Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
464 Posts
why anyone would want a 9mm 1911.
I have an original EMP4 Champion in 9mm and it's a joy to shoot. I also have some 1911 .45's. I can see where someone that loves the platform and has other 9mm weapons but no .45's would add a 9mm 1911 to their collection and not have to add another caliber of ammo to purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a garrison 45 when they first came out added new grips wilson rear sight and gold dot front absolutely love it shoots great feels great it's a little heavy for an old buzzard like me to carry but it is my nightstand gun loaded with federal 230 grain hst

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, but it beats me why anyone would want a 9mm 1911.
As some of us get older, we develop arthritis and other ailments that hamper our use of more powerful handguns. By the way I still have plenty of 45 ACP 1911s. I still shoot them every so often.It beats me why anybody would want a 10mm or 40 caliber 1911. Each to their own.I am not going to tear down anybody's choice of caliber in their 1911. I used to be a person that would not have a 1911 in any caliber other than 45 ACP..

·
Banned
215 Posts
As some of us get older, we develop arthritis and other ailments that hamper our use of more powerful handguns. By the way I still have plenty of 45 ACP 1911s. I still shoot them every so often.It beats me why anybody would want a 10mm or 40 caliber 1911. Each to their own.I am not going to tear down anybody's choice of caliber in their 1911. I used to be a person that would not have a 1911 in any caliber other than 45 ACP..
That's ok but I didn't tear anyone down, I just asked a question.

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
67 Posts
I am fortunate to have a good many 1911's in .45 ACP that are an extreme pleasure to shoot. Same goes with my other hammered and striker fired pistols. I love .45 ACP, as should any red-blooded American.

With that being said, there are times when I want a "softer" experience on my hands & wrists while on the range. Especially after 20+ years of military this and that. 9mm provides me the opportunity to enjoy shooting on those days (and is fairly "cheaper" here in GA these days...).

Of all of my collection, the 4 "softest" shooting 9mm pistols are my 1) Springfield 1911 Emissary 5", 2) Walther Q4 SF OR, 3) S&W 986+ Pro Series revolver, and 4) Sig Sauer P226 Legion SAO.

A 1911 in 9mm like the O.P.'s Garrison is an excellent handgun that will be a joy to shoot. Nothing wrong with .45 ACP out of a 1911, but shooting 9mm from one will help give a shooter a better appreciation of the 1911 design and function.

EoR (End of Rant)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice, but it beats me why anyone would want a 9mm 1911.
When ammo started to appear on the shelves again, 9mm in different flavors vs one/none flavors in 45ACP. Cost of 9mm will let me shoot more also.
I was at the gun shop and asked what 9mm single action pistols they had on hand. He pulled out the Garrison and it felt really good. Trigger was light and crisp, it will probably come home with me in the coming week. He did show me another brand and it didn't do much for me.
This would be my first 1911. Is there a real compelling reason to get 45ACP instead of 9mm in the 1911?? Already have a 45 P345 that is really sweet.
To the OP- beautiful!

·
Banned
215 Posts
When ammo started to appear on the shelves again, 9mm in different flavors vs one/none flavors in 45ACP. Cost of 9mm will let me shoot more also.
I was at the gun shop and asked what 9mm single action pistols they had on hand. He pulled out the Garrison and it felt really good. Trigger was light and crisp, it will probably come home with me in the coming week. He did show me another brand and it didn't do much for me.
This would be my first 1911. Is there a real compelling reason to get 45ACP instead of 9mm in the 1911?? Already have a 45 P345 that is really sweet.
To the OP- beautiful!
I've got a 1911 22lr that is fun and cheap. Don't have the recoil but it feels the same.

·
Registered
493 Posts
A 1911 chambered in 9mm is a perfect pistol for many applications. Competition, military, police the list is long and when one actually realizes that the 9mm comes out way in front they have learnt a valuable lesson. Less muzzle flip, much quicker follow up shots and holds more rounds in the 2011 series. Watching some shooters practice using .45 and shooting strong hand only the muzzle flip is massive, and actually in one of the last scenes of a movie "Saving private Ryan" when the Captain is shooting at the tank approaching him while he is sitting on the ground shooting at the tank, watch the muzzle flip as he fires his Colt .45, very realistic.

·
Banned
215 Posts
A 1911 chambered in 9mm is a perfect pistol for many applications. Competition, military, police the list is long and when one actually realizes that the 9mm comes out way in front they have learnt a valuable lesson. Less muzzle flip, much quicker follow up shots and holds more rounds in the 2011 series. Watching some shooters practice using .45 and shooting strong hand only the muzzle flip is massive, and actually in one of the last scenes of a movie "Saving private Ryan" when the Captain is shooting at the tank approaching him while he is sitting on the ground shooting at the tank, watch the muzzle flip as he fires his Colt .45, very realistic.
Massive? Lmao! Try a 44 mag.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Shot lots through a .44 magnum, most useless load ever. Almost as silly as a .50 Desert Eagle. Dirty Harry watch his movies and he shoots strong hand only, the muzzle flip is massive. If a person cannot shoot at least 3-4 shots per second, keep practicing you need it.

·
Registered
Chambers Built GI,Combat Operator,RO 9MM OP, LW Champ OP, MilSpec Meusoc,GI Micro, RoninEMP,Garrison
11 Posts
I own 7 1911’s all but 2 are 45acp. At 56 after years of Firefighting and other abuse on my body , my arthritis in my hands and elbows limits how much I can enjoy my 45’s but truly love shooting my 9mms. Range officer Operator which in some local shoots allowed me to be competitive with younger Shooters and my Ronin Emp4” which is in my Carry Rotation with my G43x. Less felt recoil , fun to shoot , less ammo cost and accurate. I don’t care about others thoughts about what I carry or shoot, I stopped caring about what others thought years ago. If I am happy that’s what matters to me. Oh and I have my new Garrison 9mm coming in this week.
Finger Air gun Trigger Tool Art
Trigger Gesture Air gun Finger Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 20 of 22 Posts