Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my Winchester 1894 lever action carbine chambered for the .30WCF cartridge. She was manufactured in 1977 and is a top eject model.

The Winchester Model 1894 was the first commercial repeating rifle built to be used with smokeless powder. The 1894 was originally chambered to fire 2 metallic black powder cartidges, the .32-40 Winchester and .38-55 Winchester. In 1895 Winchester went to a different steel composition for rifle manufacturing that could handle higher pressure rounds and offered the rifle in .25-35 Winchester and .30-30 Winchester. The .30-30 Winchester, or .30WCF (Winchester Centerfire), is the cartridge that has become synonymous with the Model 1894.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a model 9422m I know when I first got it I called and I think they said it was made in 72. not sure. anyhow I bought the gun with the idea of using it for raccoon control on the farm. but the thing didn't have a scratch on it.. and when I took it in the woods I was so nervous about scratching it I never took it hunting again. I do how ever shoot it once in awhile at a can our two.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used my Winchester to take more Pennsylvania whitetail deer than all my other hunting rifles combined...iron sights only.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ya.these guns are great in the thick stuff..I use a marlin 1895 guide gun for hunting deer up at my camp. used it when I lived in Idaho also for everything. out there I would have been better off using the 308. of buying a flatter shooting rifle. but I just am so used to the gun and just like shooting it. kinda got a reputation out there for the only guy to use a lever gun.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whatever works...right !?

Most shots on deer in the hills and valleys of the Pennsylvania woods rarely exceed 50 yards.

And a lever action doesn't need a scope at those close distances...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts