Subcompact mod 2 40 cal

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by Oilman, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Oilman

Oilman New Member

I just got this gun. It's awesome. I have not shot it yet. I'm looking for a holster for it.

2. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Supporter

Congrats! Post a pic when you get a chance...

3. Oilman

Oilman New Member

4. Oilman

Oilman New Member

Here ya go

Attached Files:

5. Oilman

Oilman New Member

Sorry. Top pic kinda blurry.

6. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

What kind of holster, IWB,OWB,Kydex, leather.
    Decisions,decisions.

7. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

8. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Holster Ideas

Nice Mod 2!

I have the .45 version of Mod 2. Holster choices depend on when and how you want to carry it. For concealed carry, it's hard to beat a hybrid (leather or manmade material back with a kydex piece molded for your particular gun) IWB (inside the waistband). You can wear them anywhere about 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock around your waist.

I have an Alien Gear and a Galco for mine. Both are great, durable and well-made. One advantage of the Alien Gear is that you can buy multiple kydex pieces and basically get holsters for multiple guns for far less money than if you bought separate complete holsters. Also, Alien Gear will swap kydex pieces with you for next to nothing, if you change guns.

If you want an outside the pants holster, I like my Fobus paddle holster, but it sticks out from the body a bit so is not my first choice for concealed carry.

Allen mades an extremely practical, versatile, inexpensive outside the pants holster. It's basically a thick leather loop, and it will work with multiple guns.

It's good that you are doing research and asking around. Most handgun owners probably have at least one drawer or box full of holsters that ended up being disappointments!

Happy shooting.

9. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Retention Holsters Question

When I moved 18 mos. ago I had to get a new/additional CWP because the state to which I moved did not have a reciprocity agreement with the state from which I've had a CWP since 2000.

It was nice to have a refresher on training.

Anyway, the recent trainer said, "You don't need a retention holster, unless you spend a lot of time hanging upside down."

While soldiers and police might have different needs and even regulations, I think that statement makes a lot of sense for carrying civilians. If a gun is concealed, no one is going to try to grab it because they don't know it's there.

I've been using an Alien Gear 3.0 and a Galco, both IWB, neither of which is a retention holster, but both are molded for specific guns and thus have no wiggle room. I should note that before I got the Alien Gear 3.0, I used a 2.0 for several years. When the backing on the 2.0 finally broke, Alien Gear gave me the choice of getting a FREE replacement 2.0 or upgrading to a 3.0 for a tiny fee.

What do you all think? Do most of you use a retention holster for EDU or not?

Thanks for sharing you experience and wisdom.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I use an Alien Gear sometimes,or a belly band.

11. Oilman

Oilman New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still doing research. Lol.