Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awaiting delivery of my SA35 due tomorrow
Anyone encountered Failure to Eject (FTE) issues ? I’ve seen numerous videos and write ups where this has happened at the 600-750 round range … anyone else out there experiencing these issues?

· Registered
551 Posts
A common problem at any stage is usually the extractor. Take it out and examine it for breakage or wear. Make certain the tension is correct, (that it holds an empty case). Open slide and place an empty case into the extractor and see if it is held tight. Recoil spring may be to strong and does not allow time for the case to be ejected. There are at times different issues, eliminate 1 and go to the next. You are correct, there are numerous post in many Forums re the SA35 and several on Hellcat.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A common problem at any stage is usually the extractor. Take it out and examine it for breakage or wear. Make certain the tension is correct, (that it holds an empty case). Open slide and place an empty case into the extractor and see if it is held tight. Recoil spring may be to strong and does not allow time for the case to be ejected. There are at times different issues, eliminate 1 and go to the next. You are correct, there are numerous post in many Forums re the SA35 and several on Hellcat.
Thanks for the reply … don’t have it in hand right now (tomorrow delivery) however any issues up front I’ll return it to the factory as I am not a gunsmith … looks like I’m going to keep a log of the rounds fired and go with it … I’ve had issues with my last 3 new Springfield pistols and returned them under warranty.. all are functioning correctly now …. I’ll just hope for the best

· Registered
551 Posts
As a consumer you can and should expect Springfield to quality control their products so that you as a the buyer never needs to send anything back for such a new model and production. I fact anytime. As a pistol shooter checking that a case of 9mm holds in the extractor has nothing to do with being a gunsmith, nor changing out recoil springs. If you google recoil spring in SA35 and extractor issues in SA35 you will find simple methods to see how to do everyday minor issues. I change our recoil springs and hammer spring on all my pistols, just to make
the pistol shoot better. Also i still encourage new shooters to put 2-3 thousand rounds through the pistol and then evaluate it.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a consumer you can and should expect Springfield to quality control their products so that you as a the buyer never needs to send anything back for such a new model and production. I fact anytime. As a pistol shooter checking that a case of 9mm holds in the extractor has nothing to do with being a gunsmith, nor changing out recoil springs. If you google recoil spring in SA35 and extractor issues in SA35 you will find simple methods to see how to do everyday minor issues. I change our recoil springs and hammer spring on all my pistols, just to make
the pistol shoot better. Also i still encourage new shooters to put 2-3 thousand rounds through the pistol and then evaluate it.
Sounds like you have a system that works for you
Never had any issues with my Springfield Full size
Mil-spec 45 or my Ronin 5” 9mm
But my Garrison 9mm had feed issues and lite strikes and after return from warranty work (milling and polishing) still had feed issues
A .. RSO at my club suggested changing out my SA magazines for Ed Brown mags … problem solved … gun is fun to shoot and very accurate … also had similar issues with my
Ronin EMP 3” & 4” guns both milled and polished.. new firing pins/ springs…main spring also replaced now shoot w/o issues …
I like the Springfield brand and will continue to buy 1911’s they market … just wish their factory QC was better

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve done my initial cleaning and am waiting to hit the range next Monday …. I called SA and spoke to customer Service about the FTE issues… gave them my Serial # … and was assured that the issues with the ejector a have been addressed.. … prior to production date of my SA35.
most issues I’ve heard about occur around 750+ rounds down range …please advise if you have any issues
I’ve got a case (1000 … 124gr FMJ ) reserved for my upcoming Range date

· Registered
551 Posts
Shooting 500 rounds of 9mm over 2 months is not subjecting the pistol to normal wear and tear. When new i usually shoot 500 or 600 rounds to start running it in.
Then take it home, clean it and look at extractor and barrel then check mags. Then back the following week and repeat. After 1500 to 2000 rounds then i'm happy.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice … good system
I just want reliable… and now that Ammo costs are fairly stable it’s a good time to shoot
I’m pretty much satisfied if I get 1000 down the tube w/o issues

