Screwed by Springfield Armory

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by Crewsing, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Crewsing

Crewsing New Member

Technically, screwed by Colorado legislators and their stupid liberal laws, but in no small part by Springfield Armory, too.

A couple years ago, CO passed magazine restrictions to no more than 15 rounds. I obtained my XD-9 subcompact a couple years before that law passed and my 16 round magazine was "grandfathered" so I could keep it.

Recently, the XD-9 was having feed issues and I sent back the gun to Springfield Armory. It tested fine. Still had feed issues, so they had me send in my magazines... all of them. I did. Then I get a phone call from SA saying they couldn't return my 16 round magazine! I went round and round with them, telling them it wasn't theirs to keep and I had bought that mag legally before the CO law went into effect and it was grandfathered. Didn't matter, they wouldn't send it back. They sent a 13 round back in its place. I was pissed. I'm still pissed.

So, if you live in a state with magazine restrictions, don't send it out of state or you likely won't get it back. In retrospect, I probably should have had them send it to my mom's house in Washington State and just pick it up next time I visit. Grr.... :mad:

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I understand,luckily here in Indiana we have no restrictions but even if we did I wouldn't be sending any magazines over the current laws to ANYBODY if they were over the restrictions,even if they were grandfathered in. Just don't see the point in risking it.

3. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Sounds like BS to me!

It is none of Springfield's business!

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Supporting Member Supporter

I can't say I'm surprised. Disappointed yes but I'm sure there is some law they are following. Good to know.

5. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

I'm just wondering why you would send in your magazine in the first place?

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Supporting Member Supporter

It sounds like they requested them to try and determine the problem wasn't the magazines.

7. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

Thanks. I didn't read that. Well, now I'm pissed as well. That should not have happened. I'd be making some phone calls about now.

8. ybnorml

ybnorml New Member

Yep, I'd be pissed too !!!

9. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This kind of action is usually triggered by a lawyer who is afraid to do anything that even vaguely resembles a violation. For them, even the appearance of a violation is something they will advise against.

We had a problem with that kind of action at a Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee IL. A group of us at a related forum started a letter and email campaign and got the policy changed. Took several months to resolve.

10. Crewsing

Crewsing New Member

At the time, I was more interested in getting my XD to chamber a round than I was thinking about magazine restriction laws. It never occurred to me that Springfield would opt to not return my magazine... after all, I wasn't purchasing a new one. Live and learn, I guess!

As an aside, I see there are options to buy "stuff" on Armslist.com fairly cheap. Maybe I'll give that a shot (no pun intended).

11. tking012000

tking012000 New Member

Taurus advises you to not send in your magazines they might not be able to ship them back

12. Hollandlaw

Hollandlaw New Member

CA is more screwed up than that, hard to believe. I will have to keep that in mind if my 1911 ever needs repair. I'll just pay the local GS and have it done here.

I'm surprised here in CA that they don't have "gun compliance cops" at the border to check for people driving back from a 2-day trip to NV to make sure they don't have "unsafe" (according to the legislature) guns that aren't on the damn list. No newly produced guns here in years and even many of the old ones aren't sold because companies don't want to play these stupid games.

It may be illegal here to even POSESS an old magazine that holds more than 10-rounds. Door to door searches anyone?

For CA, and apparently CO "... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." stops at the border.

13. Crewsing

Crewsing New Member

Closure.

ARMSLIST made everything alright.

I wrote an email to SA reminding them of how they screwed me out of my 16 rd magazine, replacing it with a 13 rd-er. I asked them to send me a free magazine extension sleeve and I'd consider us square. They sent me the free magazine extension sleeve and an extra 10 rd mag. Not too bad, I suppose. The 10 rounder got tossed in the corner, but I guess it's the thought that counts. :)

Now I just have to keep CO's stupid gun laws in the back of my mind whenever dealing with gun issues.

14. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Don't have any relationship with Springfield Armory but sounds to me like SA was following the law.
    If anyone screwed you it was the legislators in Colorado.

15. Bisker

Bisker New Member

You can send me the 10 round mag, it's all California allows

16. Crewsing

Crewsing New Member

3T, thanks for agreeing with the very first post of this thread.

17. CAV_Scout

CAV_Scout New Member

If you have proof they were purchased earlier, and a paper that they can be considered "grandfathered"
    Send that with an explanation of such and that you consider their action "confiscation" of private property.
    Which they do not have the legal power to do.
    And unless you receive them back within 14 day, legal action will follow. Along with a mass leakage of
    their action to every Firearm Forum in the US !
    And then . . . . . . DO IT !
    A free consultation with an attorney.
    And it sounds like a cause to post a "fund me"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016