RO Compact (9mm) - Range Report - As promised

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by pendennis, Aug 12, 2015.

1. pendennis

pendennis New Member

In a previous post, I advised that I'd just purchased a new RO Compact, chambered in 9mm. Today, I got it to the range for a real break-in session.

I brought along some surplus 9mm, Federal 115gr, Hornady Critical Defense, and some private label 9mm purchased at a local gun show. I also had the two original factory mags (Check Mate), Metal Form from Midway, and two Colt OEM's.

After trying out the surplus 9mm, I determined that this was probably loaded for a sub gun, and I stopped after noticing some high primers, and a primer which fell out of the mag when I unloaded it. The first clue was that some primers required a manual cocking of the pistol to get the pistol to fire after misfiring at first. This ammo is now out of circulation.

Switching to factory loads resulted in 300 rounds of perfect performance. There were no failures of any type - No FTE, FTFeed, or FTFire. It doesn't make any difference how the ammo is loaded and in what order. It all worked perfectly. It really doesn't matter which magazine is used, because they all worked perfectly.

The first shot was an "X" @ ten yards (Yeah, yeah, I should have quit while I was ahead. [​IMG] [​IMG] ). However, onward and upward. When I held to correct aim, I hit perfectly. The recoil was genuinely mild. The extra one inch over my Colt Defender, is a definite advantage - lower muzzle flip, and a bit less felt recoil. The trigger was very crisp, and broke cleanly, although I don't know the exact pull weight. The front FO sight was extremely bright, and really stood out against the rear.

At the end of the break-in session, I am one happy camper.

I've always been a fan of my LWT Commander in Super .38. I'm still a big fan of the cartridge, and I reload to get excellent performance. That stated, this 9mm is going to be carried and shot.

Money aside, the Springfield RO Compact is a lot of pistol for the money.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Excellent range report! I've heard about primers falling out of cheap 9mm reloads before. Not unusual for the same ammo to have powder charge and seating depth issues as well, so junking it is the right thing to do. But don't worry about the pistol... A pistol designed for 45acp can shoot wildly overloaded 9mm all day, as long as headspace is not grossly excessive. In fact, a recently manufactured SA 1911 can shoot wildly overloaded 45acp all day!

3. pendennis

pendennis New Member

UPDATE: Range session 8/19/2015

I just finished running another 300 rounds through mine, and it continues to run perfectly. I ran a combination of FMJ, and self-defense ammo from Hornady, Federal, Remington and Barnes. It's fed all of them flawlessly. I've used Check Mate, Metal Form, and Wilson mags. The RO doesn't care which one is in the grip; they've all worked.

I have made one modification, and that's to remove the dual spring FLGR. replacing it with a standard 12lb Wolff recoil spring, and a Wilson Commander-length guide rod. This was done prior to the last 300 rounds. I just got an EGW reverse, no-hole, recoil spring plug. It needs to be shortened, and I'll take it to a trusted 'smith for the job. I know cutting off .25" from a .5" plug, shouldn't be a tough job, but I'd rather not screw up things.

After one more practice session, it's going to become part of my EDC "arsenal".

4. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

16lb is standard for a 9mm Commander. You should check for "comma" on your primers with a 12lb spring. In general, a 12lb spring is not a good choice for a duty gun - Net result is that it makes the gun less reliable. I can write a full description of the duty cycle of the recoil spring if you are interested, it's surprisingly complex.