Quality Comparison

Discussion in 'Springfield Armory M1911' started by Deadeye, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Went to the range yesterday with my SA 1911A1. I took a friend along who hadn't been to this particular range before, and he brought his 1911. His gun is a High Standard version. I looked his gun over and saw that it's stamped "made in Phillipines" on the underside of the dust cover. When we were done shooting we both field stripped our guns to clean them (there's a nice place to do so right at the range) and I had the opportunity to do a comparison of the two guns. The difference in the manufacturing quality was quite evident. The craftsmanship put into the SA was far better than the High Standard. Fit and function were also much better. Also, being that we are both at about the same level of shooting ability, my groups were tighter and better placed than his were. This held true when we switched guns too. The High Standard did not shoot as well as the SA. The High Standard also had two stove pipes, which I noted since we were both using the same ammo. Some of this may be coincidental, of course. I just thought I'd put it out there. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. pokute

pokute Sincere as a $5 funeral

The High Standard 1911 is, as you discovered, made by Armscor in the Philippines. High Standard has passed from being a mark of the truly highest standards (the finest target pistol of all time, the USRA pistol, was their crowning achievement - Designed by Walter Roper, their chief engineer), to being nothing more than a name.

Armscor pistols have gone through a revolution in quality in recent years, but they are a commodity maker of low price-point guns, and their 1911's do not bear comparison with SA guns selling for twice the price (or more). I was able to make an Armscor pistol shoot extraordinarily well by doing nothing more than installing an oversize link.

Armscor pistols are commonly out of tolerance (undersize pin holes are common) and will present special problems if used as the base gun for a custom build. A GI Armscor 1911 would be a tough and reliable SD gun. Armscor barrels are typically parkerized inside the bore. This is done as an expedient to prevent corrosion at the factory.

Swapping out sights on an Armscor gun is a nightmare, since the factory sight installation method practically ruins the dovetails. JB Weld will save much frustration when replacing sights on an Armscor gun :p

3. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

My friend payed $500 for his High Standard brand new. It came in a plastic case with one spare magazine. I bought my SA 1911A1 from it's original owner for the same price, and got the blue plastic case, two spare magazines, the holster and magazine holder and cleaning rod that "the package" comes with. I think that I got the better deal.

4. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

My friend thinks so too. There's going to be a used High Standard 1911 on the market soon. Anybody selling a used SA?

5. pokute

You got a helluva deal. Your friend paid for some gun dealer to have a steak dinner with all the trimmings, and throw a few bowling balls in the bargain.

Now, if you ever see a High Standard USRA pistol for $500...

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9457792

6. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Thanks! I thought it seemed like a decent buy at the time, but I didn't know how good it really was.

7. preventec47

preventec47 New Member

Arent all the Springfield pistols now made in Brazil or Argentina ? ? ?

8. pokute

You forgot Croatia.

Argentina??

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  9. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Perhaps made by the descendants of retired German military advisors?

10. preventec47

preventec47 New Member

The one Rock Island Armory pistol I drool over is the 10mm caliber
    1911 version. I have not however heard of how well it holds up to
    thousands of shots fired of that much more powerful round.

11. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

I've had no experience with the 10mm. Didn't the FBI go with a S&W 10mm for a short time?

12. pokute

10mm is an excellent round. There's no reason to worry about the 1911 standing up to the 10mm, it handles it just fine. I run 200gr bullets at ~1200fps in mine.

The FBI said it hurt their agents' tender little hands.

By the way, most of the edgy loads for the 10mm can be used in a govt 45acp if your barrel has good case head support and you run upgraded springs. Should only be attempted by very experienced reloaders intimately familiar with the 1911 platform. An HG68 in soft lead going close to 1200fps would be devastating.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  13. pokute

Do we really have emoticons like those?!

14. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

Yes! You can pretty much carry on a conversation just using emoticons. Here's what to use when buying a new gun:

15. pokute

16. pokute

How come yours are in color?

17. Deadeye

Deadeye New Member

I thought they all were. Your's are an interesting shade of brown.

18. pokute

Mine are just black outlines to me and look more like curling stones than anything else.