TSA Powder Residue Detector... NOT!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pokute, Jan 28, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Just got an email from a friend that spent a day shooting with me and was covered with powder residue:

So, with regard to the response of an airport hand swipe sniffer thing to
    having spent a couple of hours firing hand guns, the answer is: it did
    not register. I warned the two security people that I had been at a gun
    range and asked if it would matter, and they actually didn't know the
    answer and were as curious as I was at what would happen. I don't know
    if they were as surprised as I was at the result, but the machine didn't
    care. I don't know what that means, but it's curious. I wonder if it's
    just an empty plastic box with lights and buttons that doesn't actually
    do anything, and is just there to scare/re-assure people.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Now that's a thought stirrer! Wonder what's going on.

3. pokute

Well, that reminded me of an amusing TSA experience I had. Same airport, LAX. A traveler left a cart piled high with luggage in an out of bounds area and went and sat down about 60 feet away. The TSA people noticed it and called the airport police (at LAX these are LAPD cops who are serving suspension or on medical leave). The airport policeman examined the pile of luggage and then went around asking people whether they owned it, INCLUDING THE OWNER (everybody else knew who the owner was, by the way - and she looked a helluva lot more dangerous to piss off than the airport cop), and everybody just shook their head NO. After standing around for 20 minutes, he left, and the luggage stayed right where it was for the next two hours.

4. unclebob

unclebob Active Member

It must have needed a lot of paperwork for this incident or it may have been shift change...

5. pokute

Say, you never worked the desk in Rampart Division, did you? I think I've heard that said only slightly differently before:

"I'm off duty in 3 minutes. If you insist that I write a report, I'm going to make sure the accident was YOUR fault."

6. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Moderator

I fly all the time and for some reason I am the random guy. The back pack I carry goes with me everywhere and it smells like gun powder on a good day. I and my bag have been swabbed and I was surprised I have never set off the alarm.