Range report

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by DrewManto, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1485408203.716568.jpg

Finally got to let her go last weekend and she did great! This was my last target of the day and the last few clips in put in her. Groupings were okay but I found myself hanging low to the left. And I'd find myself getting lazy between rounds and just squeezing, hence the random holes. Last mag was the head shots at what I would consider "close" to rapid fire if that makes sense. But I'd try to reposition my trigger finger to adjust the pull and try other methods to avoid the flinch, as a friend told me I was doing. Any other suggestions?

Also, the grip will be upgraded. Not sure if I'll look into custom stippling or grips that wrap the handle. And the sight is what I'd like to change up. I was told by RevV he used nail polish and it worked fine.

2. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

Edit: The target was in between 5-10 yards. Somewhere in the middle.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member

Pretty good shooting there.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

That range looks familiar...where do you live and shoot !?

5. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor Junior Member

You're doing fine. That low left thing is common for right handed shooters with a trigger pull that leaves something to be desired. I shoot left handed and mine go low and right. Just practice as often as you can. Work on keeping the sight on the target and squeezing the trigger while not thinking about the bang. Easier said than done, I know, but that translates to good shots.

6. ThreeTango

ThreeTango Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photo Drew.

7. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

Thanks fellas. I'll keep working on that and give another update on the next trip to the range

8. DrewManto

DrewManto New Member

I'm from northern Cali. This is the Gun Room in Elk Grove. It's close to home so it's pretty convenient.

9. RevV

RevV Member Supporter

Accuracy Tip: Firing from Trigger Reset Point

With an XD and perhaps most of the better, modern handguns, it's possible to fire follow-up shots from the point of trigger reset, rather than having to pull the trigger through the complete range of motion.

Doing this increases speed because the trigger travels less distance. More importantly, in my opinion, is how it increases accuracy by virtue of the fact that most of the resistance--and hence the tendency for barrel wiggle--is encountered at the beginning of the trigger pull, the part that one does not do when firing follow up shots from the point of trigger reset.

To do this, simply fire a round, let the trigger return SLOWLY, feel a "click" as the trigger moves away from you--that is your reset point--then, instead of allowing the trigger to continue its forward movement, pull it back, as you normally would to fire. It will fire, if you successfully found your reset point. If not, just keep trying. This is safe for your gun (the XD line for sure), and once one becomes proficient at it, it can do a lot to tighten up groups. :)

As for the normal "flinch," I've found that dry-fire WITH SNAP CAPS can help. The idea is to do enough dry-fire that you train your brain to NOT expect anything when you fire. I'm not there yet, but making progress.

Happy shooting!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017