Recoil of Xds 9mm vs ruger LCP .380

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by treygan, Mar 29, 2014.

1. treygan

treygan New Member

I'm trying to find a good carry pistol for my wife. She really likes shooting my xdm .40 with 4.5 inch barrel. I also have a ruger lcp that she hates to shoot. It hurts her hand. So I was wanting to know if anybody has shot the xds 9mm and a ruger lcp ad how the recoil compares. What I really want to know is if I should get her the xds or the xdm 3.8. She wants a semi auto not a revolver and she also doesn't like the double action trigger of the lcp. Thanks for any help.

Treygan

2. dondavis3

dondavis3 dondavis3

Are you only considering those two guns?

:cool:

3. treygan

treygan New Member

Not necessarily, but I love my xdm and it's is a reliable gun. And she likes the looks of it and had mentioned wanting one, "just smaller" so that's kinda why I was thinking about them. I just haven't shot an xds. And while I know I could handle it, I'm not sure if she could because she shot the lcp twice and won't even pick it up now. I know she'd be ok with an xdm .9mm though.

Treygan

4. dondavis3

dondavis3 dondavis3

You / she should look at a S&W M&P 9c (compact) - very low recoil & 12+1 capacity

or the S&W "Shield"

Good luck in your search - be sure to rent and let her try any gun 1st & try to let her pick it out.

5. treygan

treygan New Member

Ok. Thanks for the advice. And I'll definitely look into those pistols. I don't know of a place around me where I will have access to a lot of guns to rent. I will do some searching on that for sure. We only have one shooting range real close but maybe there's a couple in a bigger city about an hour away. I do most of my shooting behind the house. I have a 300 yard range setup back there!

Treygan

6. Scottacus

Scottacus New Member

Check out the Remington R51 it's a great lil shooter after you break it in. New out the box it's super super sticky but get thru it and u'll be amazed literally point n shoot. Got one for my ol lady it's her first handgun. She loves it. Again thou out the box they function poorly like their 11-87 it needs a break in period big time. After a few mags a cleaning a few more mags n cleaning then about 50 rounds n a cleaning it started smoothing out a lil now with 250 thru it it cycles flawless for about 100rds of some dirty ass federal rounds n started to get sticky n not cycle the last round. Quick cleaning of the slide rail n got another 50 without a hitch.... Recoil with +p rounds is no diff than regular. I'd give it a 7 outta 10 ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1397075071.814827.jpg ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1397075115.426480.jpg

Fired from my iPhone using Springfield 1911 Range Officer

7. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

I think if I was looking for a gun for my wife, I'd let HER pick out what SHE likes and is comfortable for HER. I got into the he-man mentality when we looking for a HD gun for the wife. I thought a nice lite recoiling 9mm or 380 would be the ticket for her. Then she shot a buddies S&W Mod 19 21/2 inch round butt and loved it. Now 30 years plus later, she still shoots that 19 21/2 inch round butt we got her, and she's darn good with it.

Just sayin.

8. Scottacus

Scottacus New Member

My ol lady picked her gun 100% she handled 10-15 different 9mm thanks thou ;)

~~PpP VTLM~~

9. Scottacus

Scottacus New Member

I really feel picking out a gun is a intimate thing. I have a connection of some sorts with every gun I own. It just has to feel right when I grab it.

~~PpP VTLM~~

10. treygan

treygan New Member

I am letting her pick it out. He just really likes my full size xdm 40 as far as looks and feel, but wants something a little smaller framed. She has held quite a few guns, but every stupid gun dealer we talk to tells her what she wants and it's always a .38 revolver ( which she doesn't want!). She absolutely doesn't want a revolver. Not sure why but she doesn't. She is completely in on the decision but until posting I hadn't even thought about going to a gun range and renting different ones for her to try. I have a 300 yard shooting range out my back door so that's where I do all my shooting. But now we are going to go rent a few and see what size and caliber she is most comfortable with.

Treygan

11. gumpy

gumpy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Excellent approach

12. Balota

Balota Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That's the best way to handle it. Most larger ranges have a rental system. At the range where I shoot, it's $10 to rent a gun. But 100% of the rental fees within the last year count towards purchase of a new gun. Both of my XDm guns cost around $100 off from rental fees.