What personal defense ammo to run in a XD mod 2?

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by NewMod2, Mar 16, 2015.

1. NewMod2

NewMod2 New Member

Hey guys just looking for some advise on what any of you have had good luck with for 9mm hollows for my new Mod 2, I have read reviews on certain firearms having feed issues and being a first time XD owner wanted to know if there was certain ammo to get or to stay away from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

2. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

Not so sure 'hollow-point' is the best option.
    May not get deep enough penetration to do the job...

Just my opinion...no more and no less, but it was free !!! :D

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

The first thing you need to do is to get some 115, 124 and 147 grain rounds and see which ones stay on target better for you.

Practice a lot, shooting one-handed with both hands. Some right-handed folks can snap-shoot better with their left hand. I don't know why that is. But practice will keep you from shooting right past your target, or fumbling with your grip while the target moves against you.

Then you need to consider likely scenarios for your use of the pistol. If you are going to be robbing 7-11's, you would favor a lighter, faster bullet for maximum cashier damaging face-work at very close range. If you are going to be carjacking or shooting through bedroom or bathroom doors, you want to go for the penetration of a heavy bullet. If you are planning on doing point-blank execution type work, you can use whatever you like, bring a hat, and shoot through the hat to minimize backsplatter. Be careful when approaching downed targets, blood is very slippery.

If you use friction tape on the gun, make sure that you can still read the Grip Zone instruction, because you don't want to grab the wrong end and try to beat somebody to death with a plastic gun. The lawyer who figured that out for SA deserves a medal.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. NewMod2

NewMod2 New Member

Yeah no carjackings or executions!! Too funny! Just planning on keeping my 4 kids and my wife safe. I did get some 115 and 124 grain federal and Winchester for target shooting but there's so many hyped up options for EDC ammo wasn't sure if it was smarter to carry different rounds than what I use at the range. I guess 16 target rounds would do the trick if needed. Thanks for the info guys. And yes I hope I can remember which end to grasp if my grip zone letters are ever to wear down!!

5. Hypnogator

Hypnogator New Member

Would highly recommend Federal HSTs in either 124 or 115 gr., whichever shoots best in your XD.

6. pokute

Tape a fork to the frame so the bayonet training doesn't go to waste. I think a metal fork painted flat black is a better choice than plastic (I know it adds weight, but you know I'm old fashioned when it comes to SD). And paint the pointy ends red so the cops don't get confused.

7. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

Does the color red look the same as the color black if
    someone is colorblind ??

8. NewMod2

NewMod2 New Member

Nah I could paint the entire gun orange but up here in vt Id get shot by our lovely cops anyway!!

9. pokute

Are you goin' all philosophical on us? I still haven't figured out the one about the tree.

10. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

My schoolin' don't go high enuff for philosophical. Will I be able to tell
    if I have, or will someone have to tell me ??

11. DougieD

DougieD New Member

Nicely done!

12. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

Do you realize how many fortune cookies the
    man had to open to gain all this information ??
    Literally years and years of ordering Chinese take-out for supper !! :p

13. pokute

It was either the fortune cookies or the MSG. Or both. Sometimes I am surprised to find that I am indeed in a Chinese restaurant, and that I was only a butterfly dreaming that I was Chuang Tzu.

14. pokute

And welcome to the forum!

15. pokute

This man did not read the warning on the pistol barrel:

Attached Files:

16. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

*I dreamed I was a butterfly, flying in the sky....then I awoke.
    Now I wonder if I am a man who dreamed of being a butterfly,
    or am I a butterfly dreaming I am a man ????*

(* fortune cookie # 6,872,498)

17. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

"Point other direction before gently squeezing trigger ?"
    Was it printed in 14 different languages along with Braille ??

18. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

My apologies for helping to lead your original post awry.
    I've been known to stray on occasions.:confused:
    I have test fired a box of Hornady Custom XTP 155gr....
    This is with my .40 cal XD.Mod2 sub-compact so not sure if it is pertinent or not....
    Not a single hiccup ...so she will stay fully loaded to the hilt with them.

19. pokute

Oh yeah, look what the subject on this thread was... Sorry!