 2 Questions

Hello, Michael. I have a 3.3 inch bbl. XD Mod2 in .45. I LOVE it, but even with the smaller (9 rd.) mag, it's a little heavy for me to carry concealed all day. Plus it's a bit fat for concealment in some clothes. About the only time it I carry it concealed is when wearing a suit coat. After realizing all the things just mentioned, I opted to carry a XDs 9 mm most of the time. It's much lighter, slimmer and EASILY concealed. Even the grip on a Mod 2 is kind of fat. I love it; for me the fatness of grip is a plus, but some people find it too fat.

As for cleaning, it's MUCH easier than a 1911! Field stripping it is a piece of cake, as is reassembly. There are no hard to reach places or trouble spots when it comes to cleaning.

I suggest you at least hold (preferably shoot) both a Mod 2 and a XDs. I've never shot an XDs in .45, but it's extremely comfortable to shoot in 9 mm.

1. I've of course shot both a Mod 2 .45 and a 1911, but I've never shot both on the same day, so I can't compare the recoil. That said, the recoil on a Mod 2 .45 is quite manageable. I've but 150 rounds through it one after another and had no soreness.

2. I have never adjusted the sights. If I hit mostly 9 and 10 on a silhouette I'm happy, so I've never had reason to fine tune the sights. Regarding over all accuracy, I used my Mod 2 .45 for the shooting qualification for my CWP. That qualification involved firing at a silhouette at various distances from very close to well beyond reasonable self-defense range. My target could not be scored because large chunks of the 9 and 10 areas were virtually gone (The instructor smiled and said I passed.). I feel my Mod 2 is more accurate than I am and that any misses are my fault!

3. I have a Pearce grip extender on the shorter (9 rd.) mag because without it there is not sufficient pinky room for me.

4. With the extended (12 rd.) mag. there is more than enough room for a perfect 2-handed grip.

I'd be happy to do my best to offer any additional information regarding your very important decision.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  20. jhcole100

jhcole100 New Member

Great Reporting!!!