Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of us who have read the respective manuals of arms know that the manuals for the XD/XD Mod2, the XD(M), and the XDs all include the following statement,

"NOTE: Extensively dry firing can accelerate component wear/stress. Use snap caps if dry firing on a regular basis."

Most of us probably also know that dry-fire practice can be an extremely helpful part of our firearm training.

I have heard different opinions about what constitutes "excessively" and "regular basis." Consequently, I decided to ask Springfield directly.

I just spoke with a rep. at Springfield Customer Service (800-680-6866). She said, "It is completely safe to do the dry-fire that is necessary for field stripping; a little dry-fire is not going to hurt it, but guns in the XD line should not be dry-fired excessively because damage to the striker assembly can result."

There was that word again, "excessive."

In an effort to pin down the meaning of "excessive," I said, "So, if I am going to do a few hundred dry-fires with my XDs or Mod 2, then I should use snap caps?"

She said, "Yes."

I hope this is helpful information.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
All of us who have read the respective manuals of arms know that the manuals for the XD/XD Mod2, the XD(M), and the XDs all include the following statement,

"NOTE: Extensively dry firing can accelerate component wear/stress. Use snap caps if dry firing on a regular basis."

Most of us probably also know that dry-fire practice can be an extremely helpful part of our firearm training.

I have heard different opinions about what constitutes "excessively" and "regular basis." Consequently, I decided to ask Springfield directly.

I just spoke with a rep. at Springfield Customer Service (800-680-6866). She said, "It is completely safe to do the dry-fire that is necessary for field stripping; a little dry-fire is not going to hurt it, but guns in the XD line should not be dry-fired excessively because damage to the striker assembly can result."

There was that word again, "excessive."

In an effort to pin down the meaning of "excessive," I said, "So, if I am going to do a few hundred dry-fires with my XDs or Mod 2, then I should use snap caps?"

She said, "Yes."

I hope this is helpful information.
But if you shoot,field strip & clean a lot (hundreds of times),then would it still be dry fired excessively?? (Just being a smart a$$ about her statement ;)) Sounds to me like to be safe a person should use snap caps all the time.:rolleyes:

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But if you shoot,field strip & clean a lot (hundreds of times),then would it still be dry fired excessively?? (Just being a smart a$$ about her statement ;)) Sounds to me like to be safe a person should use snap caps all the time.:rolleyes:
Honestly, you bring up a very good point. How do you disassemble using snap caps?
Do you just:
1) chamber a snap cap
2) drop the mag
3) remove the slide in the usual way
4) remove the bbl.
5) and then remove the snap cap from the bbl.?

If that's not how it's done, please provide detailed instructions because as you point out, all those dry-fires during disassembly do eventually add up!

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Honestly, you bring up a very good point. How do you disassemble using snap caps?
Do you just:
1) chamber a snap cap
2) drop the mag
3) remove the slide in the usual way
4) remove the bbl.
5) and then remove the snap cap from the bbl.?

If that's not how it's done, please provide detailed instructions because as you point out, all those dry-fires during disassembly do eventually add up!
That would be the only way I know to do it,but since I don't even own any snap caps or do much shooting,I myself really don't worry about it,I just dry fire the way it is for disassembly. :D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Found this in my library Rev.

The answers are from Ruger but are still applicable.

So, is it safe to dry fire your pistol? We contacted Ruger and asked their technical advisors to see what they had to say. According to them, dry firing is perfectly fine on all of their modern centerfire firearms for clearing the weapon, dropping the hammer/striker, or just trying out the trigger. However for practice, they said you should definitely use snap caps. And that just makes sense. When practicing for USPSA Limited Revolver, I’d regularly go through 100 trigger pulls a night, on snap caps as that was how I’d been taught. Ruger technicians confirmed for us that if you’re going to be practicing with your revolver or semiautomatic pistol, you should seriously consider using snap caps.

Take a look at these 2 videos.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoGP3jMy9p0[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRNKvYnmqDc[/ame]

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, 3T, for sharing your experience and taking the time to find and post the 2 videos!

It seems things are crystal clear:

USE SNAP CAPS
WHEN DOING DRY-FIRE PRACTICE
WITH MEMBERS OF THE XD FAMILY.​

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just want to say that I ordered my first Springfield yesterday. The store encouraged customers to dry fire. I personally dry fired multiple guns multiple times upon instruction by my salesman.

When it came time to purchase I asked this very question and was told it wouldn't hurt and to practice this way. I just didn't buy into that thought process and decided to order a gun anyway. Glad I did.

I called Springfield today and they confirmed that repeated dry firing for practice purposes is not encouraged without snap caps.

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just want to say that I ordered my first Springfield yesterday. The store encouraged customers to dry fire. I personally dry fired multiple guns multiple times upon instruction by my salesman.

When it came time to purchase I asked this very question and was told it wouldn't hurt and to practice this way. I just didn't buy into that thought process and decided to order a gun anyway. Glad I did.

I called Springfield today and they confirmed that repeated dry firing for practice purposes is not encouraged without snap caps.
Thanks for sharing! I, too, have heard from many SO-CALLED experts that dry fire is harmless, and that is true with some, but not all. It's certainly NOT true of the XD family, and their manuals clearly state it. I am thankful for people who try to get the truth out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts