Springfield Armory Forums banner

stock pile of ammo

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  wooze_1911 
#1 ·
so... I was thinking. what would you consider the number of rounds of ammo for one specific gun that a person would have to accumulate to be considered a stockpile. now with the safe act here in ny. if a person buys 1000 rounds of ammo it is supposed to be reported to the police. I on many times have purchased this number. either in one caliber or a combination at any one time. if you are an avid shooter or competitor really that's not a lot. plus with the cost involved these days it only makes sense to stock up when you see a great price.

a friend of mine commented on how much ammo I have. but it makes sense to me to buy in bulk. I mean the stuff really don't go bad. and it's not like I won't shoot it eventually.

#2 ·
I'd consider a stockpile to be more than you'd use in several years in a particular caliber.

How much that is, depends on how much you shoot. I've know some hunters that would take years to go through a single 20 round round box. So for them I guess a box is plenty, and two boxes would be a stockpile.

Then again, I know a couple of guys that shoot almost every week, and attend at least one (and sometimes several) high round count classes each year. For them, 1,000 rounds would not be near enough - and 10,000 might not last a year. A stockpile for them might need to be 30,000 rounds - or more. Maybe much more

Of course, with the value of the dollar plunging, you might want a stockpile big enough to supply your shooting needs for the foreseeable future (while ammo is still available for a price someone other than Bill Gates can afford).

#4 ·
"now with the safe act here in ny. if a person buys 1000 rounds of ammo it is supposed to be reported to the police."

^^ Yea...good luck with that !! ^^

Buy a 1000 rounds...and give one round back to the seller/dealer and walk away...he can't / doesn't have to report it then, right !?

#8 ·
Buy a 1000 rounds...and give one round back to the seller/dealer and walk away...he can't / doesn't have to report it then, right !?
I thought about that. but then I said screw it. I don't do anything illegal so I am just going to make it a point to buy 1000 rounds at a time. so when the cops do up at my door one day u can slam the door in their face.

#9 ·
Definition of "stockpile": a large accumulated stock of goods or materials, esp. one held in reserve for use at a time of shortage or other emergency.

I'd say a stockpile is one year's supply, based on the number of rounds you typically shoot each year. The current ammo drought, which is easing now, at least here in central Ohio, has lasted the better part of a year. So if one had stockpiled a year's supply, one would have gotten through this drought OK.

If I lived in one of the slave states, such as NY, NJ, Col. and Calif., I'd stockpile even more against the day when they make buying ammo even more difficult and expensive than it already is.

The ammo drought also impelled me to get into reloading. Reloading components also were hard to come by for months, but now that they're reappearing, I'm laying in as much as I can. Though, like many reloaders, I'm finding that the more ammo I make, the more I shoot, which makes building a stockpile kind of difficult! :)

#10 ·
"now with the safe act here in ny. if a person buys 1000 rounds of ammo it is supposed to be reported to the police."

^^ Yea...good luck with that !! ^^

It will be interesting to see if gun shops resort to the dodge you outlined here: Selling ammo by the case minus one bullet. I hope they do. It will show the pointlessness of the law.

By the way, can New Yorkers drive to a nearby free state, buy ammo and drive it back home to New York?

#12 ·
By the way, can New Yorkers drive to a nearby free state, buy ammo and drive it back home to New York?
I actually talked to the people at the pistol permit office about that. their answer was... we don't know. as of now there is no law that prevents that. but again with the safe act crap they tried to make anyone buying ammo go through the nics check. but I just recently heardthatnow that is not going to happen because they wanted the fbi to do the checks but they said they can't handle the work load. so i believe that is not going to happen. I know at the end of the year we can't buy ammo online any more. which really sucks because that is how I get the majority of my ammo. plus I see that creating a sort of monopoly which would do nothing to help pricing.

#13 ·
I fire about 300 rounds - 9mm - during each of four annual (once-per-quarter) trips to a local range, so I expend roughly 1,200 rounds per year. A two-year supply of range ammo [and perhaps a hundred rounds of defense ammo, a total of about 2,500 rounds] would probably be considered a "stockpile" in my instance.

I have no clue whether or not my usage is "average" for concealed carry licensees in this state, but I doubt I'm very far out of the norm.

Hope that answers your question.

#14 ·
I actually talked to the people at the pistol permit office about that. their answer was... we don't know. as of now there is no law that prevents that. but again with the safe act crap they tried to make anyone buying ammo go through the nics check. but I just recently heardthatnow that is not going to happen because they wanted the fbi to do the checks but they said they can't handle the work load. so i believe that is not going to happen. I know at the end of the year we can't buy ammo online any more. which really sucks because that is how I get the majority of my ammo. plus I see that creating a sort of monopoly which would do nothing to help pricing.
Time to get into reloading. Unless NY has restricted that, too.

If you drive to a nearby free state and stock up on ammo, I don't see how NY is going to know about it, unless you get pulled over for speeding and the state patrol notices that you've got 20,000 rounds sitting on your back seat. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.