What exactly makes a 1911 considered "mil spec"

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Jonbrooks1970, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Jonbrooks1970

Jonbrooks1970 New Member

Does anyone know what any 1911 has to have or not have to be mil spec?
    I know my SA mil spec looks totally different the a Para 1911 my brother is getting that says mil spec on the tag.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Alas, it doesn't mean anything at all. In fact, the SA MilSpec is vastly better than any 1911 ever issued by any government to it's military. The GI "slabsides" could only feed GI hardball ammo, had poor sights, and a terrible trigger. I have done accurizing jobs on a couple, and they had grooves cut in the hammer hooks to engage the sear, and their barrels were loose at full lockup.

Lest anyone should try to suggest that the 1911 was intended to be like that, I have handled and shot several guns made between WWI and WWII, and they were exceptional in their fit and function.

3. Jonbrooks1970

Jonbrooks1970 New Member

I asked because the FFL my brother is getting the para from told him "it's mil spec so any 1911 mil spec parts will fit".

4. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

It's a 1911, so any 1911 parts will fit. Maybe. And maybe not with a Para. I like Para's Warthogs a lot, but they are not a manufacturer that worries a lot about the 1911A1 ordnance drawings. Still, the Warthog is a terrific 1911... Sort of a 1911 anyway ;) :D

5. Jonbrooks1970

Jonbrooks1970 New Member

Lol
    All I know about it for sure is that it has a 14 round double stack mag. To me that's far from any "mil spec" classification
    But I'm just getting into 1911's as of late so my knowledge of them is limited.

6. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

I like how pokute describes the Springfield line. To paraphrase, he says that Springfield makes just one 1911. They all just have different exterior cosmetics and variations of internal polish.

I agree that copying the original ordnance drawings would make any gun more mil-spec. Just like the 92FS has a mil-spec version, too.