Snap caps?

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by DrewManto, Jan 8, 2017.

1. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

I would like to get familiar with snap caps for my XD9. Anyone have any recommendations on which ones are good and reliable? Also, would I be able to dry fire with them? A lot of stuff I found online were about 50/50 on yes and no's. I am a new owner of an XD9 so I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance fellas. Also, I'd like to know some tips from my fellow XD9 owners.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I use both Pachmayr and Traditions Snap Caps...both can be had in just about ANY caliber...both have springs inside 'em that last forever...

( Dry Fire...Hell Yea ...that's why you get 'em )

I own a set for each and every firearm I own...Revolvers, Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns.

You can find them just about anywhere too...K-Mart, Walmart...online at Sportsman's Guide, MidwayUSA, Brownells...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

3. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

4. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

I use the "Traditions" snap caps and they have lasted for years.

[​IMG]

5. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Snap Caps

Hey, Drew. I am a big believer in dry-fire practice with snap caps. It's free; it's a great way to ingrain muscle memory, and if not done in excessively long sessions, its' fun.

I've never used the Traditions that others have recommended. I have always used Tipon. The Traditions might be better but they are also a bit more expensive. Amazon carries both, plus several other brands. I've watched videos in which people recommended A Zoom brand.

The most important thing is to get ones that have a spring in them so that the fake primer cap is free to move. That is what protects your striker assembly.

There are people who say that snap caps are not necessary, and that is true if you do not do a lot of dry-fire practice; however, the manual of arms for the XDs and XD Mod2 both warn that EXCESSIVE dry-fire can damage the gun.

If you have not done so already, you might want to look up "Dry-Fire Friday" on Springfield's site.

Again, welcome!

6. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member