Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a gen 1 AR 556 Pistol its about 4yrs old.. Today at the range bought two boxes of Winchester 223 and was shooting in range. When I got home i noticed that the Blast Diverter had exploded outwards .:oops: Is this normal ? Just wear and tear ? Has anyone ever experienced this before ?:unsure:
Hand Bottle Automotive tire Finger Gas

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have the dreaded Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW in 300BO in a pistol.
You know how nice the Saint goes back together when reassembling it? The DD is way more precise, but twice the cost too!
Hope it doesn't go bonkers on me and the wife one night while were sleeping? lol
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

·
Registered
Hellcat w/RMRcc/XD-S Mod.2 OSP w/CT1500
48 Posts
Curious on exactly what you put on the thing. FWIW, what happened is not normal, unless its an inexpensive, i.e. airsoft, muzzle device that got put on a firearm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I've seen and understand that's a factory OEM part that came with the pistol from the factory.

My 2 cents in this.
Baffle strike? Maybe if it has the wrong washers on it. OR, the muzzle threads are offset.
Second issue is general poor quality of the blast diverter that they contracted to have built.
If that's the case it should never have happened but does.
Cheap cast and even some 100% machined flash hiders that go through a high round count will erode and fail eventually. The more shaped and fairly thin walled ports the higher the chance of failure.

I've had a homemade muzzle brake crack from shooting on an old Professional Ordnance Carbon-15 I owned. Not sure if it's still in one of my junk drawers or not. It had cracks between the ports that were either stress or flame cutting erosion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts