Slide Stop Mod

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by SA_Shooter, Dec 29, 2015.

1. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

I keep seeing this mentioned on a few forums.

I need a little help in understanding this mod and fill in some of the blanks between brain cells here. :D

What is the Slide Stop mod?

What does it do?

How do you do it?

Thanks!

2. mgardner

mgardner New Member

There's several modifications you can do. Some people find that the end of the slide stop protruding is offensive and shorten it. I like it sticking out because it gives my trigger finger a memory place to go during mag changes so I don't get DQ'd for having my finger in the trigger guard. You can also modify the back of the lever so that you can push it straight in and not get the scratch that develops on the frame during reassembly. You can also modify the internal ledge that hits the magazine follower to miss long bullets and improve feeding. Then if you are really brave you can change the angle of the back of the lever so that when you slam a new mag in it immediately drops the slide. Look at Brownell's videos on 1911's. The have many good ones. Then there are videos on youtube that may or may not get you into trouble. A new slide catch is only about $22.00 so it's not a high risk project by any means if you mess up.

3. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

I'm approaching the mod so as to avoid the slide scratch. I can always work the slide stop manually. I'm not sure I like a slide slamming forward that I haven't told to do so. :)

Thanks for the info!