Touch-up Bluing

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by pokute, May 6, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

So, I often need to blue small parts, and found that Brownell's Oxpho Blue is pretty good stuff. Durable, and it produces a nice blue-black that matches with a lot of factory bluing. I found that using a heat gun to hat parts up to about 250 degrees before applying it made it much more permanent.

This guy, however has got the cold blue process to end all. He's damned long winded, so I'll summarize. He applies Mark Lee Express Brown before using the Oxpho Blue, and by dumb luck, they are compatible and produce a beautiful and durable blue finish! I just tried it, and it works.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-CDOJF-TmY[/ame]

2. phideaux

phideaux Member Supporter

That looks interesting, I just may give it e try.
    Hey for $20, got nothing to lose if I mess it up, ...:D

But I aint got anything to blue right now..

What does that mean...???;)

HIT THE PAWN SHOPS...:cool:

Jim

3. pokute

Pawn shops here got squat - Broken, rusty old crap. I'd love to hear what kind of stuff you see in your pawn shops.

Had a friend years ago who ran a pawn shop. He had the world's biggest collection of abandoned Model 29's. Had that dead-eyed look down. Sometimes when I was hanging around he wouldn't like the look of somebody coming in the door, and he'd yank a 29 from under the counter, point it at 'em and say "don't worry, I don't think it's loaded".

4. phideaux

Recent pawn shop visit... got this one.

[​IMG]

Automag II 22 wmr, like new.
    the first semiautos in .22 mag made.

Love shootin this .

Jim

5. pokute

I've not been a fan of AutoMag's ever since I saw some cowboy touch off a III and send the slide flying off and into his skull. The target he was shooting at from 15 feet burst into flame as well. It was certainly a good show, but not one I craved to be the star of.

6. phideaux

Thats too bad,
    The III is a 30 carbine, I been searching forever for one...maybe they all blew up..:)

sounds like a seriously overcharged load.

I have had great experience with Automags, and I love the way they shoot, and allstainless frames.

This will drive tacks, (with the right person shootin it)

Jim

7. pokute

Okay, tried the cold blue on the "wrong" side of my High Standard Model B. This side of the gun was in sorry shape (the slide is original - not reblued):

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2015