Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the opportunity today to shoot a friend's S&W 460V (the 5 inch bbl. version of the S&W 460 Magnum). I just had to supply ammo. The only 460 Magnum rounds I could find locally were slightly over $2 a piece, so I opted for a box of .454 Casull at $1.50 a piece and a box of .45 Colt.

Out of the 460V, .45 Colt had virtually no recoil, and the .454 Casull was not bad at all! I was surprised at how mild the Casull felt.

When the bigger rounds were all gone, I pulled out the XD Mod 2 .45 ACP I was carrying and threw 50 down range. After shooting the big 460V, my Mod 2 seemed light as a feather with zero recoil.

I'll post a picture of the 460V in a day or 2. I coated it in CLP and left it at my office in hopes that the CLP works some cleaning magic overnight. Just 35 rounds left it filthy, and returning it clean was part of the deal. :)

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone on this forum has experience and thoughts about the 460V. I found it seriously fun!

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice looking gun...

Great caliber if you hunt grizzly or polar bear...

Too expensive to shoot often...

I'll stick with the .44 Magnum.

Just my 2 cents... ;)

It's not my gun; just borrowed it from a friend because I'd never shot one before, but if it were, I'd not be able to afford to shoot it much either!
$1.50 a round for .454 Casull and $2 a round for .460 Mag.

If it were my gun, I'd investigate how much could be saved by reloading.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
It's not my gun; just borrowed it from a friend because I'd never shot one before, but if it were, I'd not be able to afford to shoot it much either!
$1.50 a round for .454 Casull and $2 a round for .460 Mag.

If it were my gun, I'd investigate how much could be saved by reloading.
I would say a bunch,all the reloading I've done in other calibers are about half what it cost new and don't see why that caliber would be different. Plus you could make combos you can't buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.