Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a Sig P365 and a Springfield Hellcat to see which I liked better. One of these is going to replace my Glock 26. I took both to the range, and fired 250 rounds of brass, round nose FMJ through each to "break them in". I then cleaned both of them with Ballistol. Then lightly oiled both, and proceeded to test then with my choice of self defense round which is Federal HST. The Springfield Hellcat jammed (FTF) once out of 25 of the HSTs. The Sig P365 ran the other 25 HSTs flawlessly. Then just for grins, I shot 100 rounds of Winchester steel case round nose FMJ through each of them. The Hellcat worked flawlessly, and the Sig P365 has one jam (FTE). For control purposes, my Glock 26 has never had either of these issues with either of that ammo.

Now, all that said, I like the Hellcat in almost every way more than the P365. I like the grip better, I like the sights better, and I like the additional round. I do think the trigger on the P365 is a hair better, but I have been carrying the P365 specifically because I can't fully trust the Hellcat with the Federal HSTs. I will never use steel case for self defense so the FTE on the P365 doesn't concern me.

Has anyone else experienced a FTF with their self defense ammo? I really want to carry the Hellcat but currently don't feel completely comfortable trusting my life to it.

Finger Trigger Thumb Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Finger Bicycle part Gun accessory Gun barrel
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Electric blue

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I purchased a Sig P365 and a Springfield Hellcat to see which I liked better. One of these is going to replace my Glock 26. I took both to the range, and fired 250 rounds of brass, round nose FMJ through each to "break them in". I then cleaned both of them with Ballistol. Then lightly oiled both, and proceeded to test then with my choice of self defense round which is Federal HST. The Springfield Hellcat jammed (FTF) once out of 25 of the HSTs. The Sig P365 ran the other 25 HSTs flawlessly. Then just for grins, I shot 100 rounds of Winchester steel case round nose FMJ through each of them. The Hellcat worked flawlessly, and the Sig P365 has one jam (FTE). For control purposes, my Glock 26 has never had either of these issues with either of that ammo.

Now, all that said, I like the Hellcat in almost every way more than the P365. I like the grip better, I like the sights better, and I like the additional round. I do think the trigger on the P365 is a hair better, but I have been carrying the P365 specifically because I can't fully trust the Hellcat with the Federal HSTs. I will never use steel case for self defense so the FTE on the P365 doesn't concern me.

Has anyone else experienced a FTF with their self defense ammo? I really want to carry the Hellcat but currently don't feel completely comfortable trusting my life to it.

View attachment 2334 View attachment 2335 View attachment 2336
Since Rob Leatham joined Springfield,, all Springfield products have improved dramatically, Ergonomically, Suitability and Reliability. I met Rob at Usery pass gun range,, he said to me at a shoot we were doing… “buy an XD9,,,or a 45.. you’ll like how it feels,, and how it shoots.. that day,, he was shooting a XD9. 😎

·
556 Posts
In 5 years of owning it and shooting it an average of twice a month my Glock 26 has never had a problem of any kind in my hands, but it has jammed twice in the hands of friends. I blame their grips, not my 26. The 26 has had many kinds of ammo through it, but never steel cases or un-jacketed bullets. Glock reliability is about as good as it gets.

I got my Hellcat in 2021. Since I refuse to pay current market price for 9mm, the Hellcat has only ever had 10 rounds of 124 grain Speer Gold Dots and about 350 of my own loads through it (115 grain FMJ with 4.8 grains of Unique). It has had no issues of any kind so far. I trust it and carry it often.

It's possible that Hellcats don't like HSTs. I have not read anything about it, but I have read that the Springfield XD line does not like Hornady Critical Defense or Duty. That's just other people's reports.

Many people love HSTs and I am not knocking them, but my trusted 9mm defensive round is 124 grain Gold Dots. They have functioned flawlessly for me in several guns.

Happy shooting!

