Range Officer...First Shoot.

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Fried One, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Fried One

Fried One New Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm a new 1911 Range Officer owner. Have yet to shoot my RO. Is it recommended to field strip and clean before the first trip to the range. Would a light oiling do instead. I have never owned a parkerized firearm before and was wondering what is the best product and method to clean and or shine the finish.
    Thanks in advance.

2. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Senior Member

jimkahler likes this.

3. unclebob

unclebob Active Member

Welcome from Northern Illinois..
    I purchased my first 1911 in December and it is also a Range Officer.
    It makes me look like a real shooter.
    I always clean mine before and after every outing
    I use a Lucas gun products for cleaning and lubing and I soak the outside with Rem Oil.
    The finish will soak it up and if you are looking for any shine I believe you are out of luck.
    Good luck with your new purchase...

IMG_20180122_125735306 (1).jpg

4. Jbardellini

Jbardellini Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum congratulations on your RO

5. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

Once a pistol has been cleaned after use, there is no point in cleaning it prior to going to a range for a match or practice. Unless the period exceeds months. Good ammunition keeps a barrel clean and 1 pull through cleans that. The residue on the ramp and and side takes 10 seconds to lightly clean and then a few drops of oil, period. I tend to degrease the pistol after around 3000 rounds, then re oil and good to go. I also change the recoil spring once a year and the firing pin. I never ever use jacketed ammo, rips hell out of the barrel. Also most factory ammunition is way to high in muzzle velocity and serves no purpose. Load your own ammo and that's an advantage. Muzzle flip is similar with factory ammunition and reloads, so all training is good. Wear and tear on the exterior is normal from holster wear. it's like a car, it gets dirty.

6. Tinyman

Tinyman Member

Ok, you state "It is recommended. . ." Who or what recommended this? Was it the owners manul? Youtube? Google? The guy next door? If it was the owners manual, I would suggest following the book. Me personally, I field strip, clean & lube BEFORE the first round is fired.

Not sure if Voltaire answered your original question but I think I did. Keep us updated.

7. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

Tinyman, what you wrote in reply to Fired One in your last sentence is what i recommended and have done with numerous pistols and rifles i have owned. New pistols like when i purchased the XD some 2 years ago. The pistol is field stripped, and examined. Then the barrel pulled through and all examined. I place an empty case into the chamber to see if it is tight, then removed, then i place the case into the extractor and see it holds. I lightly oil the groves on the slide and a drop into the sear and trigger. Reassemble and rack several times. I then pull apart each magazine and look to see the spring and base are ok. I then load each magazine with red dummy rounds (Red hand made) i have and insert magazine into the pistol and rack them through the pistol, never once pulling the trigger, just racking them through. All takes about 15 minutes, i am then familiar with the pistol and i know all parts function. Sometimes the follower on the magazine have burrs so with a nail file (a 1 second stroke) i make sure the followers slide up smoothly. I find 99% of pistols need 3-5 hundred rounds fired for them to be run in, no exceptions in pistols.

8. Tinyman

Tinyman Member

Are you following the owners manual or just "how you do it"? Sounds like you're doing fine.

9. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

I have never in 30 + years of shooting ever read an owners manual. Pistols since my first Colt 45 are 1911 Browning design and simple, but need attention to small items. I usually at the range shoot a few rounds to see where the brass land, i want the brass 5 ft to my right not closer or further. Most companies put in a recoil spring to heavy and the brass lands 2 ft to the right i change it for a lighter spring. Hammer springs i usually change as well. I also if mag loading is hard cut one coil off. An owners manual is there to teach people to look after their pistol and ensure that nothing goes wrong ever and that the company can if something goes wrong claim you failed to follow instructions and deny liability.

10. Tinyman

Tinyman Member

Come on Volt -- the OP just asked if he shoiuld wipe it with oil or field strip -- you're adding too much.

Where the brass lands
    Recoil springs light vs heavy
    YOU fail to read the owners manual (stupid IMO)

Just let this drop.

11. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

Not sure i like being called stupid, however that is your call. Recoil springs are important, it affects muzzle flip, i assume you knew that. Trigger spring affects trigger pull, a 6-8lb (usual )trigger pull is there from factories so when a pistol is needed in an emergency the novice operator does not get nervous and as he pulls the pistol from the holster the pistol discharges. So you shoot what? Where does your brass land? What is in your owners manual that you did not already know? One can never be given to much advice, what a person does with that is up to them, learn WHY. Do you practice shooting with your pistol at 50 yards or shoot at 7 yards because someone told you that is the normal distance you could expect to use your firearm? Try 50, great training. Oh! and change your recoil and trigger spring it does help and does not ruin the pistol. I even replaced the trigger assembly on my XD when it arrived because the reset and trigger pull was disgraceful. Read all about it in one of my posts. Thank you.

12. Tinyman

Tinyman Member

Didn't call you stupid, buck -- what I called stupid is NOT READING THE FRICKIN MANUAL. Don't you understand my post #10? Fried One asked a question and YOU went off into the frickin outback. Come back to normal -- it's great here.

13. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

All one can do is provide information to some questions. May as well put it all out there and allow the reader to choose what they see as good advice or other, what they may think about adopting or rejecting. Not information overload just information. I knows it's great here has been for years, and we all see it differently. You have a great day on the range and shoot well. Buy the way, on which page of instruction books does it deal with Stove piping, squib rounds and how to remove projectiles in the barrel?

14. Tinyman

Tinyman Member

My Dad told me never to argue with a female -- I'm done.

15. Voltaire

Voltaire Member

I always thought a forum was a place people who hold different views could make their thoughts known and the readers could choose to read all views and adopt the best there is as it applies. Some it appears have no views or have very little knowledge or experience to share. Their comments are at best one line found in some obscure manual. I will wait for a reply to what i have posted and have it explained to me what information i posted that is not correct or not relevant. I can also learn from someone as learned as my fellow contributor. PS, your father may have been incorrect in his advise, as we are not arguing. Try and learn, it mat well help your shooting.

16. Tinyman

Tinyman Member

Last try.
    #1 -- OP asked a question -- have you answered that question, yes or no?
    #2 -- Since you have such vast knowledge on firearms, what is the title of either your book or any published works by you on the subject of firearms.
    #3 -- Me learning consists of first reading a manual provided free from the firearm manufacturer -- THAT doesn't make me shoot any better, practice does.
    #4 -- You are correct and my father is wrong -- we are not arguing, YOU SIMPLY CAN'T ANSWER QUESTIONS posted by the person who started this thread (who asked ONE SIMPLE QUESTION) before you went off into whatever you wanted to ramble on-and-on about (which didn't answer his question). I'll give you an example:
    #5 -- What color is the sky? Voltaires answer: You have to be safe when you get into an airplane because of possible multiple burps in the left (or) right engine.

Yes, there was an answer that shows you're smart but it didn't answer the original question.

#6 -- NOW i'm out.

Voltaire likes this.
  17. unclebob

unclebob Active Member

Wow!!
    My last post was in 2018, now I remember why I have not checked back.