Recoil Buffers

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Deadeye, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Hi All,
    I'm a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 owner. It's my primary carry gun and I'd like to get some opinions on recoil buffers. Anyone think they're a worthwhile addition?
    Thanks!

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Recoil buffers or "ShokBufs" are definitely worthwhile. They improve the feel of the recoil impulse and lengthen the life of the gun. A gun run on ShokBufs will look new internally indefinitely. The only potential downside is that Commander length slides may not slingshot or even lock back on an empty mag with a ShokBuf in place. Full size GI frames have no such problems.

There is some BS around that ShokBufs will go to pieces and jam up your gun. First of all, they last well over 1000 rounds, so you will have plenty of opportunity to inspect them during field stripping and cleaning. Second of all, if by some miracle one did go to pieces... Nah, they are crazy tough, it won't happen. I recommend the Blue ones from Wilson.

A very long time ago they were made by King's and were made of leather. The leather ones would go to pieces, but I still doubt that they would jam up the gun. They'd just fall into the dust cover and out the front.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

3. pokute

And welcome to the forum!

4. Geezer

Geezer New Member

My opinion, and it's worth exactly what your paying for it, is that the buffers are a gimmick and serve no real purpose other than to separate you from your money.

5. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Thanks for the welcome and for the in-put! I think that I'm going to use the buffers. I can get a pack of six of the blue Wilson buffers for $10, which seems like cheap insurance to me. Also, I've been reading these postings since I joined and Mr. Pokute seems to know his way around a 1911.
    Thanks again!

6. pokute

Haha! Fell for my self-generated pseudo-credibility! Bill Wilson owes me another nickel!

7. Straightwall

Straightwall New Member

I have used them without trouble, but have been told by a gunsmith that using the proper recoil spring for the load you are shooting eliminates the need for a buffer. As Geezer said, my source called it a gimmick.

I have not put one into my new Mil-Spec yet.

Welcome!

8. pokute

The "proper" recoil spring is the lightest one necessary to prevent premature unlocking (as indicated by comma shaped firing pin marks on your primers). And that's exactly the situation where the ShokBuf does it's job (softening the blow of the slide against the frame at full rearward travel) best.

All my fullsize 1911's are running ShokBufs. I'd be afraid to shoot my WWI gun without one.

9. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I'll bet it was shot without one during WWI.

10. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

11. pokute

Okay, fine. Don't use one. I hope you get carpal tunnel and are reduced to pointing your finger and going "Bang! Bang!".

12. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Oh, I'm going to use the buffer. I'm sure that General Pershing would have insisted on them had they been available 100 years ago. Also, it's not polite to point.

13. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

14. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

15. pokute

No doubt about Pershing being a forward thinker:

Attached Files:

16. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

A little under cover work at Galipoli?

17. pokute

Or maybe at Archie McPhee?

18. Geezer

Geezer New Member

I've got arthritis, bad knees, a prostate as big as a grapefruit, and failing eyesight. I don't have time for carpal tunnel.

19. Patrick

Patrick New Member

I use the Wilson blue ShokBufs in my Springfield M1911-A1 Loaded 45 APC and change them out every thousand rounds.....no problems.

20. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member