· Registered
38 Posts
I’ve done my initial cleaning and am waiting to hit the range next Monday …. I called SA and spoke to customer Service about the FTE issues… gave them my Serial # … and was assured that the issues with the ejector a have been addressed.. … prior to production date of my SA35.
most issues I’ve heard about occur around 750+ rounds down range …please advise if you have any issues
I’ve got a case (1000 … 124gr FMJ ) reserved for my upcoming Range date
Mine serial # was HP13342 which is several thousand later than the two BHPSprings did their testing with or customers sent them with an issue to resolve.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would agree with you on issues showing up b4 1000 rounds … on the 3 guns I returned for warranty repairs … all problems were apparent before 350 rounds … and continued up to 500 .. before I boxed them up and sent them back
Now all are functioning correctly

· Registered
3 Posts
Mine was sent in just over two weeks ago for extractor/failure to eject issues. SN in the 8xxx range. The first time at the range it went through the first four mags with no issues. Then it started having failures to extract and eject issues and would lock the slide with one in the chamber. Took it home re-cleaned and lubed it. The second range session could not get through one mag without issues.
Receive email today that the work was completed. The repair invoice shows the replaced parts to be 'HP Firing Pin' and 'SA-35 9mm slide w/bushing, carbon'. Waiting to receive from FedEx.

I replied to Springfield's ship notification to see if they removed the XS night sights that I installed on the old slide and replaced them on the new slide. Waiting for a reply back.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope you get your sights returned …My SA35 was produced December ‘22.., and am hoping that the issues were resolved by my date of Mfg… Diane in Customer Service said Springfield had the problems resolved …, so i will give it a go on Monday… and hope for the best…

· Registered
551 Posts
Actually anyone thinking about buying as SA35 may think twice looking at so of the post here and many others with similar issues. No, most other pistols manufacturers selling pistols around $8-9 dollars, either make better products or have a very good and high standard of Quality Control. Manufacturers do not ship it is it fails continuously and fail to correct those issues over a number of years. Just my thoughts on reading the posts here and other sites. CZ do NOT have this type of negative and poor customer relations, nor M&P, Glock, and numerous other similar priced pistols.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would agree that SA .. QC has dropped the ball … the COVID 19 lockdowns… may have been an issue with SA …I’m hoping they’ve been resolved
Now as for my personal preference.., I have very large hands and the 1911 frame ..feels right
I’ve purchased M&P Shield in 9mm and .380 both function flawlessly .. but don’t feel right in my hands …I shoot ok with them …my wife does much better with them …
I a couple others S&W … Baretta.. full size And a Browning Black Label..(this is a great CCW.. in .380 )
All are good …but I prefer my SA’s … they just feel right in my hand
I’m taking the 35 out next week to the range and am hoping there are no issues … it has to go thru my personal reliability test before will Use as CCW

· Registered
38 Posts
Actually anyone thinking about buying as SA35 may think twice looking at so of the post here and many others with similar issues. No, most other pistols manufacturers selling pistols around $8-9 dollars, either make better products or have a very good and high standard of Quality Control. Manufacturers do not ship it is it fails continuously and fail to correct those issues over a number of years. Just my thoughts on reading the posts here and other sites. CZ do NOT have this type of negative and poor customer relations, nor M&P, Glock, and numerous other similar priced pistols.
Posts on a forum are not necessarily a complete picture on buying anything. People are 5 times more likely to get on a forum to post about problem issues then to post if they are perfectly happy. Ask anyone who runs a business or does customer service. One of the reasons I post is to let people know I'm happy instead of just know I'm have a problem.
At this point literal handful of complaints on forums and youtube videos which is not even enough negative data and gives little indication how many people are happy. I know I spent 6 months researching this firearm to wait for indication that A) they were aware and B) they were working on it. C) Find one at a price that I liked.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutely agree with you …. I didn’t start posting until I had issues …
Having said that … having seen a few videos and reviews about the issues … my intention was to see how many others may have had similar issues ……. Thankfully only a couple
Came up

· Registered
38 Posts
Two of the biggest things that came up for me researching is that BHPSprings video's indicated that that they were seeing differences in the extractor as the run went on indicating they were working the issue not ignoring it. The other is that video's and forum posts complaining were trailing off by the middle of the past summer after July not able to find enough complaints to equal even 0.5% of their production run to date which a reasonable guess is ~15K after July. So by December I felt comfortable pulling the trigger no pun intended.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts