V10 Ultra Compact .45 ported and Super tuned

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by Quick_Draw_McGraw, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Quick_Draw_McGraw

Quick_Draw_McGraw New Member

I purchased this Springfield V10 Ultra Compact .45 Stainless Steel that is ported and super tuned. I would like some more information about it.
    My understanding is that the Super tuned models have tuned extractors, polished feed ramps and a trigger job;. This one may also have an upgraded match barrel and bushing. The gun is super tight and the springs are stiff.
    Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
    I am also trying to establish a value on the firearm. I have not been able to locate a duplicate model with the Super Tuned features.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

OMFG. I am jealous!

First of all, there is no bushing on a bull-barreled gun, and the springs are super stiff because they need to be that way to work properly with the reduced slide weight. Extractor tuning would be standard for a Custom Shop gun.

That aside, what you have there is the finest that the SA custom shop could do - Which was quite a lot.

It's not a gun that a lot of folks would want, because the porting is more of a hazard on the small gun than it is useful, HOWEVER - The folks who would want it would be willing to pay for the privilege, and it would not surprise me if it pulled in a grand at auction.

I would love to have one like it!

More and better pictures would be very much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

3. pokute

And welcome to the forum!

4. phideaux

phideaux Member Supporter

Well, I have heard of them, but that's the first one Ive seen ,

More pics please,

Oh yeah, welcome to Springfield forum.

Jim

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Nice find.

6. Quick_Draw_McGraw

More pictures...I don't know about better.
    The guy lost he magazines so I order two and they should be here tomorrow.
    We are going to try to fire it at night and see if we can get a good shot of the "dragon breathe" coming out of the ports.
    Stay tuned.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  7. pokute

Did a litttle googling and found that a lot of folks have had trouble with them. The ones who did NOT have trouble with them really like them.

What this means to me is that it may be load sensitive. Try some standard loads, and some +P loads. If none of them cycles, I can give you a few softball loads to try. It may be necessary to try a few different recoil springs if it doesn't cycle well. Be sure and keep it well lubed up with lots of light oil. I'd say give it a shot of Ballistol every day that you intend to use it.

8. pokute

That is spectacular. It looks like the slide is fitted very well. Is there any free play at the front of the barrel when it's in battery?

I think there is going to be mucho fire breathing - Those ports are totally insane, pointless, and cooler than all get out!

9. pokute

Ah, looks like the Novak sight, flat mainspring housing, and skeleton trigger are part of the Super Tune package.

10. Quick_Draw_McGraw

V10

Pokute
    The gun is super tight. No play or wobble. The spring is definitely stiffer than any other SA I have owned. It will be interesting to see if the porting really does help the lift or if it just looks cool. (Kind of like hood scoops on most cars, no function just fashion.)

11. Quick_Draw_McGraw

Issues with V10

I found three issues posted about the V10

1. Night flash blindness - basically they thought the flash out the ports would cause night blindness. I don't think this is going to be an issue.
    2. Rounds stove piping - usually a simple adjustment will fix this or just using quality ammo.
    3. The slide cracks between the two milled slots (on top) This looks like it was an issue only on the steel blued model and my have been brought on by more stress using +p ammo. I didn't see any issues with the stainless slides.

My magazines should be here today. I need to go shoot something. :)

12. pokute

I always close my eyes before pressing the trigger. Don't need worse night blindness than I already have. Really, this is a "fun" gun, so as long as something feeds through it, you're good to go. The range here is open late on Wed. That gun would be perfect for Wed evening flame throwing.

13. pokute

I'm not trying to dis the gun by any means, I would love to have one. I just think it's in the same class as the Semmerling and the gold-plated Desert Eagle. Can't wait to see a pic of it with afterburner engaged!

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

What about the Tiger Striped Desert Eagles??:D

Or maybe snakeskin??
    http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-Desert-Eagle-50-AE-Snakeskin.asp

Or Kryptek Highlander??
    http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-Desert-Eagle-44-Magnum-Kryptek-Highlander.asp

:D

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  15. pokute

Now that's weird. I had no idea those were actual factory finishes. Kryptek Highlander?!

16. Geezer

Geezer New Member

A local pawn shop had a V10 a while back. I looked at it because the guy handed it to me. I don't remember if it had Super Tuned on it, or not. I've not been a fan of ported guns since I got caught up in the hype in the early 70's. I feel like I ruined a good S&W revolver. Anyway, I think the pawn shop had about $900 on the V10. I wasn't interested so I don't remember too much about it.

17. pokute

I turned down a great price on an FA because it was ported. I want all the oomph to go toward getting the bullet downrange, and I can take care of the recoil myself.

18. alcarpenter

alcarpenter Supporting Member Supporter

I purchased a V10, barely used, a few years ago, for $1400, if I recall correctly. It is a little later production (N372xxx), and with a rosewood grip, but otherwise seems to be the same. It was/is still in new condition, and I love it - a beautiful piece of quality engineering! My only complaint is that the front sight cannot be successfully replaced with anything subject to melting, because of the ports! I would like to swap out for a nite sight, but not feasible, according to my contacts - oh, well - I'm getting too old to spend much time out at night, for sure and, after the first shot, I'm sure I would never find the sight again, anyway! This pistol IS fun to shoot, but don't expect those ports to keep you from knowing you ARE shooting a .45!

19. pokute

Ah, never thought about that business with cooking the front sight. Pretty amusing!

Welcome to the forum!

20. ripthelip

ripthelip New Member

Nice!!!

I have the standard V-10 Ultra Compact and I love it. It is a kind of a pain when shooting at night though. Every time I have a night shoot I get to see the Playboy Bunny for a little bit.

I had a chance to shoot the regular Ultra Compact and it was harder to get a follow up shot accurately, let alone 2 follow ups. With the V-10 I have no problems with keeping 5 rounds within about 1.5 inches at 10 yards. Numbers 6, 7 & 8 kinda get away from me...not terribly bad. It brings my grouping to about 2.5 inches.

I wish I had a chance to buy the Super Tune...you have a great weapon!!!

I am jealous.