Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some G96 Gun Grease (RFG - Rapid Fire Gun Grease) and put a dab on the rails of my SA 1911 A1L which has about 500 rounds through it. Used a Q tip to spread evenly & sparingly. The effects were excellent and after racking the slide a few times, it felt smoother than it ever has. Anyone else used this?

I've used G96 gun oil, but generally use Ballistol Ceramic Gun Oil and Hoppes Bore cleaner for the barrels. One thing about the grease...seems to stay where you apply it. G96 is in a syringe type applicator.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good info.
I was always afraid to use grease, because I was concerned about dirt and lint sticking to the grease and if it would get sticky when it got cold.

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
10 Posts
Greasing the slide and the disconnector rails is something you should always do with a 1911. Some also use it on the locking lugs, barrel bushing, and barrel link, but I just use CLP on the barrel and wipe it off.

It also acts as a seal and keeps fouling from getting between the surfaces that are sliding against each other. Of course if you never clean the thing the crap will eventually get between the surfaces, which is why you should clean the it regularly.

I use EWG on my 1911's and other guns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greasing the slide and the disconnector rails is something you should always do with a 1911. Some also use it on the locking lugs, barrel bushing, and barrel link, but I just use CLP on the barrel and wipe it off.

It also acts as a seal and keeps fouling from getting between the surfaces that are sliding against each other. Of course if you never clean the thing the crap will eventually get between the surfaces, which is why you should clean the it regularly.

I use EWG on my 1911's and other guns.
Thanks. I have begun to grease the slide and I use Ballistol on the barrel and wipe excess off as you do. Seems to work much better. Very much enjoying shooting this gun. My Glock 17.5 sits idle these days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info.
I was always afraid to use grease, because I was concerned about dirt and lint sticking to the grease and if it would get sticky when it got cold.
So after using it at the range today, it worked flawlessly for 150 rounds. The grease is less....messy and oily. Just takes a small dab and spread evenly with Q-Tip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts