Springfield Armory Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love my Hellcat also! And I trust it almost as much as my Glock 26 that has been my EDC for the past 4 years.

My Administrative Assistant had a serious problem with Hellcat.
It's back at Springfield now for examination and repair / replacement.

Her Hellcat's problem is described in Post #5 above.
I would go straight to her magazines, or did you try using yours? ALSO Look at the extractor could help. I always when asked to help ask these questions. How long have you owned the pistol, when did the issue first arise, on all magazines or just one or two? What has changed on the pistol since you last used it without an issue. Which i am certain you have already asked. When did you last clean the pistol completely, build up in the slide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know bullet ojive/tapper from nose to full driving band in 9 MM makes quite a differences more pointed nose design
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Wood Cylinder

versus a blunt nose
Liquid Ammunition Fluid Bullet Drink

make a very real difference in feeding and reliability.

The cast bullet is a picture of a friends reloads, the mould design is from Magma and while they worked great in his Gen 3 G 17 and Sig P 226 but not so in his G 48. I gave him 100 rounds of a MBC small ball coated bullet with a design like the jacketed bullet pictured, they feed 100 % out of his G 48.
When I learned to load 9 mm the rule of thumb was load as long as your magazine would allow

·
553 Posts
I would go straight to her magazines, or did you try using yours? ALSO Look at the extractor could help. I always when asked to help ask these questions. How long have you owned the pistol, when did the issue first arise, on all magazines or just one or two? What has changed on the pistol since you last used it without an issue. Which i am certain you have already asked. When did you last clean the pistol completely, build up in the slide.
Used 3 of my mags, all of which work with my Hellcat. Her Hellcat had been to the range once before and had no issues. No modifications. I cleaned it after that range trip. I did not say this in original post but she is my secretary and we shoot together often.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Used 3 of my mags, all of which work with my Hellcat. Her Hellcat had been to the range once before and had no issues. No modifications. I cleaned it after that range trip. I did not say this in originally but she is my secretary.
I assume by now her pistol is OK, so you know now the issue. So with a magazine fully inserted, a magazine used before now fails to allow a single round to chamber??? A round from various brands? What you describe sounds almost impossible. The slide catches the round and pushes it from the top of the magazine at a slight angle and chambers that. I am at a loss. Love to hear what the problem was.

·
553 Posts
Yes, sponsorship can color one's affections and comments.
Miculek is a machine, a marvel.
When he retires from S&W he might not like the M&P as much.
He might move up to an XD, Hellcat, or Glock. LOL.
Then again, he might carry one of the little J-frames he shoots so well.

·
553 Posts
I assume by now her pistol is OK, so you know now the issue. So with a magazine fully inserted, a magazine used before now fails to allow a single round to chamber??? A round from various brands? What you describe sounds almost impossible. The slide catches the round and pushes it from the top of the magazine at a slight angle and chambers that. I am at a loss. Love to hear what the problem was.

It DOES sound impossible! Especially because it has only been shot one other time, 50 rds., all flawlessly.
3 of my mags, each with a different brand of ammo. All failed to chamber.
2 of those same 3 loaded mags worked perfectly in my Hellcat. (I did not bother to shoot any of the Gold Dots because I have already tested them and I only have 30 or so of them left.)

Her Hellcat is not yet back from SA, but if SA explains the issue I will certainly share it!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know bullet ojive/tapper from nose to full driving band in 9 MM makes quite a differences more pointed nose design

versus a blunt nose

make a very real difference in feeding and reliability.

The cast bullet is a picture of a friends reloads, the mould design is from Magma and while they worked great in his Gen 3 G 17 and Sig P 226 but not so in his G 48. I gave him 100 rounds of a MBC small ball coated bullet with a design like the jacketed bullet pictured, they feed 100 % out of his G 48.
When I learned to load 9 mm the rule of thumb was load as long as your magazine would allow
So what actual length do you load? What is the maximum / minimum length? The same for all your 9mm? Irrespective of round nose, conical etc? Also if i may ask how many times do you reload cases, 10, 20?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So what actual length do you load? What is the maximum / minimum length? The same for all your 9mm? Irrespective of round nose, conical etc? Also if i may ask how many times do you reload cases, 10, 20?
Most Glocks 1.135 same for the Hellcat,I have a Browning Hi Power that will accept 1.55 OAL.
I reload pistol cases till the mouth develops a crack or the primer pocket loosens although with semi auto cases I usually loose the case before that happens.

·
553 Posts
10/1/21 my secretary received an email from SA saying that her fixed Hellcat will arrive on Tuesday. Hopefully it will come with a note explaining what the issue was.

·
553 Posts
I think it's been about 2 weeks. I had the letter of explanation ready for her to send the day after Labor Day (I had to write it because she did know the proper terminology), but she procrastinated in sending it to SA.

·
553 Posts
Update on my friend’s Hellcat (post #5 above). She sent it to Springfield. They paid shipping both ways. I wrote the letter explaining the problem because my friend asked me to write it for her. I explained the issue in detail and asked for an explanation of the problem.

It came back from Springfield with a note saying they found no problem with the pistol. I called them and they told me they found no problem.

However we have taken it to the range twice since it was returned. It has had about 100 rounds through it since returning, 3 different kinds of ammo including 2 that it refused to chamber previously, plus some Winchester steel case that I don’t like much. It ate all 3 kinds of ammo and has functioned flawlessly.

I suspect there was some problem but that Springfield is happy to fix their guns but also is reluctant to say that a gun had a problem.

