Remove Barrel Bushing

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by fredjocko, Jul 26, 2015.

1. fredjocko

fredjocko New Member

Have an embarrassing question. I shot my 1911 last week, put about 100 rounds through her and I thought I should clean her.

Watched Brownell's YouTube videos on cleaning the 1911 and it looks simple enough. Except, I can't get the barrel bushing off to get started. I even got the tool and it won't turn.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

STOP. Don't do another thing until I write the followup to this post. 15 minutes, please...

3. pokute

Okay, it sounds like you've got a properly match fitted bushing, so let's try to keep it that way!

Now, this may sound like it's going to take three hands, but give it a try.

Get a big thick rag or towel, and fold it up to make a pad.

VERSION 1. Gun with short guide rod:

with the butt of the gun resting on the pad, push the slide down about a quarter inch, and use your other two hands to rotate the bushing with your fingers until one leg of bushing is just holding down the edge of the spring plug. Relax for a minute and then carefully turn the bushing with the wrench the last little bit. You're done.

VERSION 2: Gun with FLGR (Full length guide rod):

Eat a bowl of wheaties, because this could be a real challenge...

Rest the butt of the gun on the towel pad. Push the slide back until the slide release is lined up with the takedown notch, HOLD IT there while you use your third hand to push the slide release out from the right side with a little piece of wooden dowel like the end of a chopstick or something. When the slide release is out, the gun will just fall to pieces, just like Jackie Chan does it in Rush Hour.

4. pokute

Aren't opposable thumbs wonderful?

Uh-oh... Half an hour later, no reply. He musta been blinded by the spring plug. I forgot to mention the safety glasses AGAIN.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. pokute

Well, assuming you will get it apart at some point, let's talk about putting it back together.

When you start putting it back together, keep in mind that, except when you might be compressing a spring, things should go together very easily. If you find yourself working overly hard, stop, and just play with the parts until they simply slip together. be sure to grease the inside of the bushing and under the external flange. Grease the inside of the spring plug. Grease the rails. When it comes time to install the slide stop, place an old credit card between the stop lug and the little plunger, and the stop will slide straight down into it's seat. Twisting the slide stop will do nothing to help, but will mar the finish of the gun.

6. fredjocko

fredjocko New Member

Thank you. I will try tonight and I won't forget to wear my safety glasses.

7. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Of course the gun will be unloaded, so cock the hammer so you are not having to move it along with the slide. If you squint your eyes real small you might not need the safety glasses.

8. pokute

Yep. Sorry, do cock the hammer! The squinting part, maybe not, because you want to see where it flies off to. You don't want it to go where my commander spring guide went... Into the cornfield.

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Why were you doing it by the cornfield??? :eek:

10. pokute

No choice:

Attached Files:

11. squirrelhunter

12. squirrelhunter

Probably Odumbo.

13. glennd

glennd New Member

Please forgive me for hijacking a thread, I can't find any instructions so I will just ask how do I start a new thread?

14. pokute

Select "Forum" from the menu at the top of the page, select any topic that seems appropriate, go to it, and use the "New Thread" button about 2 inches down on the left side.

15. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporter

Are you accessing the forum, via browser, or phone app?