Stupid reloading tricks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pokute, Jan 19, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I had a squib at the range today. The (long shanked) 44 bullet is just barely almost out of the case so the gun is totally tied up.

Don't know yet for sure, but I'd be willing to bet I somehow failed to charge the case with powder. I hope so, since the only likely way I'm going to get it out is to ram it back into the case with a stick. Hope I still have all my fingers afterwards. I'm typing this now so you'll all know what happened if this is my last post - Here goes!!

2. pokute

Did it! Woot!

3. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

4. phideaux

phideaux Member Supporter

Same thing happened to me Sat.

I orderd 100 rounds of S&W 460 magnums ($100) from a company in South Dakota.
    I just needed the brass to reload my own.

Bout 20 shots later, it fired a primer, my S&W revolver locked up.
    I suspected an empty case. Took a dowell rod and inserted downthe bore till it touched the bullet, then slowly pushed it back into the case, cyl freed up, Sure nuff primer fired and moved the bullet about 1/4".

Checked remaining rounds, sure nuff the bullets had moved out 40 thousanths. So I recrimped the rest of the batch, and weighed all the rest just to make sure that there wasnta double load,or another empty.

I think Im gonna let that company know what happened.

Jim

5. pokute

460 Magnum! I don't think I'd have the nerve to try that. My elbows get a little out of whack from my 44M +P loads ;)

First time it's happened to me in something over 25k rounds I've loaded. Had to happen eventually I guess.

What the heck are you shooting at that needs a 460, a Brinks truck?

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

They have some really BIG deer down there in Kentucky,plus elk ;).

7. phideaux

[​IMG]

"Build it and they will come".;):)

I have to say I bought this one mainly for the fun factor...shooting a handgun at 200 yrds could get a chuckle outta me.
    Not to mention ease of carry when hunting deer at long distance.:cool:

Jim

8. jflytle

jflytle New Member

You want to bring an indoor range to complete silence, light up one of those. I do it with my Anaconda periodically and it is a hoot.

9. pokute

No powder. I am exposed as the fraud I am.

10. pokute

Godamighty! Bet those little red points hurt like the dickens. They do help get the round loaded in right end first though, I imagine.

11. gumpy

Jim, where do the wheels attach at?

12. phideaux

Firebreathin Dragons, just walk right up and throw flames...:D

Its not that bad...it weighs 4.5 lbs.

back on topic, a heavy crimp is definetly required on these rounds.
    Those above are 240 gr Hornady FTX. thet never get a loose bullet.
    Im reloading 300 gr hornady xtp. Heavy crimp.

No powber , just a primer moved that 300 gr bullet 1/4 ", thats it.:cool:

Gives a funny sound and JAMMO.:D

Jim

13. pokute

4.5lbs, but it's the same goddamn frame as the 32 Hand Ejector, just sized up. Doesn't that rubber take off skin? You need to get a real FA, not that little 22! Recoil with my 3" FA is the same as with a 7.5 Super Blackhawk with the stock grip frame. I ordered a Bisley grip frame - We'll see if I'm clever enough to fit it.

What powder and how much of it in your 460 loads?

In 44M I've settled on 22gr 2400 behind a 250gr-260gr Keith, or 20gr 2400 behind a 300gr Jacketed SP. Both hit very hard at 100m. Might be fun to really send a ram flying at 200m with that X-Frame. I'm tempted to buy an FA in 500WE and shoot 440gr bullets. ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  14. phideaux

Hot loads will use 42.5 grains of H110 under Hornady 300 grain xtp magnum bullets. If I want lighter stuff, just buy some 454 Casull or 45 LC.

I can and do shoot it one handed, with gloves for plinking steel plates, but both hands for accuracy.

No skin loss...;)

Jim

15. pokute

42.5gr of H110!!!!!!!!! And here I am wondering whether to run 24gr under a 300 in 44M!

16. gumpy

No pain, no glory, Pokute!!

17. pokute

At least if you're standing in front of it, the pain is short-lived. That sounds like the load that cracked the skulls of all those poor folks in the YouTube "FAIL" videos!

My elbows still hurt from Monday. Funny, my guns hurt my elbows.
    I better stick to poky little rounds like 44M and 45LC Ruger loads. But .500 Wyoming looks awfully fun... And there's lots of guns available cheap that have only been shot once :D

18. phideaux

of A few weeks ago I had the PLEASURE of shooting a Magnum Research BFR , chambered in 45-70. Now thats a nice revolver.:)

WOO HOO impressive.
    :cool:
    I have several Rifles in 45-70 and they bruise.

Ji

19. pokute

I've shot some 45-70... Downloaded to the point that it required wads or the primer would never hit powder :p

I'd be afraid of having my teeth all fly out if I tried to shoot a proper round of 45-70 in a pistol! Did you have a defibrillator handy?!

20. phideaux

Ha!, I just had one permantly installed last March..
    Im hopeing I dont ever find out if it works or not.:eek:

Jim