·
556 Posts
I went to the range Friday and shot 50 of my own practice loads through my Hellcat (4.8 grains of Unique and a Berry's 115 grain RD, seated to 1.154 OAL). That brings the round count to about 400. Have not had any problems of any kind.

HOWEVER, another person was there with a Hellcat who could not get a round chambered. She was using Winchester Whitebox. She asked me to try. Not only could I not get it to chamber any of her Whitebox, but it also refused to feed all 3 of the kinds of 9mm that I had with me: 115 grain S&B I had from 2019, my standard practice load, and the 124 grain Speer Gold Dots from one of my carry mags.

There is obviously something wrong with that Hellcat! The woman is going to send it to Springfield after Labor Day.

Given that experience, you might want to try a few different kinds of ammo and test yours thoroughly. However, since yours shot 24/25 of your HSTs, yours does not have the severe problem that woman's Hellcat had. Hers would not chamber anything on hand and was not fired.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to the range Friday and shot 50 of my own practice loads through my Hellcat (4.8 grains of Unique and a Berry's 115 grain RD, seated to 1.154 OAL). That brings the round count to about 400. Have not had any problems of any kind.

HOWEVER, another person was there with a Hellcat who could not get a round chambered. She was using Winchester Whitebox. She asked me to try. Not only could I not get it to chamber any of her Whitebox, but it also refused to feed all 3 of the kinds of 9mm that I had with me: 115 grain S&B I had from 2019, my standard practice load, and the 124 grain Speer Gold Dots from one of my carry mags.

There is obviously something wrong with that Hellcat! The woman is going to send it to Springfield after Labor Day.

Given that experience, you might want to try a few different kinds of ammo and test yours thoroughly. However, since yours shot 24/25 of your HSTs, yours does not have the severe problem that woman's Hellcat had. Hers would not chamber anything on hand and was not fired.
The 115 gr. FMJ Winchester white box are also known to have chambering problems in the Gen 5 marksman barrels,I'm starting to think some of the problem lays with WWB 115 gr. FMJ ammunition it's self.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You mentioned failure to fire, or is it load as per the picture. The Hellcat gas a firing pin and in many pistols you can purchase a loner firing pin, my about 1/16" as some ammunition manufacturers have very heavy primers that take some 6-8 lbs of hammer spring to ignite them. Other manufacturers like Federal use soft primes (Federal number 100) as do others for lighter hammer springs. So if you load your own you can select The federal or CCI as soft primers and 100% reliable. Winchester make the hardest primers, when you purchase ready made they are hard primers. Then you can also set the length of the round to 1.111thou, as this alleviates FTE as some manufacturers who make rounds a fraction longer, this can be an issue. Factory ammo from federal if you find what you like are softer primers .

·
556 Posts
The issue my friend was having is same as the issue the OP had, but OP had it 1/25.
My friend had failure to feed with 4 different kinds of loads.

CCI are my favorite primers! However, for the past few months I have been using 40+ year-old WSP primers that I purchased from a tire store (the owner took them on trade years ago).

·
Registered
287 Posts
The issue my friend was having is same as the issue the OP had, but OP had it 1/25.
My friend had failure to feed with 4 different kinds of loads.

CCI are my favorite primers! However, for the past few months I have been using 40+ year-old WSP primers that I purchased from a tire store (the owner took them on trade years ago).
Hi, as i have never in more than 30 years of shooting ever purchased a manufactured round in 9mm what actual length are they. for (many years i shot open pistols using .38 super, which are not manufactured, if they are maybe in the US. When i load 9mm, which i have now for a couple of years i find if my load is longer than 1.11" they fail to feed if using round nose projectile, conical still works. I also found the opening on the magazines, if not 100% correct will allow a round to fail to feed. CCI are good, my second option but with a reduced hammer spring 2 out of 100 fail on first attempt and fire when fired again. My other option now is Fiocchi primers, but for all matches i only use Federal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know it's a different animal, but a friend of mine bought a Rock Island compact.45 and it would not feed any self defense ammo.
He polished the feed ramp and now it works fine.
Just a thought..

·
Registered
287 Posts
So polishing a ramp allows ammunition to feed? I always thought as i own several that the feed ramp was polished? It was on my XD? Friends have a tendency to say thing that may for reasons unknown work for them but identified the wrong solution? Great it was that simple.

·
556 Posts
The 1.154 OAL has fed well for me in 3 Glocks, 2 Hellcats, 2 XD, and a CZ 75B. Never had an issue.

If I seat them down 1.11, might it cause issues in guns that work great with 1.154?

Do hundredths or thousandths of a inch matter much on 9mm?

I know some calibers need fairly exact loads--like 5.7 x 28, which I don't load--but I always thought most modern 9mm pistols will accept a fairly wide range of case lengths.

·
556 Posts
I know it's a different animal, but a friend of mine bought a Rock Island compact.45 and it would not feed any self defense ammo.
He polished the feed ramp and now it works fine.
Just a thought..

As far as I know, RI tends to stay pretty close to the original mil spec, and John Moses Browning designed it for ball ammo. I had an old mil spec 1911 that would only feed ball ammo. Newer designs often make modifications that help with the acceptance of more conical self-defense ammo.

I don't know if polishing the feed ramp actually does anything, but I generally do have my ramps polished. Springfields usually come with polished ramps but Glocks don't.

·
556 Posts
Voltaire, what do you think?

The 1.154 OAL has fed well for me in 3 Glocks, 2 Hellcats, 2 XD, and a CZ 75B. Never had an issue.

If I seat them down 1.11, might it cause issues in guns that work great with 1.154?

Do hundredths or thousandths of a inch matter much on 9mm?

I know some calibers need fairly exact loads--like 5.7 x 28, which I don't load--but I always thought most modern 9mm pistols will accept a fairly wide range of case lengths.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not certain how to answer the question on lengths of 9mm. I have for a long time used the Winchester Reloading Manual. My copy 2003 Edition. In the manual it show OAL of 9mm should be 1.169". Back a while ago i and many in clubs i belong to loaded approx as it was no big deal we thought 1.15. Now as we shoot as you do a great deal and in IPSC etc shooting 3, 4, or 5 rounds per second problems began. Some people in matches shoot faster. Jams occurred and length was identified as a possibility. I and many others settled on 1.11 -1.14. As i also shoot a XD i found in the 2+ years i have owned it NO issues, of any type. My presses are set up that way at 1.11 and i stay with that. My favourite 2 toys are CZ, 75 Shadow and i have owned also the Shadow 2 etc. Never had an issue, problem and i cannot think of any shooter i know who loads differently as we often share ammo. I also have owned some years ago a model 17 and 34 glocks and the M&P. All functioned well. We as a group cannot agree on the best projectiles, copper etc was and or powder brand. As you rightly say, a couple of Thou cannot make it that hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021, Springfield Armory Hellcat
12 Posts
I recently purchased the new hellcat OSP with manual safety and I too love the federal FST ammo. I’ve been to the range twice with it and have fired 275 rounds of the FST from federal without one hiccup. I also shot a box of 50 of the white box 115 grain FM J from Winchester and again my hellcat shot flawless. And that was straight out of the box. I do agree that each gun is it on animal because my neighbor has The non-OSP hellcat and he shot 100 of the federal FST and had one failure to feed but the other 99 went through flawlessly. I am a firm believer in training with what you’re going to carry, it’s expensive but to me it’s worth it because I wanna know how my gun is going to react and feel when I fire my defense of loads for self-defense purposes. i’ve heard people talk about the white box and 115 grain FM J’s from Winchester but I’ve had no issues with them at all. My new hellcat is now my every day carry and also my back up weapon when I’m on duty. If I could I would carry my hellcat as my primary side arm but my department of course won’t let me. That’s how much I trust it. Don’t give up on the federal FST nor the hellcat, before you do anything rash I would take it back to the range after a thorough cleaning and see how it performs again. That’s just my opinion. I honestly believe that the Springfield Armory hellcat is the best micro contact 9 mm I have ever Fired and that goes for subcompact also.

·
556 Posts
Not certain how to answer the question on lengths of 9mm. I have for a long time used the Winchester Reloading Manual. My copy 2003 Edition. In the manual it show OAL of 9mm should be 1.169". Back a while ago i and many in clubs i belong to loaded approx as it was no big deal we thought 1.15. Now as we shoot as you do a great deal and in IPSC etc shooting 3, 4, or 5 rounds per second problems began. Some people in matches shoot faster. Jams occurred and length was identified as a possibility. I and many others settled on 1.11 -1.14. As i also shoot a XD i found in the 2+ years i have owned it NO issues, of any type. My presses are set up that way at 1.11 and i stay with that. My favourite 2 toys are CZ, 75 Shadow and i have owned also the Shadow 2 etc. Never had an issue, problem and i cannot think of any shooter i know who loads differently as we often share ammo. I also have owned some years ago a model 17 and 34 glocks and the M&P. All functioned well. We as a group cannot agree on the best projectiles, copper etc was and or powder brand. As you rightly say, a couple of Thou cannot make it that hard.
Thanks for the info!

I currently load only 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 Spec, and 44 Mag. I am no expert.

I use the 2019 Lyman manual and the 2017 Lee manual.
Both list the MAX OAL for 9mm as 1.169, and both would allow 1.11 with the 115 gr. bullets I have been using.

When I was setting up my bullet seating die for 9mm a few years ago, I settled on 1.154 because it was basically the average of the different factory ammos that have worked well for me.

In general, what feeds better, bullets seated close to the MINIMUM OAL, or closer to the MAX OAL?
Or near the middle between MIN and MAX?

·
556 Posts
I recently purchased the new hellcat OSP with manual safety and I too love the federal FST ammo. I’ve been to the range twice with it and have fired 275 rounds of the FST from federal without one hiccup. I also shot a box of 50 of the white box 115 grain FM J from Winchester and again my hellcat shot flawless. And that was straight out of the box. I do agree that each gun is it on animal because my neighbor has The non-OSP hellcat and he shot 100 of the federal FST and had one failure to feed but the other 99 went through flawlessly. I am a firm believer in training with what you’re going to carry, it’s expensive but to me it’s worth it because I wanna know how my gun is going to react and feel when I fire my defense of loads for self-defense purposes. i’ve heard people talk about the white box and 115 grain FM J’s from Winchester but I’ve had no issues with them at all. My new hellcat is now my every day carry and also my back up weapon when I’m on duty. If I could I would carry my hellcat as my primary side arm but my department of course won’t let me. That’s how much I trust it. Don’t give up on the federal FST nor the hellcat, before you do anything rash I would take it back to the range after a thorough cleaning and see how it performs again. That’s just my opinion. I honestly believe that the Springfield Armory hellcat is the best micro contact 9 mm I have ever Fired and that goes for subcompact also.
I love my Hellcat also! And I trust it almost as much as my Glock 26 that has been my EDC for the past 4 years.

My Administrative Assistant had a serious problem with Hellcat.
It's back at Springfield now for examination and repair / replacement.

Her Hellcat's problem is described in Post #5 above.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great to hear that all functions well, "if it's not broken, don't fix it". I am also not an expert and i am unsure what an expert actually is. From what you have said and what you shoot i am sure you are right up there with the best of them. Experts and i don't know any but what i read they cannot and do not agree on anything. Not best pistol, projectile, how many grains powder, or what brand of powder. Not even how to hold a semi. We who shoot a few rounds a week, (lol), go through a process of trial and error. We ask friends and still do what we do, but note what they said. Many of the top world shooters are sponsored, they buy nothing and still JM is an M&P man. He shoots pistols handed to him, projectiles and all else. Fantastic guy to watch, he has much knowledge and i would love to hear what he has to say when he has NO sponsorship.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts