Springfield Armory Forums banner

SS and CZ

958 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Voltaire 
#1 ·
Question, does anyone here who loves and owns one or more SA 1911, Hellcats, EMP or others also own a CZ, any model? Shadow or P9/10?
Hence, what are your thoughts as to quality and reliability between the TWO manufacturers.

#2 ·
Love my CZ's. I have an SP-01 Tactical, a 75D PCR and a P-10F in the handgun line. As far as polymer guns go, the P-10F has a trigger that I feel is as a good as any from the factory with maybe the exception of the HK VP9SK. It has been 100% reliable, great grip angle and good factory sights.
I'm a sucker for DA/SA metal frame guns, especially one's with decockers. My other two CZ's are also wonderful weapons and have been 100% reliable. I did do some trigger work on both to smooth them out and lighten the pull. I also swapped out the firing pin retaining pin and the trigger retaining pin as the factory ones are a rolled metal. The factory firing pin retaining pin is subject to damage from use and will eventually fail. I encourage you to Czech them out ;) and if possible, put a few rounds down range and see what you think.

#3 ·
With my Shadow 1 and 2, i always replace the firing pin with an Eemanntech replacement. Eemann are manufacturers in Europe and their quality is much higher. I also in all pistol change out recoil and main springs, as well as trigger spring and trigger retaining pin. Then i ream out the chamber 1-2 thou and this ensures all reloads fire. In fact that is but a few things i change on all pistols even my once new STI. With my XD i was bitterly disappointed in the trigger system, should be replaced by the factory in Croatia, not after market. Still a great pistol now.

#4 ·
The one other thing I changed on my PCR were the sights. Factory ones were not so great and since it was going to be in my CCW rotation I put on a set of tritium night sights. The SP-01 Tactical had nice tritium night sights from the factory.

#5 · (Edited)
The only almost CZ I currently own is a Canik C100. It's a true clone, so much so that when I had mine customized a few years back it was the only clone that Cajun GunWorks would work with. It's a clone of the CZ 75 Compact. A range buddy of mine has a stock CZ Compact. We have shot each others' and we both prefer my Cajunized clone to his stock CZ 75 Compact.

I love the low bore axis provided by the CZ. They are a wonderful weapons against which I would not generally speak. That said, I have read and heard on YouTube that some CZ 75 parts wear out and need replaced. Most XDs it seems to me are virtually indestructible and their parts out last their owners, even with very high round counts.

Simply put a CZ 75 shoots sweeter than a XD, but a XD seems to last longer without needing replacement parts. I must emphasize that that comment is based on the experience of people who have higher round counts than I.

As for the Shadow and its various configurations, it's simply awesome. I have had the pleasure of shooting a Shadow 2, one orange and one blue. They were amazing. However, the internals that provide the superb trigger also make them not ideal for concealed carry, which is my priority.

If I were doing competition regularly, I would use a Shadow 2, but I would take a stock XD (or Glock) for concealed carry over any CZ with which I have experience.

If I competed at my local club--which I do not because their matches are on Sundays, a busy day for me--I would shoot my XD with a PowderRiver Precision sear and trigger, and based on non-competition shooting around with the competition crowd, I would best most of them.

If I were serious about competition, I'd use a Shadow 2 and practice a lot with my primary carry guns--Hellcat and Glock 26--because they handle significantly differently from a beautiful Shadow 2. To me, it's like Ferrari vs. Toyota. Amazing performance vs. longevity and dependability. We are blessed to have both both premium CZs and indestructible, always reliable XDs and Glocks! The Hellcat has had some impressive reliability testing, but it's too new to meaningfully compare with either a 75 or an XD. I mostly trust my Hellcats and carry them frequently, but I feel most safe with a XD or Glock 26 on my waist.

#6 ·
A most interesting post from you. All i can honestly say is that i have owned both SA and CZ for some 10+++ years. I know because i compete with others and train others. My closest friend and several others have owned 1 model of CZ, shadow 1 and used only one model for 10++ years, with minor slide stop issues an d nothing else. CZ are extremely popular here, why? Because they are extremely reliable and have very few issues. Glock's have issues daily as do Beretta and M&P's. Shadow 2 are not for me, prefer the Shadow 1. Still love the XD and to me this is a very reliable and well made pistol one can rely on, in all situations as i have used mine for now 2 years and never 1 issue. Rounds fired over 5000 or who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.