Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we all here own pistols, revolvers and semi autos. One we have run them in and fired a few hundred rounds through them what next.
Years ago before i purchased my Glock 17 i would go to the range, fire some 300-400 ++ rounds and the go home and that evening sit down and clean my firearm. Cleaning ment a field strip, brass bore brush, rags for the ramp and a few other touch ups. lightly oil and put it away after also cleaning the magazines i use as they hit dirt and mud. once every 6 months a would field strip the pistol and degreas the total firearm, and the black gunk that flowed out of the pistol wa staggering. All the residue particles of powder and more.
Plant Tints and shades Cylinder Font Magenta

Over the six months some 3-5 thousand rounds ++ would be fired. Irrespective of that all pistols were cleaned that way.
I have several close friend who loaded their own ammunition and all i can say is they never cleaned their brass (or seldom) and their pistols of various brands had as i could see had seldom been cleaned. Yes, they still functioned 100%.
I recall when Glock first came on the market they showed trucks running over them, rain, hail and mud and ice tests. We all know that the pistol functioned 100% and several manufacturers now recommend that pistol do not need to be cleaned after use, or as often.
Yes i have once a few years ago used my CZ SP01 and over a 2/3 month period firing it every week (without being cleaned in any way) had not one failure to fire, load, extract of eject. I read somewhere that the military on asking for manufacturers of firearms stipulate that the firearm cannot fail in test of thousands of rounds over a short period and no cleaning. IN Browning's military tests for his 1911 .45 this was also the case in 1908/9? I shot a luger 1944 model once and this was prone to jamming, tolerances were to tight and German engineering to good. An older pistol but not fired often by my friend.
So what do others do that we can learn from?

·
160 Posts
I field strip and clean my guns after every range session, no matter how many rounds I've discharged. Not because it's necessary, but because I actually enjoy it. My cleaning methods are very similar to your description of how you cleaned your Glock 17.
I clean my hunting rifles if they were shot or exposed to any form of damp wet weather, but I always wipe them down on the outside with a silicone cloth after use, no matter the weather.
Take care of your weapons and they will take care of you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I field strip and clean my guns after every range session, no matter how many rounds I've discharged. Not because it's necessary, but because I actually enjoy it. Take care if your weapons and they will take of you.
One round or a thousand, it gets field stripped, cleaned & oiled. I paid too much for them and if it takes 10 minutes cleaning then it's time well spent.

·
536 Posts
Same as everyone else so far. I clean after every range trip, even if I only fired a few rounds in an effort to develop a new load.

I don't believe it's necessary to clean every time, but it doesn't hurt, and I enjoy it.

Years ago I had a friend who was a Deputy Sheriff. He hated cleaning guns. His service weapon was a Glock 22. He "cleaned" it by field stripping it and running it through his dishwasher! Sounds crazy, but we shot thousands of rounds together and my meticulously cleaned Glock 22 didn't function any better than his "dishwasher cleaned" one. Mine always produced smaller groups, but I think that was about the shooter, not the gun. Both guns ran flawlessly in the 3 years we shot together. I moved and we fell out of touch. I wonder if he still cleans his guns in the dishwasher.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
My Glock 17 I use for IDPA competition now has over 15,000 rounds without cleaning.
This is a gen 2 unmodified except for trigger polishing.
So far there has been one failure to feed which i think was a mag issue.
This is a interesting project.
Capt Jack

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Glock 17 I use for IDPA competition now has over 15,000 rounds without cleaning.
Capt Jack
I have heard the same from several club members. Glocks really are a wonder. Are you using copper jacket ammo? I owned a Glock 17 several years ago, other than it was not as accurate as i wanted it functioned well. But i did clean it on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have heard the same from several club members. Glocks really are a wonder. Are you using copper jacket ammo? I owned a Glock 17 several years ago, other than it was not as accurate as i wanted it functioned well. But i did clean it on a regular basis.
Yes…FMJ ammo

·
536 Posts
Capt Jack
Wow! 15000 rounds without cleaning. Are you giving it lube? Or is it both dirty and dry?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts