1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for either

1) a scout scope to mount on the forward rail

or

2) a scope that can be mounted on the optional Springfield rail above the receiver

Regarding 2) my concern is that the scope ends up being too high up, so a model that ends up as low as possible is preferred.

My price range is up to USD 500.- and I'm looking for something with 2-7 or 2-9 magnification. Looking forward to your recommendations!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello mzh,
I have a Burris 2x7 Scout Scope mounted with Burris Extreme low rings on my Scout Squad. The rear bell of the scope sits about 3/8" from the flat part of the receiver. Scope and rings were less than $500 from Optics Planet. I tried an ULTIMAK rail to replace the stock rail, but then the scope was actually touching the receiver. The addition of the ULTIMAK would put you over budget anyway. I'm satisfied with this set-up, so far. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a few tips for scope use on the M1A:

A scout type scope mounted forward of the receiver will have a very narrow field of view. A scope of the same power mounted over the receiver will have a much wider field of view.

If you find that your mount places the scope too high for your personal taste, you can add a leather check piece to the stock to give you a firmer cheek weld and align your eye to the scope better. I used these on my M1A match rifles when I was developing long range loads for NM competition, and they are a useful addition when mounting a scope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a few tips for scope use on the M1A:

A scout type scope mounted forward of the receiver will have a very narrow field of view. A scope of the same power mounted over the receiver will have a much wider field of view.

If you find that your mount places the scope too high for your personal taste, you can add a leather check piece to the stock to give you a firmer cheek weld and align your eye to the scope better. I used these on my M1A match rifles when I was developing long range loads for NM competition, and they are a useful addition when mounting a scope.
Thanks for the input, what are possible applications of the forward rail in your opinion?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never really bonded with the scout scope concept. Having used the M21 in the service (M14NM with either the Redfield 3X9 or the Leatherwood 3X9) I still prefer having the scope over the receiver and the ocular lens closer to my eye. I guess it's just familiarity, but I can get on target much faster with its wider field of view. I've shot rifles set up as scout rifles, but they just feel out of balance and awkward to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never really bonded with the scout scope concept. Having used the M21 in the service (M14NM with either the Redfield 3X9 or the Leatherwood 3X9) I still prefer having the scope over the receiver and the ocular lens closer to my eye. I guess it's just familiarity, but I can get on target much faster with its wider field of view. I've shot rifles set up as scout rifles, but they just feel out of balance and awkward to me.
appreciate your opinion, I'm taking it as an experiment and will see how much I like it. I'm trying to find a rifle configuration that helps me in the 200-300 m range

1 - 7 of 7 Posts