Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just experienced the same issue that ShockBox reported 9 months ago. Last Saturday was a nice day here in the hills and a friend and I went to the farm to discharge some weapons. After about 30 rounds with my EMP4 Lightweight Champion I started experiencing a couple failure to feed issues per mag. This went on for three or four more mags.
The next day I wanted to field strip and clean it. Went through the regular takedown procedure, that I've performed many times before, and when I attempted to pull the slide off the frame it would bind up and refuse to go any farther forward. Looking through the ejection port, it would travel freely to a point where the extractor was over top of the slide rail on the frame and then seem to hit a wall. Really strange. I could pull it back, reinsert the slide stop and the pistol would function just fine. Tried the disassemble process a couple more times that day and also a couple more times on Sunday. Same result every time. ShockBox indicated that when he sent it to Springfield, they drilled and pinned the extractor and that solved the problem. Maybe that's my issue also. Anyway, I called Springfield this morning and the girl was extremely cordial and helpful. She took my info along with the issues I was experiencing and a little while later I received an email with my repair order number and shipping instructions. On a separate email from FedEx I received a prepaid shipping label that included insurance for full retail value of the weapon. Process was very smooth to this point. She indicated the current turn around time is three to four weeks. We'll see how it goes. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
319 Posts
From what you write it may appear that the pistol has an inherent fault and Springfield are aware of that. Maybe it was an issue a batch of pistols over a day or month and this is not good. Needs a recall. Best of luck.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I can gather a number of the Springfield 1911's have extractors that are "glued", "epoxyed" or "loctited" in place. I've seen all three terminologies used. It seems that's a common practice in certain industrial applications and if done properly is supposed to work just fine. It's hard for me to grasp the concept though as that's not my field of expertise. Anyway, I've read that if the surfaces were contaminated during production or not enough of the "glue" was applied then the part could work loose. I'm guessing this is the issue and that's why they end up drilling and pinning the extractor in place.

·
Registered
319 Posts
From all my pistols with extractors, they are meant to be replaced from time to time, what then? Send it back to the factory? Usually on the right hand side near the ejection port. One also has to clean behind them and at times tension them. If i cannot remove the extractor then ? In many instances i have heard several people claim their ejector is an issue, but never extractor. Most interesting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The EMP 4 being a 1911, or 2011 whatever has an extractor running parallel to the firing pin. So once the small firing pin stop, holding in the firing pin is removed, then one can remove the extractor. All it need is a slight nudge with a small screwdriver from the ejector port end. So i don't see how Springfield can say it is glued or anything else? Very strange.
Parts list of Springfield: Parts list:
Extractor 2f. PI4511 .45 Firing Pin Stop 2g. PI5192 National Match 2-piece Recoil Spring Guide 2h. PI0030 Recoil Spring (16 lb.) 2i. PI5198 National Match Guide Plug (Stainless) 3. PI3501 .45 Barrel (Stainless) 3a. PI0004 Barrel Link Pin 3b. PI0003 Barrel Link 3c. PI3002 Barrel Bushing (Stainless) 4. PI4523 .45 7-Round Magazine 5. SL0005 ILS™ Mainspring Housing 5a. SL0008 ILS™ Locking Bolt 5b. PI0024 Mainspring Retainer 5c. PI0052 Mainspring (28 lb.) 5d. SL0007 ILS™ Mainspring Cap 5e. SL0009 ILS™ Plunger 5f. SL0010 ILS™ Plunger Spring

·
Registered
XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500 and Hellcat w/RMRcc both in 9mm
21 Posts
What's happened is the ejector is out of position and jamming the thing up.

If you haven't packed the thing up yet, lock the slide back and take a look at the breach face. On the side of the ejection port you'll see the extractor, the hook that grabs a spent casing and extracts it from the chamber. On the opposite side there's the ejector, a metal piece that emerges from the breach face as the slide goes back, and hits the other side of the case to eject it. With the slide closed the back of the ejector is the backwards L shape to the left of the hammer.

The ejector is held on by two vertical posts that go into the frame. The rear post is pretty short and just there for positioning. The front post extends into the frame past the valley of the frame rail. On the front of this post there's a notch. If you could get the slide off, you would see that there's a pin in the valley of the rail on the frame that goes through to the other side, and engages the notch on the front post to hold everything in place. You won't find any glue or Loctite on the thing.

It sounds like either a defective ejector pin, out of spec ejector, or sloppy fitment, causing something to get bent, and the ejector is out of position. They'll have to mess with the ejector enough to get the slide off, then deal with the pin, where from what you mentioned about the other post on this, sounds like they may have to drill it out because it will be too messed up to push through.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already sent it away. I did take a pic with the slide locked back though beforehand.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mispoke earlier. It's the ejector on some models that are reported to be "glued", not the extractor. Sorry for that.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked my RO Elite and the ejector is glued on it also. The new Ronin is pinned. Kind of strange since the Ronin is a less expensive weapon. It is newer though, maybe Springfield has started to pin them all. Be interested in hearing from some other folks on how their 1911 ejectors are installed. If you remove the slide and look in the groove in the frame's slide rail around the safety, if it has a hole opposite the ejector it is pinned, no hole then it's glued.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If i had any pistol that had a glued ejector fitted i would visit my local and trusted Gunsmith and have them rectify that. Most Gunsmiths are reliable but it is important to build a relationship with one of them. Hence if there is ever an issue i would much rather discuss my options and rectify any minor issue with them instead of sending my firearm to a manufacturer. One can also learn a great deal from a good Gunsmith.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would much rather discuss my options and rectify any minor issue with them instead of sending my firearm to a manufacturer. One can also learn a great deal from a good Gunsmith.
I do agree that a good gunsmith is an invaluable person to have access to. I would take that route with any weapon that I purchased used or was out of warranty. I purchased my EMP new and it was covered by Springfields limited lifetime warranty. This is something they will fix free of charge and any modifications they make will be documented and not affect any future warranty claims on the pistol. Thought it was a no brainer to send it to them.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FedEx did their part to date. Shipped the EMP out on 01/03 by 2nd day air, signature required, and it arrived at Springfield on 01/05. We'll see how long it takes to receive notification that it's repaired and on its way home.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just received an email from Springfield saying they shipped my EMP. They received it on the 5th and shipped it out on the 19th. Two weeks is pretty good I think. It is scheduled to arrive back home this Friday the 21st. The attached memo said they inspected the pistol, reamed the chamber, polished the throat, pinned the ejector and safety checked and tested the weapon. That should take care of it. I'll let you know when it arrives and will take a pic of the pinned ejector for you to see. Then it's off to the farm for some shooting when the weather is fit. The weather has been cold, snowy and windy as of late. Typical January stuff in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I meant to mention i am going to the range Sunday and the temperature is the same as your location. I think the Sunday forecast is the same as today, 32-37 degrees. That Celsius, nearly the same as 32 Fahrenheit. Look our for snowmen. Don't think it will be windy, if it is then the heat is worse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts