Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
XD 9 Subcompact
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya!

New member here. I have had a XD 9 Subcompact…the older version (perhaps 7 years old?) and in the last 4 days have ended up on this forum via Google searches for a light/laser combo. It all looked so easy back then. A common gun, a popular accessory, but oh my are there land mines to be trodden upon. I would think that it would be straightforward to quickly search what lights fit it.

But apparently the XD 9 SC has a rail design COMPLETELY different in depth than every other XD variant?? I purchased an Olight Baldr S 800 Because the Olight site seemed to say it would fit. But it doesn’t come close. I wasted hours trying. Yes, I tried loosening the screw that controls the tension of the quick release. Clearly the depth of my rail is deeper than the design on the Olight. I contacted them via email to see if they make a different base (because the light nicely slides off the mount plate) but have not heard back.

Since then i have spent about 6 hours searching the web. No one seems to directly address this odd situation. I have seen a number of threads here that seems to have incorrect info or incomplete info.
Yes, in a few posts people say “it is different but XYZ fits it.” In one or two cases it appears that there might be one or two LOW POWER, non-laser units.

i have visited multiple Springfield-centric pages, looked at most-every light manufacturer site, and even consulted the Ouija board but no luck (OK, I made up that last bit.)

The sites for shops selling lights seem to be the worst!! Misinformation everywhere.

I was hoping that the brain trust here could set me straight. What REALLY fits this gun? And why on earth is the rail design different from most every other XD design?

Coming from a background of synthesizers, photography, audio/visual, and other tech hobbies, I am rather stunned at the lack of a clear, accurate guide. I can find the answer to all sorts of weirdo stuff quite easily in those areas.

I really want a light more powerful than 100 lumens. (The Olight has a 800 setting which is great for outdoors but also a 100 setting that is clearly better inside. I insist on a laser too; special points for green.

THANK YOU in advance!!

·
Registered
XD 9 Subcompact
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hiya!

New member here. I have had a XD 9 Subcompact…the older version (perhaps 7 years old?) and in the last 4 days have ended up on this forum via Google searches for a light/laser combo. It all looked so easy back then. A common gun, a popular accessory, but oh my are there land mines to be trodden upon. I would think that it would be straightforward to quickly search what lights fit it.

But apparently the XD 9 SC has a rail design COMPLETELY different in depth than every other XD variant?? I purchased an Olight Baldr S 800 Because the Olight site seemed to say it would fit. But it doesn’t come close. I wasted hours trying. Yes, I tried loosening the screw that controls the tension of the quick release. Clearly the depth of my rail is deeper than the design on the Olight. I contacted them via email to see if they make a different base (because the light nicely slides off the mount plate) but have not heard back.

Since then i have spent about 6 hours searching the web. No one seems to directly address this odd situation. I have seen a number of threads here that seems to have incorrect info or incomplete info.
Yes, in a few posts people say “it is different but XYZ fits it.” In one or two cases it appears that there might be one or two LOW POWER, non-laser units.

i have visited multiple Springfield-centric pages, looked at most-every light manufacturer site, and even consulted the Ouija board but no luck (OK, I made up that last bit.)

The sites for shops selling lights seem to be the worst!! Misinformation everywhere.

I was hoping that the brain trust here could set me straight. What REALLY fits this gun? And why on earth is the rail design different from most every other XD design?

Coming from a background of synthesizers, photography, audio/visual, and other tech hobbies, I am rather stunned at the lack of a clear, accurate guide. I can find the answer to all sorts of weirdo stuff quite easily in those areas.

I really want a light more powerful than 100 lumens. (The Olight has a 800 setting which is great for outdoors but also a 100 setting that is clearly better inside. I insist on a laser too; special points for green.

THANK YOU in advance!!
Follow up:

A call into Springfield helped not at all. Completely unaware of the unique nature of the Subcompact rail.

A call into Streamlight was the solution. A very nice lad said their TLR4 and TLR6 fit it. I ordered the 4.

So I cannot help but notice that this thread, and many other threads go unanswered. Are there just so few people on here? Compared with all the hobby fora I belong to, it seems dead here.

A shame!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wished I could reply, but I have been looking for a light for my MOD-2 compact that is brighter than a Bic lighter.
Hope the light works well for you.

Reactions: MesaBoogie

·
Registered
XD 9 Subcompact
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, unclebob!!!!

I suggest a Streamlight; I believe a number of their higher power units fit. They have good documentation on their site for each product if you poke around a bit.

·
Registered
XD 9 Subcompact
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

I contacted Olight and told them that due to the unique construction they chose for the Baldr S (their separate mount that comes free from the light and allows for fore/aft adjustment) how simple and cost-effective it would be to make several different mount pieces that could fit several different guns. Amazingly, they thought it was a good idea…so supposedly they are at work designing something for the Subcompact. They sent me a nice free flashlight to pat me on my pointed head!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts