Self Defense Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Deadeye, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

With my SA 1911A1 being my primary carry gun, I am trying to determine what is my best option in ammunition intended solely for self defense purposes. I currently use Hornady Critical Duty .45 ACP+P and carry two 8 round Mec Gar magazines. I will freely admit that this ammo is not what I regularly shoot at the range (since I am not independently wealthy). Any opinions on this ammo, or a possible better choice would be most welcome. I'm not a reloader either.
    Thanks!

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I would say either Critical Duty or Critical Defense but that's just my opinion.

3. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Consensus when all things are considered is that very light and fast rounds are best for close work against lightly clothed targets with no intervening barrier. Hornady Critical Duty is a light, fast load.

I think that regular accuracy practice with ANY gun and any ammo is better than 20 rounds twice a year with some ammo designed to function best at 10 feet or less. SD instructors will never tell you this, because they assume you will never practice enough to learn to hit anything anyway.

If you're serious about shooting, you should pick up a copy of Elmer Keith's book Sixguns right now. Folks who've never read it will tell you that I am full of s***.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  4. pokute

I often forget to mention this, but WWII infantry vets famously said, each and every one, that putting a round of 45 acp 230gr ball ammo into a man took the fight out of him.

5. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

I shoot bi-weekly at a minimum. Almost exclusively with my 1911. I practice for the tightest possible groups at self defense ranges of 20 feet and less firing 9 rounds, reloading and firing 8 rounds as quickly as possible. I'll do this several times each session from both standing positions and while moving.

6. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

The moving part usually involves going backwards. I will get, and read that book! Thanks!

7. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Food for thought pokute. I generally practice with the round ball ammo since I can get that for around half the price of the Critical Duty. Maybe I will stoke my SA with that. All those G.I.'s couldn't have been wrong.

8. pokute

9. pokute

Just finished reading the Jordan book myself. Tons of really interesting stuff in there by a, ahem, rare individual.