Saint failure

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory AR-15 - The Saint' started by woodtown, Mar 15, 2017.

1. woodtown

woodtown New Member

Got my saint 3/1 had several failures to eject. Returned to springfield on 3/7. Waiting for them to fix. Nice ar, wished it worked out of the box like my 3 other ars.

2. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, shame your first post has to be a problem with the Saint.
    Will be following to see what the reason was.
    Be sure and let us know as it may help other owners.
    Usually Springfield is pretty quick about diagnosing, fixing and returning guns.

3. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Welcome, Woodtown. Sorry to hear about your Saint! Please do let us know how the fix goes.

I had to send a XD Mod2 to Springfield to be fixed. Their customer service is excellent, even though Springfield does not provide the check in and progress reports that some other companies do. I trust your Saint will be fixed right and at no cost to you.

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard woodtown.

5. woodtown

woodtown New Member

got my Saint back

Got my saint back from springfield. Paperwork said they polished the chamber which I assume means there was a burr in the chamber. Doesn't say much for their qc. Took it out to the range and 3 brands of ammo , 50 rounds each, including factory reloads and 50 steel case. Results everything went well except 1 round of perfecta i got at walmart didn't fire and 1 minor misfeed. The previous problem of empty she'll getting stuck in the chamber never occurred so polishing the chamber fixed it. I attribute the non firing round to the type of ammo and the 1 misfeed to the mag not fully installed by me. Overall satisfied the gun has been fixed and find it a very satisfactory ar but not much better the my $500 ati(300blk) or as good as my stag but it is 2 lbs lighter the my stag which is why I bought it.
    Don

6. IL-Rebel

IL-Rebel New Member Supporter

Sorry about the inconvenience, but glad it was a simple fix and that CS took care of you. Have had mine since 2/10 and so far, so good. No complaints.

7. woodtown

woodtown New Member

2nd time out after getting it back had one shell stuck and several failure to eject. Tried a nickel boron bcg I had, same thing happens always after 40 or so probem free rounds are fired. Sent it back to springfield. I did notice when I got it back it was very heavily greased. Will see what they do. Took 2 weeks last time.

8. woodtown

woodtown New Member

got my Saint back the 2nd time

Got my saint back after sending in for the 2nd time. Came back dirty (maybe they wanted to prove the fired it). Cleaned it and took out the range. Fired off 150 rounds of 223 55gr, 2 different brands both brass. Had no issues so hopefully everything has been checked. I suspect it is ammo sensitive while my other ars eat whatever I feed them. After going through what I did, I don't recommend the saint as there are other ars out there that work from the get go for less money.

9. havasu

havasu Administrator Supporter

Interesting. I also have weapons that are finicky on the ammo they eat. I don't fault the manufacturer, I fault the bad ammo.

10. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Not only the ammo issue but there can be a bad weapon in any production.

Haven't heard any other owner complaints, how about you woodtown ?

11. woodtown

woodtown New Member

Others with problems are on u tube

12. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Any Direct Impingement Mid-Length Gas System is problematic by design. They are cheaper to manufacture but take a lot of maintenance for them to be reliable. The system by design sends a lot if carbon on the bolt and bolt carrier resulting in reliability issues.

The current military models are somewhat better than the Vietnam issue versions (M16A1 and CAR15) that I carried in combat. However many of the same problems exist that we had then. All of my my semi rifles are piston actions.

13. tackleberry

tackleberry New Member

Yeah the DI design is so bad there are more ar 15's sold than any other weapon in the us. Find a forum where guys that actually run carbine courses are talking about failures and you'll find much of the internet gun experts have no idea what they are talking about. Todays ar/m4/m16 will run harder than most anyone will ever dream of running them and damn accurately for a semi auto. Basic cleaning every 700 or so rounds and they run great for well over 15,000 rounds before expected failures.

ngmccloskey likes this.
  14. aspenmeadow

aspenmeadow New Member

I started shooting military rifles in 1953. Cleaning my Marine Corps issued M1 was never as dirty as my Saint. I thought it was the cheap ammo that I was using. My blowback handguns never have had that much burnt gunpowder. I had no idea that it may be the design. This is my first AR15. I bought this rifle because of Springfield's quality and the reliability of of the Stoner design. That's disappointing. It seams that everything that I read was written by writers chumming up to Springfield. Are there any honest reviews anymore?

Bill Aquino likes this.
  15. tackleberry

tackleberry New Member

So you think the Saint is dirtier than any other AR? Sounds like you don't like Stoners design, fine. The Saint is no dirtier or cleaner than any other ar. If you want to talk about piston ar 15s they are cleaner but don't stand up to hard use like the di design. Look for people like Pat Rogers talking about one of the many carbine courses he ran and you'll find him scoffing at pistons. I have had the opportunity to shoot the m1 garand and the m1carbine and love them both. I also love old muscle cars too, but that doesn't mean my wifes 2016 mini van couldn't blow most of them off the road

16. aspenmeadow

aspenmeadow New Member

No, I didn't mean that it dirtier. It was just dirty. I've never fired an AR before. I used a M1 Garland when I was a Marine. That also being a gas operating system, I found it super clean compared to my Saint. I have no fault with the design. Stoner was brilliant. My M1 beat the hell ou of me.

17. LarryBud49

LarryBud49 New Member

I am having problems with mine, too. Purchased in January and have run less than 400 rounds through it, only shoot every few weeks or so, 50 to 100 rounds each time, but always worked just fine. Always cleaned after shooting. Time before today it started not pushing the next round fully into the chamber. It ejects fine. Same ammo, same magazines from day one. So I cleaned it very thoroughly and went to the range again today. Same problem. Any ideas on the cause?

18. megafiddle

megafiddle Member

Since you are using the same ammo and magazines, we can probably rule out a mechanical defect.

All I can think of is fouling in the chamber or locking lug recess at the end of the barrel.

Are you using an M16/AR15 chamber brush for cleaning? A bore brush doesn't reach any of the chamber areas at all

19. LarryBud49

LarryBud49 New Member

No, I have not been using an AR15 chamber brush. I will pick one up today.

20. Kukailimoku

Kukailimoku New Member

I would not agree on their customer service. I called once , just for a quick consult on a problem (I thought) I was having with my new Saint. There was an extremely nice and helpful lady that answered, and she understood guns/parts terminology enough to completely comprehend what I was describing, but she didn't have an answer. She tried to find a tech or a assembly worker. Great support so far. Couldn't get a tech to the phone. Took my name/number and promised to call back. Never did. THAT is where the 'fail' is. I ended up solving it myself (wasn't actually a problem after all), but their lack of follow-through was less than stellar. I guess they figured if I didn't call them back then I was good.

gunsmith1 likes this.