Retiring to a hellhole... Good idea?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pokute, Sep 13, 2015.

1. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

So, I am strongly motivated at the moment to cash out and head for the sandy wastes. Pretty much down to a coin flip between Boron and California City. Cheap places to live, gun friendly sheriff, and BLM land just a shot away.

These places attract a certain kind of folks... Basically people who are tired of putting up with the rat race that makes even a trip to the grocery store a life defying feat. Unfortunately that seems to include a lot of folks with tattoos on their faces that grew there because they never expected to see daylight again.

Some of them make Charlie Manson look like a stand up citizen.

But, if you can manage to "get along" out there, it's quiet, cheap, and... uh... quiet.

As the last gainfully employed member of this forum, I seek the accumulated wisdom of the happy retirees to tell me whether I am deluded.

A plumber in Boron:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. pokute

Yard sale in Boron:

Attached Files:

3. pokute

Boron "fixer-upper":

Attached Files:

4. pokute

Boron tourist festival:

Attached Files:

5. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

Maybe you need to talk to a therapist.

6. DudeLove

DudeLove Member

Keep taking your meds everything will be fine.

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

You're chances of survival might be better in Chicago,just saying.:D

8. RichT

RichT New Member

Pokute, you really want quiet, try Aravaca Arizona... even cheaper than Boron and Cal city, and it's NOT in California, so you can own any gun you want....lol.

9. pokute

Looks like my kinda place, except the humidity is up around 60%... What's up with that?!

And it's even more expensive than CA City, let alone Boron. I think you've got old info, looks like a hippy haven these days.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

I take it you're not into Love Wagons.:D

11. pokute

Wouldn't mind a 1963 Chevy BelAir wagon.

12. RichT

RichT New Member

Possible, haven't been there for nearly 10 years, however, couple of notes, only time I've seen 60% humidity in the Tucson area is during a monsoon. Most of the year it's closer to 12/15%, much drier than here. When I was there, it was mostly retired rancher/cowboys, and folks who, like you, just wanted to "get away" from the rat race. Only about 2 mi. from the Mexico border. I'm sure if you look around, you could find housing for under 100K, especially if you stay away from the "city" itself,,,lol. Just kidding, there is no city there, just a few stores. Anyway, I have friends/acquaintances who live in Cal City. Verrrrry boring. As to Boron, been through it, but never spent time there. You're right however, it's pretty desolate. Good luck on your decision, and stay on the meds,,,lol.

13. pokute

I'll keep monitoring the RH in Arivaca, it looks promising.

14. RichT

RichT New Member

Pokute, you might also look south of Green Valley in the desert. Pretty nice there, and it's also pretty much off the grid. Or, head up into the mountains around Patagonia, really nice up there.

15. pokute

Interesting... Thanks! I normally stay in CA because I already know my way around the deserts here, but it looks like there are some nice places in AZ. I'll need to get some USGS mineral maps for Patagonia!