What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Steve, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Steve

Steve Member

So I went to a not so LGS tonight and spotted a Springfield Armory 1911. It was stamped SPRINGFIELD ARMORY on the right side of the slide in pretty bold letters. It's SS with a lightened hammer and a Beavertail Grip safety. The sights are of the GI type, very small rear with a short front blade

The gun has seen very little use and is super clean with almost no handling marks. I didn't ask to see it as they were getting ready to close so I don't know what is stamped on the left side of the slide.

The tag shows an asking price of $650, anyone know what model this might be and the value of this?

Steve

2. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

Sounds like a bargain

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

If you believe the folks in this forum, there's guns just itching to be given away, free to a good home.

It sounds like maybe you happened on a gun that somebody was just starting to customize. If you like the hammer and the beavertail, then $650 sounds good for an SS Springer. You can never have too many :p

4. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Not a bad price. Look at the feed ramp area. Many a 1911 has been ruined by "polishing the feed ramp".

5. Steve

Steve Member

I guess my biggest concern is the fit of the parts on something built 10? years ago VS. new production. Did they just pick parts from a bin and assemble or did they actually "fit" the parts together. Most likely it could use some TLC in the spring dept. but I just don't need another project gun right now.

The check the feed ramp advice is what I'm looking for, I'll also have to check the frame to slide fit. Not sure if he'll let me take it apart to check the barrel fit and the bushing. If he declines it will sit in the case a little longer.

Steve

6. pokute

Maybe a good idea to take a pass then. Like Geezer said, maybe the guy doing the build dropped it because he got too happy with the Dremel.

The recent manufactured SA 1911's are usually much better fitted and finished than they were 10 years ago. One forum member did get a lemon. I've had very good luck.

7. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Yep, many a good gun has been ruined by making "improvements" with a Dremel.

8. Steve

Steve Member

You bring up a good point Geezer, home gunsmithing courses aren't always successful. I do have to visit that shop again so I will be interested to hear the story of why it's there but I'm sure it will be an abbreviated one.

Thanks, Steve

9. Steve

Steve Member

Well Geezer nailed it. The previous owner added a ambi safety, beavertail grip safety and a lightened hammer. The gun has a laniard loop which I didn't see the first go around, but when I locked the slide back it was plain as day that the Dremel had been there on the ramp.

When the slide was run home it was pretty easy to see that the lock up was not what it should be either.

It's resting comfortably back in the show case.

Thanks for your pointers.

Steve

10. JSMosby

JSMosby New Member

A sad fate for a fine weapon.

11. pokute

Ouch. Well, as you go out looking for 1911's, keep your eyes peeled for old Norinco's. Still some bargains out there. Also the Argentine Ballester Molina, which was licensed from Colt, and is a fine gun mostly 1911 compatible. I would steer clear of Llama's, though others may disagree. And a Star PD, while not a 1911, is a terrific compact 45.