I say that because of this experience and because of another similar experience. I purchased a Hellcat (my second) that had a burr on the trigger pin. After 50 rounds the burr was beginning to dig a little into the barrel. I sent it to Springfield. They returned it saying that there was no problem HOWEVER the burr had been removed and the barrel had been refreshed.

They fixed the problem but said they hadn’t found one. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS?

Since being returned my Hellcat has had about 300 flawless rounds through it and there are no signs of unusual wear.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did you by any chance measure the internal chamber of the barrel with calipers?? Before and after sending it to Springfield? If you have the same model what is the internal measurement on yours. I have always found in every firearm i have owned that after 5 or 6 thousand rounds they run better and except round nose better. I know that she used it prior and there was no issues. Great to hear it worked out well. I know it is hard as the case is tapered. I find that the rear of the case is or can be an issue, hence with reloads and some cases i ream out my chamber and have a 1 thou tolerance. This in no way creates issues and i know most of our shooters do exactly the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guess I was lucky with mine as it now has 800 trouble rounds thru it, just keeps gobbling them up.
S A's method of not commenting but yet making adjustments reminds me of Glock when the Gen 4's were released, nothing but perfection.

·
553 Posts
Voltaire, I did not use my trusted Hornady digital calipers to measure her chamber. (Mods, if you read the context, you will see that this is NOT an inappropriate comment!) I have never reamed a chamber. (Again, dear Mods, in context this is NOT an inappropriate comment.) That would probably void a warranty which I am loathe to do. I generally only polish and change out springs. Springfield did tell me that my beautiful, wonderful, Powder River Precision trigger and sear installed on one of my XD pistols DID void the warranty. Oh well, I will accept that!

SJ 40, I have 2 Hellcats. After testing my first with 3 kinds of ammo, putting it through the paces, and realizing that I shoot it quite well by my standards, I loved my first one so much that it almost immediately became a trusted CC gun. I bought a second. I have 2 of each of the 3 guns that I regularly carry (Hellcat and Glock 26)--for spare parts and so that I can alternate to reduce wear and spring tension. Between the 2 Hellcats, I have about 800 rounds through them. It would normally be more, but like many people, I have shot less in 2020-21 due to ammo prices. I have shot almost exclusively reloads for the past 18 months or so; yet, I have reduced my shooting because I only had 1,200 small pistol primers going in to the pandemic. Am down to 400.

Regarding Hellcat reliabilty, with about 800 rounds fired across 2 Hellcats, I have never had any issues of any kind, apart from the unusual wear issue that Springfield fixed (but said did not exist--see post # 33). ALL IN ALL, I AM IMPRESSED WITH AND TRUST THE HELLCAT AND CARRY ONE WITH CONFIDENCE.

A Hellcat target. The top one is not a flier.
Orange Sleeve Gesture Red Font

·
Registered
284 Posts
Excellent shooting, i can't quite make out the distance in left hand corner? Your non flier looks more like 2 shots. Your shooting is great is that from a draw? Now and i am joking cover half the target horizontally and one vertically and shoot centre of seen mass. Then strong hand and then weak hand, then also holding an item in other hand, briefcase with 1/2 brick which cannot be dropped and must he retained. Then standing facing up range and turn and engage. Then draw dropping to one knee and engage. If you are shooting in the real world there are no rings and lines, blank targets which i am certain you have used. From timer beep to first shot is a must to know. Then improve. Have fun. Buy more primers.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have run 100 rounds of steel case thru my Hellcat as well as 2800 of fmj brass case and 200 rounds of hollowpoint with no failures.

Hollowpoint that was fired was Critical Duty, Critical Defense and American Hand Gunner. All are Hornady and functioned flawlessly.
All bullet weights were either 124gr or 115gr.

·
Registered
2021, Springfield Armory Hellcat
12 Posts
I have run 100 rounds of steel case thru my Hellcat as well as 2800 of fmj brass case and 200 rounds of hollowpoint with no failures.

Hollowpoint that was fired was Critical Duty, Critical Defense and American Hand Gunner. All are Hornady and functioned flawlessly.

I recently purchased the new hellcat with the manual safety and I only fire Hornady critical defense 115 grain or Hornady American gunner 115 grain XTP and they perform flawlessly. This is the third hellcat I have. My first hellcat I have put about 4000 rounds of American gunner 115 grain and about 500 rounds of the 115 grain Hornady critical defense. And I haven’t had one issue at all! I highly recommend Hornady for all your ammo needs. They are a little pricey, but if you’re going to spend the money for a good concealed carry weapon like the Springfield Armory Hellcat then you should spend a little extra on the rounds that you’re going to fire through it, especially for a defensive caring. In my opinion, and I believe I share this opinion with about 99% of anybody who knows anything about firearms, only a fool Carries full metal jacket for defensive carry. I like to use what I carry for the defense carry to train with as well. It’s pricey but it’s just something I prefer to do. I have over 700 rounds of federal training admonition full metal jacket about 400 rounds of Winchester full metal jacket and at least another 1500 for metal jackets from CCI/spear that I’m never going to use at the range because I like to train with what I’m going to carry every day. But I am with you, Hornady ammunition is the best I’ve ever used! That’s just my thought.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Hellcat is just a pistol, made in Croatia and from what i have read in various forums they have more issues than most other compacts. Hornady ammunition is just that, ammunition. All, and i say again all 9mm pistols or for that fact all pistol must be able to use all ammunition made, respective of brand. A pistol is a pistol, some great others not so. In fact if used for defense then all the person being attached/assault is attempting to do is to stop the person not to kill him or her. I take issue with your comment "only a fool carries full metal jacket for defensive carry" ammo.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts