Springfield Armory Forums banner

Thinking of buying Saint 5.56

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  micmacman 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum, and Shooting, rifles, and pistols for over 46 years. I’m looking into getting my first 5.56 rifle. I’m considering the Saint amongst a few others, including the Sig M400 and the S&W sport2, looking to spend around $800i-$900sh. Willing to wait and spend a little more, if necessary. My only concern is I don’t want to go crazy with Upgrades right away like I’ve done in the past. Any advice you can lend me would be much appreciated.

TT

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Thirsty Traveler. I don't have a Saint but I would think it would be a good choice. Hopefully someone who has one will be along to share their experience. The S&W is a popular weapon and has gotten good reviews from what I've seen and read. I would suggest you look at Windham as another option. I also like Adams Arms. They make a piston driven AR which I enjoy shooting. They run cooler and don't get near as dirty in the bolt area as the DI system.

#3 ·
Thank you WV. I’ll definitely take a look at those.

Thinking harder why I want an AR, and how I might use it, I might just drop down to a lower price range. I really just want one that’s affordable and reliable out of the box. Home and personal defense is rather secondary, since I would rely more on my 9mm pistol. My rifles and shotguns are usually locked up, (we have 5 little grandchildren). As far as plinking, I like to stick to weapons that use less expensive ammo, like my 9mm PCC, regular 9mm pistols and 22’s. After looking at some more reviews, I have Also added these to my lower budget list:
Kel Tec SU16E
Diamond Back DB15
Anderson AM1

any thoughts on these?

#4 ·
16″ MID BASE RIFLE 5.56 – W/ SIGHTS - Adams Arms

SRC-MID - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

SRC - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

MPC-RF - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

I really don't know much about the Kel Tec, Diamond Back or Anderson. If you look around you can probably find the Windhams in the 800-900 price range.
Do some Youtube or Rumble watching on the Adams Arms piston driven AR's. The link above is for a President's Day Sale so it's probably outdated.
AR's are fun to shoot and in reality, every red blooded, 2nd amendment freedom loving, law abiding american should have one.

#6 ·
16″ MID BASE RIFLE 5.56 – W/ SIGHTS - Adams Arms

SRC-MID - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

SRC - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

MPC-RF - Windham Weaponry Online. AR-15 Manufacturer

I really don't know much about the Kel Tec, Diamond Back or Anderson. If you look around you can probably find the Windhams in the 800-900 price range.
Do some Youtube or Rumble watching on the Adams Arms piston driven AR's. The link above is for a President's Day Sale so it's probably outdated.
AR's are fun to shoot and in reality, every red blooded, 2nd amendment freedom loving, law abiding american should have one.
THANKS WV! I’ll check them all out!
I agree with you about ownership, but I’m also in need of a rifle safe, so splurging for both at the same time is a bit of a reach, that’s why I’m also thinking of the $650-$800 range for my AR purchase.

TT

#10 ·
Just received mine the other day, can’t wait to shoot it. My ONLY complaint (1st world problem, I know) is that there doesn’t seem to be enough picatinny rail for me to keep existing flip up and put on an Eotech HHS system. I ordered some magpul offsets and should be good to go.

Totally happy with it and am thrilled to add it to my Springfield collection! Taking it, the Saint 9MM, and the Hellion to the range this weekend so they can get to know each other more ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.