Springfield Armory Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I know this is a stupid question but I just bought me a Hellcat and I’ve never owned a small gun like this. And my question is about ammo. I have 147 jhp and 124 fmj and was wondering if the 147 is good in this gun for protection and the 124 is good for practice? I’ve shot guns a few times in my life but don’t have a lot of experience and would like to start going to the range and getting into this more. To me ammo is kind of confusing. Thanks to anyone that’s willing to share their knowledge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello all, I know this is a stupid question but I just bought me a Hellcat and I’ve never owned a small gun like this. And my question is about ammo. I have 147 jhp and 124 fmj and was wondering if the 147 is good in this gun for protection and the 124 is good for practice? I’ve shot guns a few times in my life but don’t have a lot of experience and would like to start going to the range and getting into this more. To me ammo is kind of confusing. Thanks to anyone that’s willing to share their knowledge.
A most interesting question you ask. Ammunition. There are many brands in 9mm and all other calibers out their in the marketplace. Expensive, cheap and inbetween. You can even load your own when supplies are hard to find. To me shooting a pistol is all the same, practice at a range as is protection for the carrier. I am a great fan of .40cal, and then again a good 9mm at 10 - 15 ' will absolutely do the same thing if the shot placement is good. Likewise a .40 cal round is useless if it fails to strike a spot. Practice with what you want to use at the range, practice lots with a good FMJ or hollow point. 145 or 115grn there is little difference between them up close and personal. Look at your Hellcat and possibly replace the recoil spring and hammer spring, that makes it easier to use. All manufacturers can and will say theirs is the best ammunition and supply all manner of videos to show why. Winchester make all manner of ammunition, as does Federal. 124grn Hollow points are good for practice and everything else. Look at the worst case scenario, it's dark, late at night and you want to be home. In an unfamiliar setting and all of a sudden, chaos. Your body goes into fight or flight mode, practice for that. Look for ways out, and if you ever draw your pistol, know what you will do and practice for that. Hence use the same rounds for practice as for all situations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the reply's and and worth thinking about. I was concerned about using the 147 hollow points because I wasn't sure if that would be more than what I needed in this gun due to the fact that if I needed to pull my weapon and had to actually use it , I wouldn't want it to penetrate through and exit someone only to hit an innocent bystander. Maybe I worry to much and over think this. anyway I'm grateful for the responses .

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are lots of options (and opinions) when choosing 9mm defensive loads. For your Hellcat, you should look into loads that are specifically geared for short barreled firearms. Performance will vary depending on barrel length, between a 3.25" barrel and a 4", 5", or 6" barrel. For defensive loads in my Sig P938 and my Hellcat I shoot Spear Gold Dot, 124gr GDHP. They are geared for maximum effectiveness in mirco barreled handguns. From what I was told, it is the preferred round, issued for police use. For target practice, any jacketed round will work fine for getting familiar with your firearm and acquiring a correct grip and site acquisition. I love the sights on the Hellcat as they are so quick to acquire the target.

·
Registered
1 Posts
was wondering if the 147 is good in this gun for protection and the 124 is good for practice?
I suggest practicing with ammo as close as what you plan to shoot for SD. I carry 124gr HST and practice with 124gr loaded to match the velocity of the HST.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Springfield Armory Hell Cat has no problem handling the 124 grain or the 147 grain the 147 grain is stabilized well in the 3" barrel of the hell cat . I presently carry the 65gr, NovX 9MM Luger +P at 1,800 fps out of a 3" barrel it leaves a devastating wound channel with 468 FT LBS of energy .

·
456 Posts
Especially with ammo supplies what they are now, I would feel comfortable with any 124 gr. or 147 gr. HOLLOW point that you can find AND which you can shoot a box of to familiarize yourself. Rounds of different weights can shoot differently, feel differently, and hot in different spots. That is why it's essential to shoot a box of anything you intend to carry for personal defense. Another reason is that some guns don't like particular kinds of ammo.

My favorite is 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots.

If you are thinking about Hornady Critical Defense or Duty, it's a good idea to test those thoroughly (at least 2 boxes) because while they are good rounds, they are short and consequently can have trouble feeding with feed ramps of certain angles. Some people report that they do not feed well in a Springfield XD, but I have not personally had that issue.

Congrats on your new Hellcat!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the info . I will definitely try my 147gr HP I have been lean towards trying to get a box of 124gr HP’s also. I know I can’t wait to give it a test drive .

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you shoot the 147 grain you will notice the recoil is a little stout to help tame the recoil a tad I added the Hogue Handall Beaver tail grip sleeve to my Springfield Armory Hell Cat , it makes a world of difference and it shows in my target groups on the range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for telling me about this.
With the Novex Ammo it has no stout recoil at all . The 65 grain Poly resin bullet leaves the muzzle of the 3" Hell Cat at a screaming 1,800 FPS and it packs a big punch. I shot a Coyote with my 16.5 " Carbine Rifle and the exit wound was the size if a half dollar of course the Velocity was about 2,200 FPS . It dropped the coyote in its tracks not even a twitch. I carry two magazines of this & 2 Mags of the HST & One mag of ball ammo of 5 mags total

1 - 12 of 12 Posts