Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some advice on repairing a scratch on the top of my 1911 Garrison. It has the factory hot salt bluing, the top is a satin finish. Must have scratched it placing it in the safe somehow. My holster is leather and very well maintained. Scratch is about an inch long, and pretty fine.
More like a scuff. I'll replace the slide if I have to.
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Flooring Gadget

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Flooring Gadget

Registered
Just keep shooting it cuz -- it just adds the air of "I been there and done that".

Kidding aside, try a baking soda / water rub or toothpaste and try to remove as much damage as possible. Then fill in the rest of the damage with a Sharpie -- it won't hurt it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just keep shooting it cuz -- it just adds the air of "I been there and done that".

Kidding aside, try a baking soda / water rub or toothpaste and try to remove as much damage as possible. Then fill in the rest of the damage with a Sharpie -- it won't hurt it.
Baking soda is abrasive. I'm thinking it will remove more of the finish.
I like to keep my firearms as pristine as I can. I have a few custom built striker fired guns that have a DLC coated slide.
This stuff is extremely durable. More so than anything else I've used. I like the factory finish, but I don't think I can duplicate it with DLC. Since this gun is now my EDC, I may have to go that route if there isn't an option to restore the factory finish.

Being an EDC weapon it is going to acquire some scuffs and scrapes. I've used the Sharpie (black magic marker) on a few of mine through the years just to make the marks less noticible. To me it's no big deal as this is a tool that is meant to be used. Like anything new though, that first blemish hurts the worst.

Registered
I need some advice on repairing a scratch on the top of my 1911 Garrison. It has the factory hot salt bluing, the top is a satin finish. Must have scratched it placing it in the safe somehow. My holster is leather and very well maintained. Scratch is about an inch long, and pretty fine.
More like a scuff. I'll replace the slide if I have to. View attachment 3707
View attachment 3707
Definitely ouch. I know this does not answer your question but in order to keep your Garrison yours Id cerakote slide black or burnt bronze to keep it nice for a long time.

Registered
Definitely ouch. I know this does not answer your question but in order to keep your Garrison yours Id cerakote slide black or burnt bronze to keep it nice for a long time.
Chaz I always am having a scratch or kick on my carry guns, what I do is use a birchwood casey touch up pen they come in flat black or glossy, you can get them at midwayusa or alot of gun stores carry them. This will take care of it pretty good, you may want to look on the birchwood casey website they have a few bluing touch up products. Hope this helps..

Registered

I used a black sharpie on a small/very teeny-tiny scratch. It doesn鈥檛 match too well. Too shiny. I鈥檇 go to a hobby store, and buy some matte black Patrica, or Patrika model paint (I think that鈥檚 how you spell the modeling paint). It鈥檚 better paint than Testor鈥檚 model paint. THAT would work MUCH better!! I mentioned in my post that the RONIN black finish scratches if you breathe on it! Same for Kimber鈥檚 matte black finish. Haven鈥檛 scratched the Kimber though. I called Galco, to see if they sold a leather 1911 holster with alcantera inside the holster, to prevent scratches, I think they said they sold only one model.
Hope I helped!

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts