Springfield Armory Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve owned my Spring Field XD9 for about 6 months I personally love the firearm I have a compact XD 4.4” and have no major issues but I’ve heard my mixed emotions from some owners and reasons they don’t daily carry one what’s your thoughts?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can't speak for yours, since I have two MOD-2 pistols in 9mm, one a compact and one tactical.
My only issue is that I never have enough ammo.
Both of mine have been flawless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't speak for yours, since I have two MOD-2 pistols in 9mm, one a compact and one tactical.
My only issue is that I never have enough ammo.
Both of mine have been flawless.
Nice...! I want a Mod 2 I feel like every time I’m at my FFL they have the basics on the shelf and I have to always ask for the good stuff recently went into turners outdoors man (California Location) and the didn’t have the Springfield Armory Saint Edge I was looking for they said they would have to special order it for me to hold and check which meant I had to actually initiate a sale and Dros for the firearm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Springfield Armory XD9 is nothing special. It is not expensive, made overseas in Croatia, and features the polymer lower section to reduce weight. It has massive competition from Glock, S&W, Beretta, CZ PO9, and possibly many others. You get what you pay for, in all things. Buy a cheap car, it will let you down when you need it, buy a cheap pistol, it may be the death of you. For well less than $1000 for all those i mention what do you expect? I find the XD is way to light and muzzle flip is annoying (a good grip required). In defense of the XD i love my 9mm. Easy to strip, clean and the breech face is open at top. Most dealers promote what has the best margin and stock what is popular. Dealers i find have no favorites and even sell Beretta which at best make good paper weights. My favorite better pistols are Nighthawk, STI, Sig Sauer, Kimber and the new Israeli Bul series. In my favorites 5 i can guarantee you that there are people who say they have heard, seen, experience issues. Some people just have not got a clue. The SA XD series i find are extremely well made and very reliable, however i have only since i purchased my Tactical put some 7,000 rounds through it. The barrel is great and to group 6" at 25 yards is easy. However with my STI Trojan in 9mm i can group at 50 + yards and have quicker follow up shots. The trigger pull on the XD series is disgustingly long and has a bad reset. But for some $150+/- there are trigger drop in kits made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Springfield Armory XD9 is nothing special. It is not expensive, made overseas in Croatia, and features the polymer lower section to reduce weight. It has massive competition from Glock, S&W, Beretta, CZ PO9, and possibly many others. You get what you pay for, in all things. Buy a cheap car, it will let you down when you need it, buy a cheap pistol, it may be the death of you. For well less than $1000 for all those i mention what do you expect? I find the XD is way to light and muzzle flip is annoying (a good grip required). In defense of the XD i love my 9mm. Easy to strip, clean and the breech face is open at top. Most dealers promote what has the best margin and stock what is popular. Dealers i find have no favorites and even sell Beretta which at best make good paper weights. My favorite better pistols are Nighthawk, STI, Sig Sauer, Kimber and the new Israeli Bul series. In my favorites 5 i can guarantee you that there are people who say they have heard, seen, experience issues. Some people just have not got a clue. The SA XD series i find are extremely well made and very reliable, however i have only since i purchased my Tactical put some 7,000 rounds through it. The barrel is great and to group 6" at 25 yards is easy. However with my STI Trojan in 9mm i can group at 50 + yards and have quicker follow up shots. The trigger pull on the XD series is disgustingly long and has a bad reset. But for some $150+/- there are trigger drop in kits made.
Digging this , it’s definitely a fair and honest review of a firearm that is build well , this is probably the most honest review I have seen stated , that’s not yet on YouTube , I like the weight of the firearm , I honestly do agree trigger pull is long and recoil is a little less then stellar but at a range of About 25 yards it’s easy to group fairly well , field strip is easy and cleaning it is a breeze , and many may not care or agree but I do find it a little annoying that the finish on the slide scratches and blemishes quite easily but then again it’s a firearm and will wear over time regardless of how well it’s taken care of so I guess that’s the last thing to worry about on the list

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a XDS 9mm for daily concealed carry. I do like it! Only thing is, I have issues with Horniday critical defense ammo. It tends to jam while racking the slide. Won’t feed properly so I instead run federal with no issues at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a XDS 9mm for daily concealed carry. I do like it! Only thing is, I have issues with Horniday critical defense ammo. It tends to jam while racking the slide. Won’t feed properly so I instead run federal with no issues at all.
Can i ask, what is the overall length of both rounds. In my XD i use my own reloads and use Federal; Syntech, never an issue. Never heard of ammunition jamming when racking in a particular pistol. Have you contacted Horniday manufacturer?

·
Uno Ab Alto
421 Posts
I have an XDS .45ACP here. With the 3.3" barrel length it can be a bit of a handful but the extended magazines with the pinky extension help mitigate that. Muzzle rise is about as expected for such a short barreled, large caliber pistol.

While the short barrel is not optimal for super accurate shooting, it's relatively accurate and I can hit center of mass consistently which is all I really need for an EDC.

I like the grip and have no problem maintaining control of the weapon during shooting. The slide is nice and slick once it wears in a bit. At first it was pretty stiff but that went away after about 100 rounds or so.

After about 50 concurrent rounds or so it does start to wear on the pad of the thumb and things will be a bit sore the next day but not debilitating in any way. It will hammer you though.

It's easy to break down, clean and re-assemble.

Mine has been flawless with no repairs or failures experienced.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have noted that pistol owners here who use various calibers and pistol types stating how many rounds they have fired from they CCW or service pistol without any issues.
I first purchased my XD tactical 9mm in September last year. Took it to the range and from memory put 300 rounds through it, and in the following weeks put another 2000 or so though it. Pistols when new and built to strict tolerances need some 500 (i prefer 1000) rounds through them to begin to function correctly. That allows the pistol to sufficiently be run in and the owner to become familiar with it. The recoil, muzzle rise, reloading etc. Personally i hate any pistol with excessive muzzle rise, (.45), as they do not allow a quick follow up shot. A follow up shot when it is needed, immediately. We all have different applications for what we own and shoot. I am a great fan when i carried of the S&W model 19, not using .357 mag as they had massive muzzle rise, so i used only .38 special +p. In autos I still swear by an all metal frame, 4.5" or 4" barrel which SA manufacture as well as many others. Preference is .40cal but a good round in a 9mm +p works. After owning and using one constantly for a year and putting say 5 thousand down range we can say the pistol is function as it should. I expect no fault to occur in less than 50,000 rounds, none.

·
536 Posts
David, some people on here seem to be pros with fat wallets. I'm neither a pro nor wealthy.
I'm just a middle class guy with significant experience and firearm knowledge. With that caveat, here's my take on the XD line.

I primarily carried a 38 Special from 2001 until 2014. My pistol (auto) of choice during those years was my Glock 22 (40 S&W). I had 1911s, but I preferred the Glock; still do. To each is own!

I became a XD fan one day at the range in 2014. I shot a friend's regular XD--like yours, not a Mod 2--chambered in 45 ACP. I shot it better than my good old Glock 22. Note: I generally avoid saying one firearm is better than another; what I'm saying is the the XD performed amazingly well me.

Shortly after that day at the range, I traded in one of my 1911s on a XD Mod 2 .45 ACP. That XD replaced my 38 for daily carry. Since then, I've picked up a XD Mod 2 9mm and a XDs 9mm. I LOVE ALL 3 OF MY XD FAMILY PISTOLS. I would take any of the 3 of them over any of the other concealable handguns I own.

I stop counting rounds at 500. All 3 of my XD family pistols have way more than 500 rds. through them and none of them have ever malfunctioned in my hands. (There have been a few user error caused failures in the hands of others, but that's true of my Glocks also.) The XD family of pistols is extremely durable, reliable, and well-made. And despite the beefy XD slide, they are still lighter than a venerable CZ 75 or 1911.
But these are just my opinions.

·
536 Posts
I also would avoid Critical Defense and Duty in a XD. I carry Speer Gold Dot in mine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a MOD-2 9mm in a Compact and Tactical.
They have been flawless with every brand ammo including factory FMJ, reloads and Critical Defense.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am sorry, i purchase a 9mm firearm in good faith. All 9mm have a chamber for the case and the projectle sits partially in the barrel as it loads. There can be NO 9mm manufacturer in the world that could/would produce a round that will not chamber. According to my Winchester loading bible ALL 9mm ammo is in a case that has the following dimensions, period. Base; .394, length; .751/2, opening for projectile .380. Loading is from 95gr FMJ, 147 grn JHP, and everything in between. Overall length with seated projectile; 1.11-1.16. I always use 1.12. The powder used in factory ammunition works and the rounds function. Projectiles take your pick, Partition HG, Silvertip HP, FMJ, Jacketed soft hollow point and numerous others on the market. Recently i purchased several boxes of Federal Syntech rounds. I knew 100% that when loaded my XD and ZC would function 100%. There is no point in a manufacturer making rounds that will not feed. Secondly i am not a strong supporter of any particular projectile (FMJ etc), but when i need to i always use P+ rounds and sometimes p+p. p+ gives, more energy in FMJ and with a good barrel CZ, Glock etc good to go. However as the user you and you alone decide what you use and why.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The XD is way too heavy? And muzzle flip is annoying??? The handgun is not light at all, it's comes in at around 27 Oz. Ever heard of a Glock? They're like 22 Oz. Also muzzle flip is extremely minor due to the double recoil spring.
My XD40 is lighter recoiling than my P01 9mm.

XD is extremely high quality handgun for the price. You get so an unbelievable amount of features and the reliability is second to none.

I can't even think of one drawback personally. They're very failty priced, safe, accurate, extremely well built with reinforced chamber, extended guide rod... The handgun is a steal for 399 which seems to be what everyone is charging.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The XD is way too heavy? And muzzle flip is annoying??? The handgun is not light at all, it's comes in at around 27 Oz. Ever heard of a Glock? They're like 22 Oz. Also muzzle flip is extremely minor due to the double recoil spring.
My XD40 is lighter recoiling than my P01 9mm.

XD is extremely high quality handgun for the price. You get so an unbelievable amount of features and the reliability is second to none.

I can't even think of one drawback personally. They're very failty priced, safe, accurate, extremely well built with reinforced chamber, extended guide rod... The handgun is a steal for 399 which seems to be what everyone is charging.
I do not agree with any of your comments. Guess we see things differently for different reasons. XD's are made in Croatia and are built to a price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my kimber 1911 is the biggest POS I've ever bought. I've had to send it back twice. They sent me a new one the 2nd time and it's a FTF nightmare. Never had a single issue on any of my polymer guns. To each their own but you can have kimber. I'm done with them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Kimber pistols are possibly one of the better brands, not the best but good. I have owned one chambered in .357 Sig and it was very reliable, accurate and no complaints. Guess if a manufacturer produced thousands one with a problem might slip through the cracks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts