Springfield Armory Forums banner

Springfield Prodigy 5” - Failure to Feed 90% over 200 rounds

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  marshall-arsenal 
#1 ·
Good Morning,
Imagine how excited I was as an owner of Springfield Mod 2, XD 40, SOCOM M1A, and this week the brand new Springfield Prodigy 5” 1911.
I went to the range yesterday only to have my very first shot fail to feed. After a few mins of wondering I spoke to the range officer who told me this is the third prodigy he has seen so this. The other two he put oil on and said it needed a break in period. I shot 200 rounds with failure to feed happening 90% of the time. Very upsetting and frustrating day plus wasting 200rds of ammo on top of a $1700 gun which is now back at the gunsmith already. Very frustrated.
Brand new out of the box expensive gun. As I’m looking at my cheap 9mms not have one failure at the range (CZ Scorpion, M&P Shield, Springfield Mod 2) I saved the Prodigy for last only to ruin my day out 😢
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shooting

Air gun Trigger Finger Gun barrel Machine gun

Tire Automotive tire Rim Bumper Wheel

Joint Arm Muscle Gesture Elbow

See less See more
#2 ·
For what its worth I had a similar problem with my Prodigy (4.25). After I brought it home, saw all the on line articles, ordered a new spring, new magazine, etc., even notified Springfield. I thoroughly cleaned it, lubed it and have since fired over 250 rounds of various ammo with original magazines and have not had a problem....not one failure. Just a simple suggestion, break it down, clean it, try again.

#3 ·
Pity I have a new SA-35 waiting to clear it's waiting period before I posess. It's in the 13xxx serial # range and hopefully the issue they originally fixed and the second issue they inadvertantly created with and extractor exchange is not an issue. They will kill their rep if they are not carefull. This will be my first Springfield.

#4 ·
Sorry you are having that problem! See the post from 32Auto above. Might help.
I have read that many people are having problems with their Prodigy, but some people are not.

Many quality steel guns need broken in; polymer guns seem to run well out of the box for less money.
I would never insult the 1911 or 2011 or people who love them, but I traded my old 1911 for a new XD Mod2 45 about 7 years ago and am very happy with the trade.

Good luck!

#5 ·
#6 ·
To the OP, follow what ".32Auto" and "RevV" stated. Perform a thorough break down and cleaning (including breaking in your magazines), then try again on the range.

Some 5" Prodigy owners change out and install a 12lbs recoil spring for their Prodigy to greatly assist in the break-in process. My 4.25" Prodigy is a "hand-missile" now that it's been stripped, cleaned, lubed, and broken in with over 500 rounds. Awaiting the newly arrived AOS Plates for the optic now.(y)

#9 ·
Possibly and most likely its the length of the ammunition, all manufacturers have their own length. Recoil spring to strong (what weight is it 16Lbs)? , get a new one which 12, or check from manufacturer what they supply with pistol. ALL pistols from day 1 need running in, usually 500-1000 rounds. The lips on the magazine may also play apart. Great looking Pistol.

#10 ·
Both Prodigy's ship with a 9 lbs recoil spring, which is OK for the shorter 4.25" model but not as good for the 5" model. Break-in is a must on the 1911 DS due to inconsistent mfg & Q.C., and the mags need some extra loving also (especially the 17rd mags' feed lips).

BTW, the long awaited AOS Optic Plates that were that were back ordered are now finally shipping out.

Also FYI, Oracle Arms and EAA Grisan have their own double stacks releasing soon in different flavors and price points.

Happy New Year to all. Stock Up & Stay Safe!

#11 ·
Sorry for your issues. I almost bought the 5" but went with the 4.25" instead. Everyone I have spoke to hates it fired the 5". Hopefully SA fixes it for you.

Love the Prodigy, only had an issue with cheap Sterling ammo. It ran Fiocchi, Winchester, Horandy CD without any issues my first time out with OEM lube job in 30F weather, 300ish rounds total. In my experience the Sterling brand has a tendency to be inconsistent with the loads and with this pistol you can really tell the difference with better ammo. At 25 yds I was nailing a 8" steel plate with ease...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.