Springfield EMP4 In The Stable

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by pendennis, May 25, 2016.

1. pendennis

pendennis New Member

After reading the article in the June 2016 American Rifleman, I found an EMP4 at a LGS. I like the feel of the gun out of the box. It's going to take a bit of getting familiar, since it is a bit narrower front-to-back. However, I imagine that someone will come out with some after market grips to satisfy users.

I ran 100 rounds of hardball and Hornady JHP's and had no failures of any types. It hits to point of aim, and the sights are very easy to see. I can see this one going into the carry rotation very soon.

[​IMG]

2. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

3. Newmey

Newmey New Member

So very nice! How do you like the feel of the checkering on the front strap? (The earlier EMPs are smooth.)

4. pendennis

pendennis New Member

It doesn't have any real "over bite" to it. If I were ordering a custom gun, I'd probably have a slightly finer checkering, but it's not a deal breaker.

The grips are a bit thin for my tastes, though. I fixed that this morning, though. I had a set of $20 Hogue rubber grips in the grip box, the type that aren't wraparound. I used a disc sander to grind about .05" off the front and back of each panel, and they fit like a glove. There just aren't a lot of after-market grips yet.

5. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up and pic, nice pistola.

6. Newmey

Newmey New Member

Very creative modification. If I tried that I would either melt the rubber or clog the sanding disk, or both, or set something on fire while exposing some bone in my hand. For what it is worth, the Crimson trace for the EMP adds approximately one-fourth of an inch to the width of the grip, which I do not particularly care for. I wonder if the raw grip dimensions are the same with the EMP original and your new EMP4?

7. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Nice EMP! Enjoy it & shoot it.