Range Report on my first XDS-4.0 shooting experience

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory XD' started by JeremyMcG, Feb 4, 2015.

1. JeremyMcG

JeremyMcG Diapers or Ammo??

so, as a few of you know from a couple of other posts - I just purchased my first Springfield and my first .45 - I got an SDX-4.0 .45 ACP.

This is my new CCW weapon:
    [​IMG]

I am extremely happy, overall, with this weapon - but it is not without its issues. These are my complaints and your mileage may vary...as well as your shots.

I had the opportunity to take this new addition to the range today and fire it to make sure it works and that I work with it before using it as my primary CCW.

These are my Pros:

1) This thing fits my hand more perfectly than any other pistol I own.
    2) The balance with a loaded 7 round mag is about as perfect as a pistol can get.
    3) The sights are extremely easy to find and target acquisition is the same out of the box (for me) as my glock is after carrying it for 23 years.
    4) The grips are so aggressive you couldn't let this thing slip out of your hand even after wrestling in jello while covered in baby oil after being sneezed on by an elephant. If you lose your grip on this, it's because you got shot in the hand. There are no other excuses.
    5) Break down and field stripping is extremely fast and easy.
    6) The accuracy on this thing is amazing. I fired my first 7 rounds from exactly 21 feet with this result:

[​IMG]

Yes, I pulled one. Bite me.

7) Also on the pro side is just the overall ergonomics of this thing. It just feels easier to aim. There's something about the grip angle that's just more natural. It's as if it just wants to be on target.

1) The stock trigger is **** **** ****ty **** ****. Roughly 18 and a half miles of travel before what feels like a 10 pound take up. This trigger WILL get dumped and replaced. I don't care if it changes after a break-in period - it's ****ing hell and will be yanked out.
    2) Even though the grip is on the pro side, I'm also putting it on the con side. After shooting 120 rounds today, my hand is torn up. I feel like I was stroking a barbed wire fence. My palm pad is actually sore.
    3) It doesn't help that a compact .45 is brutal to shoot to begin with, but this is a jumpy little bastard and even after 120 rounds I still wasn't able to keep my double taps in the 10 ring at 21 feet. Still lethal shots, but not close groupings. Probably a new trigger and a softer rear grip insert will help that issue tremendously.

120 rounds - zero failures to fire: 1 failure to feed which was due to a bad round from a Winchester White Box.

Verdict: This is my new CCW weapon. I won't be shooting 120 in a self defense scenario...I'm too fat to carry that much ammo in my pockets. I may try to put some mole skin on the back of the grip the next time I go for an extended shoot, but ONLY for practice. For carry, I WANT the grip to bite into my hand like a snapping turtle.

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

Very nice picture! Glad to see it shoots to POA at 21 feet. NOT good to hear that the trigger pull was copied from a Glock.

Since it has a little rail out front, you might want to try one of these cool weights from Delta P:

Attached Files:

3. JeremyMcG

Not entirely sure whether to take you serious or not... :eek:

I picked 21ft (7 yards) because, well, FBI statistics... This was simply my test to see what I could do with the gun, out of the box, first time shooting.
    I'm not a marksman but I also understand 21 feet isn't that impressive. It was a simple out of the box test.

My glock trigger is fairly fantastic. The reset isn't as snappy as the one on the XDS, but the pull is SOOOOOO much better. I can see maybe I got a bad one,
    but I can't understand if I didn't, how/why so many people say the pull on the XDS isn't that bad. For me it was the worst trigger pull I've ever had.
    And that includes KelTeks and Cobray MP 11/9's... This was horrible.

I've spent the last two days dry-firing this thing to see if the trigger would get better. Probably close to 1000 cycles. There ---MAY--- be a slight improvement in it,
    or I may simply be getting used to it.

Either way - I can accept a little break-in, but holy hell...this is awful.
    Going to have to find a nice 3 to 4 pound trigger to put in this thing. 2 gizallion pounds is a bit much.

4. pokute

I'm always serious where guns are concerned.

Anyway, you need to decide whether this is going to be a range gun or an SD gun.

5. JeremyMcG

This is a pervasive issue that many people throw at me when I say I want my CCW to have a 3 to 4 pound trigger... and I almost always disagree with them.
    I'm assuming you are insinuating that I should maintain a heavier trigger on the gun that I'm going to carry, and if so, while I respect your ideas, I disagree with it - and here is why...

Every handgun I have either came with, or was changed to a very light trigger, with the exception of my Glock 40 cal.
    I've done a metric ton of training, especially for handguns. I was also in law enforcement for 12 years.
    The primary thing that I've taken away from this (which included scenario shooting with simunitions and live targets) is that in a high-stress situation, my fine motor coordination disappears.
    And by disappears, I mean my fingers feel as if they were replaced by gloved duck feet.

