Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Hellcat out for its second range trip yesterday afternoon. I was shooting left the entire time, so I'm puzzled about that. Anyways, here's a post of my 25 yard target - not great, but I got 9 of my 10 shots in the 12"x12" square so I guess that's a win.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took my Hellcat out for its second range trip yesterday afternoon. I was shooting left the entire time, so I'm puzzled about that. Anyways, here's a post of my 25 yard target - not great, but I got 9 of my 10 shots in the 12"x12" square so I guess that's a win.
View attachment 2337
My second time at the range with my new hellcat, I was shooting just left of center with 75 rounds. Since the after cleaning each time and shooting 4 more time at the tange it is now dialed in. I think it just needs some wear in time. Stick with it and you will see the difference.

·
160 Posts
Glad you're able to get the Hellcat out and shoot. 25 yards is a fairly long distance to practice with such a short barreled weapon. The vast majority of the time shots in a self defense situation are under 10 yards. Try some targets in the 7 yard range and see how you group. Also, right handers will pull shots to the left if their trigger pull is not what it should be. Try it on a rest at 7 yards and see how it groups. That way you'll know if it's the sights or your shooting that is causing those left hand hits. Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you're able to get the Hellcat out and shoot. 25 yards is a fairly long distance to practice with such a short barreled weapon. The vast majority of the time shots in a self defense situation are under 10 yards. Try some targets in the 7 yard range and see how you group. Also, right handers will pull shots to the left if their trigger pull is not what it should be. Try it on a rest at 7 yards and see how it groups. That way you'll know if it's the sights or your shooting that is causing those left hand hits. Keep us up to date.
I did plenty of 7 yard shots, both double and dominant hand. They were all pretty similar. Here is one of my 7-yard targets.

·
160 Posts
Much tighter group. Definitely left and mostly low, which usually indicates a trigger pull issue. Lefties go low and right.. I would still try it at 7 yards on a rest or sandbag with a nice slow straight deliberate trigger pull and see where it hits. That might center it up better. Would be interesting to see. If it hits the same then it could need a sight adjustment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much tighter group. Definitely left and mostly low, which usually indicates a trigger pull issue. Lefties go low and right.. I would still try it at 7 yards on a rest or sandbag with a nice slow straight deliberate trigger pull and see where it hits. That might center it up better. Would be interesting to see. If it hits the same then it could need a sight adjustment.
I don't think most of the ranges I go to have bench rest setups for their handgun stalls, but my previous post of my first trip to the range had very different groupings...so this is strange.

·
160 Posts
Yes they were different. Take a look at your sights to see if they appear centered on the slide. I don't have a Hellcat so I'm not sure if they have a locking screw on the rear sight that may have not been tight. You can take some kind of a rest to the range. Anything that you can set the weapon on to alleviate any movement of the bore at ignition. I guess I'm kinda spoiled. My friends and I have our own range in a rural area, which most of WV is anyway. We have it set up for paper and steel targets at various ranges for both pistol and rifle along with tables and a nice shooting chair/bench for righties and lefties. It's not ideal when the weather is bad for extended periods, but we do have a commercial indoor range 20 miles down the road if needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they were different. Take a look at your sights to see if they appear centered on the slide. I don't have a Hellcat so I'm not sure if they have a locking screw on the rear sight that may have not been tight. You can take some kind of a rest to the range. Anything that you can set the weapon on to alleviate any movement of the bore at ignition. I guess I'm kinda spoiled. My friends and I have our own range in a rural area, which most of WV is anyway. We have it set up for paper and steel targets at various ranges for both pistol and rifle along with tables and a nice shooting chair/bench for righties and lefties. It's not ideal when the weather is bad for extended periods, but we do have a commercial indoor range 20 miles down the road if needed.
The sights are fixed, but I'm assuming they're perfectly fine - I've been practicing with a gsight laser trainer and that is spot on with my sights. I've been shooting perfectly at 50ft with the gsight so to see so many of my shots going left yesterday is puzzling.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This might help. I am a firm believer that practice at 25 yards id valuable. I usually teach 3-5 mags at 50 yards, then 25, 15 and 10. If you can shoot well at that distance at 7 yards this will make it so easy.

·
160 Posts
That's a good chart Voltaire. I expect the issue lies in the tightening, jerking or slapping section. That's why I suggested shooting from a rest to make sure it wasn't a sight issue. I do agree that shooting at longer distances (25 -50 yards) is valuable, but it takes good technique to consistently hit what you intend to at that range. Otherwise, you're just burning ammo and getting frustrated. I've always worked at the 7-10 range till I was satisfied with my shooting, then moved out to the longer distances and was generally able to hit at or close to my point of aim. I've never worried much about grouping at 25+ yards, especially when standing and shooting without a rest. I even have some 18" steel gongs at 100 yards that we ring with our handguns. Then there is always those off days when for some reason your shooting is not what it normally is.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's a good chart Voltaire. I expect the issue lies in the tightening, jerking or slapping section. That's why I suggested shooting from a rest to make sure it wasn't a sight issue. I do agree that shooting at longer distances (25 -50 yards) is valuable, but it takes good technique to consistently hit what you intend to at that range. Otherwise, you're just burning ammo and getting frustrated. I've always worked at the 7-10 range till I was satisfied with my shooting, then moved out to the longer distances and was generally able to hit at or close to my point of aim. I've never worried much about grouping at 25+ yards, especially when standing and shooting without a rest. I even have some 18" steel gongs at 100 yards that we ring with our handguns. Then there is always those off days when for some reason your shooting is not what it normally is.
From what you wrote and your approach to shooting we can all learn from that. Yes, i agree as would all other good shooters in your approach. Excellent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts