SACS Gets An A+

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SA_Shooter, Feb 22, 2016.

1. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

I've been having a problem with my Champion Operator. Well, not really a problem with the firearm per se...it has almost a thousand flawless rounds through it since late December.

The issue is more centered on my recent laser eye surgery. As a result, I have become right hand/left eye dominant and fixed sights just don't cut it for me. The Champion Operator comes with fixed tritium sights. I can't drift the rear sight enough for it to work for me and stay in place.

I could sell on the Champ and get something else but I'd hate to do that. I like the firearm for many reasons. It's reliable, easy to take down, is the right size and, despite the left of center results, shoots tight and accurate groups.

So what to do????

I talked with several local gunsmiths and they just weren't equipped to do any custom work on the slide nor were they aware of what would work in the existing cut as far as an LPA/Bo-Mar style fully adjustable target sight package.

It seemed as if I was chasing my tail on this and I don't know enough about gunsmith processes to know just how it would be done.

Last night, after mulling it over for like the thousandth time, I had an epiphany... Call Springfield Armory Custom Shop!!!

So I did...

A very nice lady who works in SACS took my call. She totally understood the issue, having had a similar surgery, remembering how frustrating it was to relearn how to shoot and the fact that drifting a fixed sight that far over wasn't a good answer.

But she had a solution...

SACS will modify the bezel cut, install a fully adjustable rear target sight, install a red front fiber optic sight, fully Armory Kote the slide since there will be bare areas after the rear bezel cut mod, bore sight the fire arm and ship it back. It could take up to 6 weeks but, hey, I got the Trophy Match to amuse me while the Champion is in the shop.

She set me up with an RMA #, sent me a couple of forms, a link to a FedEx label for my use and priced it all out for me.

The customer service and level of technical expertise at SACS is top notch. I won't hesitate to contact them again for my future needs!

2. Newmey

Newmey New Member

Is it possible to retrain yourself to shoot left-handed? Is it like brushing your teeth with your left hand? I'm not trying to be a smart Alec. Just curious. My own fight is with near-sightedness and progressive lenses.

3. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

That's a good thought. I considered it and realized that I'd end up moving the sight in any event. I can shoot left-handed if necessary and I may try that after I get the Operator back from SACS.

Thanks for the input!

4. SA_Shooter

SA_Shooter Uno Ab Alto

So I kinda forgot about this thread and I hadn't taken any pics of the CLO since it came back from SACS.

So here is what it looked like when I first got it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a trip to SACS for a slide cut, fully adjustable rear sight installation, fiber optic front sight and the slide was re-coated. I also added a different set of VZ G10 grips:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]