On all single action triggers that I have and/or have shot, I know that when I touch it in a defensive gun use scenario, it's going to fire. I don't have to squeeze much at all.
    However, when I am using the normal polymer pistol or any double-action revolver, I have to make a conscious effort to actually squeeze the trigger past the initial and into the take up.

For, and with the way I train with a CCW weapon - and one that is going to be carried as a primary CCW weapon and not be placed on the bed-stand at night, a very light trigger is the way to go.
    If pull my gun, it’s because I've identified a threat and the thread is imminent. If I pull my gun it's because I need to shoot, otherwise the weapon would have stayed in the holster.
    I don't pull it to dissuade someone from doing something - I pull it with the intent of pulling the trigger as the absolute last resort that I have given to me at that moment.
    I'm not worried about an accidental discharge at the target, because if it's pulled it's because I need to shoot.

Also, I train with the guns I carry. Which mean they are used on the range the same way I carry them. Same belt, same holster, same same.
    There, to me, should be no difference between your range gun you practice with and the gun to trust your life to.

I have and I maintain other guns in the home for home defense. Knowing I may be in a groggy, asleep or otherwise confused state where I can't or have difficulty identifying a threat.
    This is where I know the benefit of having a heavy trigger with a long takeup. In a HOME defense situation targets can be misidentified and that extra margin of safety is a necessary beast.
    I do not use my CCW for my home defense weapon. There are others for that which are better suited with lights and heavy triggers.

But to have a heavy trigger on a CCW is, to me, wrong.

6. pokute

I understand, but I'm sure you've heard of Glock Leg, and you know what causes it.

7. JeremyMcG

http://youtu.be/oW3-qXiyet0

That's a full review I did on the XDS.
    No action shots as its 6° out right now - but plenty of info on my likes and dislikes about this weapon.

8. pokute

VERY impressive video. I'm afraid I just lost any chance I thought I had of getting guns to review from Springfield!

I hope you don't feel that I was trying to tell you your business. I am a competition shooter, and I belong to a club that has been active since the 70's and has not had a single accident. If I see somebody post something in a forum that I think is unsafe for THE AVERAGE SHOOTER, I'm going to call it, just like I would be required to do on the line.

9. JeremyMcG

Thank you for the compliments. Coming from a person with the experience and standing you have that means a lot.

And I completely understand when you are referencing the "average shooter." :).

(Never in my life have I purchased anything for the express purpose of killing zombies).

Again - thanks for the comments on the video.

My YouTube channel for guns and ammo reviews: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu0re9BmVKm6rU4n5xPyJn2d0cBAlHAKT

10. pokute

Experience and standing? Now I KNOW you are pulling MY leg! I stand largely on the experience of my shooting partner, who does have vast experience (do YOU know anybody who shot 200,000 rounds in three years? He buys bullets 10 cases at a time.), and who shot a 37/40 with a Winchester lever gun - standing, open sights. I've seen him hit a 400 yard gong 5 times consecutively with an M1 and a Mauser , standing, open sights.

The fact that folks in this forum put up with me boggles the mind. I've been banned from much bigger forums than this (to paraphrase Groucho Marx).

11. JeremyMcG

12. pokute

But you were shooting them into the air! If Alan were doing the shooting there wouldn't be a single person left alive in the Mideast or Colombia!

13. JeremyMcG

My PRP spring kit came in today.
    Using a layman trigger scale I was averaging 8lbs 13 ounces on the stock trigger. And I hated it.

After I installed the spring kit I have an average of 5 pounds 12 ounces.
    That's substantially better, but I'd really like to lose those last 12 ounces.

Has anyone tried a full sear replacement?

My YouTube channel for guns and ammo reviews: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu0re9BmVKm6rU4n5xPyJn2d0cBAlHAKT

14. Tex8390

Tex8390 New Member

I've been wanting to do some work on my trigger too. You're right, out of the box, they're just too damn heavy. I just haven't had the time to sit down and make it the way I'd like to have it.

15. Tex8390

Tex8390 New Member

Just watched your video. Very nice. I have to disagree with you on one point though. I have the XDS & a SA-XD 9 mm. I was very surprised at the lack of snap the XDS had. Especially comparing it to the 9mm. That 9 flat hurts my hand after 100 rounds or so. The 45 doesn't. But, my EDC is a 4.5" .45 XDM. My wife decided she liked the XDS so much that... Well... You know. Also, I cut a rubber inner tube and put on the grip of my XDS. Even though the grip is aggressive I found that if my hand starts to sweat, it liked to slip. Problem solved and it doesn't chew up my hand at the range. Great video! Gotta go. Gotta watch your other videos! ImageUploadedBySpringfield Forum1434321013.768000.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015