Ruger Bisley Blackhawk - Eval and 'Smith

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by pokute, Feb 14, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

I recently purchased a Ruger 5.5" SS Bisley 45LC Limited Edition, and today I started looking it over and figgerin' what to do to make it run like a scalded dog.

So, first things first, I took some measurements:

• All throats pass a 0.4505 plug gage, do not pass 0.4515
    • A 0.4415 plug passes through the bore smoothly
    • Ruger Base Pin Diameter: 0.248 - Belt Mountain 0.2495 base pin fits perfectly (as expected)
    • Cylinder Gap: 0.005 +/- 0.001 including play and runout

At this point I ran aground because I don't have the 7/64" ball driver I need to remove the Bisley grip frame! So, more to follow after I pick one up tomorrow.

Pic of the gun, Belt Mountain 0.2495 base pin, Brownell's Magna-Tip Screwdriver bits, Caliper and plug gage set:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. pokute

What's to follow?:

• Square and smooth internal parts by stoning
    • Reduce trigger pre-travel and creep; Reduce pull to 2 lbs
    • Install Hamilton Bowen rear sight
    • De-burr forcing cone
    • Clean up burrs and re-finish irregularities on grip frame and cylinder frame.

3. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

Very nice looking revolver! I like the fact that it doesn't have the usual 7.5" barrel and that it has the unfluted cylinder. Speaking of cylinders, I remember having read that a lot of the Blackhawks had consistency problems with the chambers specifically in the .45 Colt. Ruger does build some solid revolvers and the limited editions really are something special. I have a limited edition Ruger SP101 sitting next to me as I type. It's a 2.25" barreled .357 with Novak sights.

4. pokute

Yep, I turned down a very pretty blued 7.5 Bisley for $150 less because I wanted the balance of the 5.5.
    Normally I prefer the fluted cylinder, but this gun has the engraved (actually etched) Bisley cylinder, which is kind of neat.
    Before I measured the cylinder throats I was imagining all sorts of terrible outcomes. But they are 0.451 all around, so I'm happy!

The finish is overall a little better than Ruger's usual stainless finish. There are still a few rough spots. The bore is very shiny with no
    machining marks at all. The gun was a terrific bargain.

The SP101 with the Novak's looks very sturdy - I bet it could handle some heavy lead. It would be fun to polish the action on it and reshape the hammer like a 1911 commander hammer - And some custom grips that fill the space behind the trigger guard...

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a perfect 4" Security Six. Still a bargain, but not for long.

5. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

I'm glad to hear the cylinder is on the money, a rare thing in Ruger SA .45 Colts. I saw a NIB 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt for sale and was sorely tempted. Luckily for my wallet it sold before I had succumbed to temptation. I always thought a 3" barreled Security Six would be ideal for carry.

6. pokute

I've never seen a Redhawk in 45, and 4" would be perfect! I would have jumped on it! I am currently selling 5 guns, and somehow have more guns than I did before I started selling...

7. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Some guns are just hard to part with. No, let me rephrase that. All guns are hard to part with, Ha!

8. pokute

As much as I try to tell myself otherwise...

And, NO, in fact I cannot afford to buy all the guns I buy... But feeding my family is optional :eek:

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Fine lookin' firearm...

Here's my Stainless Ruger Bisley Vaquero 5.5" barrel ( Blackhawk Frame circa 2005 )...chambered in .357 Magnum.

[​IMG]

Didn't buy one in .45Colt...because I own a Peacemaker chambered for that cartridge.

10. gumpy

Those are some sharp wheelguns!

11. pokute

Totally jealous of that Model P.

12. pokute

Okay, all taken down (tools used shown):

Attached Files:

13. pokute

Hammer and Sear engagement from factory. Well, okay, the angle isn't right, but you get the idea. I'll be filing the part of the hammer adjacent to the notch flat - Not sure why they can't seem to keep their tooling aligned:

Attached Files:

14. pokute

Superb (NOT!) factory finish of the hammer nose (This pic is of the effect wrought by some idiot in the factory jamming the hammer nose into a stiff wire brush wheel - And what a charming job he did chamfering that hole - The pic was taken after I tried to hone the hammer flat - At least I have a surface to use as a reference when I recut the nose):

Attached Files:

15. pokute

Better looking sear (part of trigger casting) - Just need to stone the surfaces flat:

Attached Files:

16. pokute

Attached Files:

17. gumpy

Looks like speed and feed was off when machined
    Either that or they needed to sharpen their endmill! Lot of chatter marks!

18. pokute

So, you're saying you don't think it's just Class Z engraving?

Attached Files:

19. gumpy

That's beautiful!! Is it engraved or etched?

20. pokute

It gives me a headache to look at it! It looks like it's camouflaged as an issue of Vogue.